18L G40 Ichabod (X) vs. weddingsinger (A) w/ 17

• '17

For future reference, I usually don’t ever battle calc bombers as being a defense hit point. It’s too much of a waste of an expensive unit that I don’t really buy many of. Maybe if I’m allies sending US bombers to Moscow or India. How this battle played out, I would not have used the German bomber as a hit point.

Also, before dice thrown, the attackers’ expected TUV was -71 (if the bomber is a hit); but if the bomber is not part of the calculation, it was -82.

Since you buy more bombers than me, you might want to consider this as a philosophy yourself; never use bombers as a hit point when battle calculating defense. They are too precious to lose rolling 1s for 1 round.

• Good point.

Usually I don’t think about that since a battle I know I can’t win is rare.  In this case I simply wanted to do as much damage as I could and figured all my units attacked on par as defense (since I had so much artillery) and your attack on Moscow would absolutely crush me, this would cost you more units totally, even though it would free them up a round early.

• If you’d like to swap out casualties, go ahead since OOL is very much a thing in these games.

• '17

@weddingsinger:

If you’d like to swap out casualties, go ahead since OOL is very much a thing in these games.

I appreciate that! If you look at the expected Battle Calc results of the battle vs the outcome, you’ll see that your Soldiers/Artillery got in a pretty good outcome. The bomber could have never been a casualty and Germany could have easily ended up with more units on the board.

If you agree for me to swap out a bomber for an artillery, I would appreciate that.

I’ll wait for your reply before conducing Japan’s turn.

• '17

@weddingsinger:

Good point.Â

Usually I don’t think about that since a battle I know I can’t win is rare.  In this case I simply wanted to do as much damage as I could and figured all my units attacked on par as defense

I understand. In the critical first roll, Russia could have got 2-3 more hits while if Germany got like 4-6 less hits…could have flipped the odds.

As far as the bomber thing goes, in one of my first league games, Russia was counter attacking me like you just did. The opponent asked for OOL. I said best defense OOL…he rolled 1 round, got good dice, killed my 5 German bombers and then retreated back to Moscow (where he added 3 more UK fighters). Losing those 5 bombers kept me from being able to attack with good odds Moscow and the US stack in Finland (which was my main focus at that time). I felt silly for losing 60 IPCs in precious bombers when I had no need to do so.

Like mentioned in the post above, I’ll wait for your response about trading an artillery for my bomber back.

• Yes, of course swap it out.

• '17

TripleA Move Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 7

Purchase Units - Japanese
                Japanese buy 2 destroyers, 1 factory_minor, 2 fighters, 7 infantry and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 6 SuicideAttackTokens;

Combat Move - Japanese
                1 infantry moved from Siberia to Sakha
                      Japanese take Sakha from Russians
                1 infantry moved from Siberia to Soviet Far East
                      Japanese take Soviet Far East from Russians
                1 artillery moved from Korea to 6 Sea Zone
                1 artillery and 1 transport moved from 6 Sea Zone to 26 Sea Zone
                1 artillery moved from 26 Sea Zone to Hawaiian Islands
                1 infantry moved from Tsinghai to Kansu
                      Japanese take Kansu from Chinese
                1 artillery and 4 infantry moved from Suiyuyan to Chahar
                1 bomber moved from Kweichow to Chahar
                1 bomber moved from Kweichow to Chahar
                2 battleships, 2 carriers, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer, 2 fighters, 2 submarines and 2 tactical_bombers moved from 39 Sea Zone to 80 Sea Zone
                2 tactical_bombers moved from India to 80 Sea Zone
                1 submarine moved from 45 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
                1 submarine moved from 55 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Philippines to 35 Sea Zone
                1 carrier and 1 destroyer moved from 6 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
                1 destroyer moved from 6 Sea Zone to 8 Sea Zone
                2 fighters moved from 6 Sea Zone to Japan
                4 fighters moved from 6 Sea Zone to 8 Sea Zone
                2 submarines moved from 6 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from Kwangsi to Kwangtung
                1 infantry moved from Yunnan to Kwangsi

triplea_42711_Jap7.tsvg

• We’re both getting error messages and can’t upload files manually, so doing by email.

• '17

Sent the file for Italy’s combat moves…asking if you want to intercept the bombing raid on Norway.

• '17

Ridiculous that you still had a fighter to intercept with…and a huge air force…should have been thinned way more in that sea battle against Germany earlier.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m