Welcome! If you're a returning member of the forums, please reset your password. If you don't receive an email within minutes, it means your account is listed under another, likely older, email address. Contact webmaster@axisandallies.org for help.

From the Journal of a B-17 Top Turret Gunner

• 2019 2018

Several years ago, I had the great honor and privilege of meeting Chief Master Sergeant Ted Hood (USAF, Retired). He served in the Air Force for 31 years, a career stretching from World War II to Vietnam. During WWII, Hood was the top turret gunner/engineer of a B-17 in the 306th Bomb Group. He flew 35 missions over occupied Europe, the first of which was on 6 June 1944.

CMSGT Hood (who passed away two years ago this month) was kind enough to let me read the journal he kept during WWII, as well as copy a passage or two. I stumbled upon this in my files and thought the folks here could appreciate it. Hood described the following to me as “an interesting day.”

“7 OCT 1944 – Today I learned that a man can resign himself to death without being panicky.  Went to Ruhland, south of Big “B” (Berlin).  Lost #1 before we hit the target.  Salvoed bombs.  Had to drop back from formation.  Made 4 runs on 4 targets.  Flak was heavy at each target.  All wings reported fighters at I.P. and rally point.  Ran low on gas.  #2 quit.  Robbed gas from #4, restarted #2.  Threw all guns, ammo, flak suits, spare radio equipment out.  Prepared to ditch.  Sighted land.  Prepared to crash on beach.  Made 90 degree turn saw a runway, let down on it.  #4 quit as we hit runway and #3 caught on fire as we stopped.  Had 15 gals of gas left in #2.  Rest of tanks dry…3 Boeing people from London checked ship, said no way we should have made the last 300 miles.”
    “8 OCT 1944 – Went to Mass.”

• That’s the scary thing about being part of a bomber wing, if the enemy’s AA guns or Fighters don’t get you, the lack of fuel surely would

Welcome to the new forums! For security and technical reasons, we did not migrate your password. Therefore to get started, please reset your password. You may use your email address or username. Please note that your username is not your display name.

If you're having problems, please send an email to webmaster@axisandallies.org

T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games

Users

Topics

1.3m