• haha, that’s the funniest darn thing I ever heard :lol:

• That tops all the dumb things i say???

• That and saying Ike was a bad president double ouch :wink:

• tell me how he was so great!

• #1: After the inauguration, it soon became clear that Eisenhower’s policy was not to go on the offensive in the Korean War, but to end it.
    #2: Eisenhower was able to secure an armistice with N. Korea and China without the use of nuclear weapons, which might’ve brought about WWIII.
    #3: Advised against Vietnam, knowing what consequences it held. But was favorable to the path of Containment to stop flow of “Reds.”
    #4: Didn’t send troops to Hungary knowing it might result in WWIII (for an army general he was quite dovish). He believed that Communism was a bad system that would someday collapse on its own. (Even I have to agree with him against those Soviets)
    #5: Turned down recommendations by members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that he launch a first-strike nuclear attack on the Soviets while the United States still had more atomic bombs. (Yeah, I guess preventing nuclear annihilation is a sign of a good president)
    #6: First president to involve the United States in Middle Eastern politics. Supported Egypt in subsequent war with embargo on NATO allies (!). Rejected such gunboat diplomacy.
    #7: Eisenhower supported other countries in Africa and Asia as they struggled to win their independence. (You like this part Horten, he rejected claims to help the French try to put down Algerian independence)

Good sized list. Only covers foreign policy in first term. Like to go into domestic policy?

Eisenhower may not be best president, but it’s wrong putting him on the same level as that damnedYankee Grant. He helped prevent nuclear war on more than one occasion.

• his advisors did most of his thinking…kinda like regan. when the most important ones died in the end of his administration, he stopped really doing anything!

• Eisenhower was a good president. :) An vital part of presidency is choosing the right administrators for the correct cabinet positions. Don’t forget that George Washington had to appoint his own staff because he could not commit to being everywhere at one. None of this was ever written in the United States Constitution; nevertheless Mr. Washington knew the tough challenges governing a entire nation would bring. Imagine how much more presidents have to oversee today.

• Profiling should be done by country of birth.

• Profiling should be done by country of birth.

And Ike should have saved hungary.

• “his advisors did most of his thinking…kinda like regan.”

How could this be considered bad thing? Really would you like someone like Bush (Jr.) running most of the country or his competent, capable secretaries and administrators?

“Eisenhower was a good president. An vital part of presidency is choosing the right administrators for the correct cabinet positions. Don’t forget that George Washington had to appoint his own staff because he could not commit to being everywhere at one. None of this was ever written in the United States Constitution; nevertheless Mr. Washington knew the tough challenges governing a entire nation would bring. Imagine how much more presidents have to oversee today.”

Well, it nice to see someone agree, even if it does happen to be TM. Choosing the right Cabinet is key to any president, just look an Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, and Jimmy Carter for those who didn’t.

“Profiling should be done by country of birth.”

I can’t really agree with this statement here.

“And Ike should have saved hungary.”

Sure, Ike could’ve send in troops into Hungary, but in a period of high tensions, that probably would’ve led to World War III right then and there. Again, in Vietnam and Korea, Americans didn’t go up against Russian troops (except for Volunteers and Weapons expertise), but a war against the Soviets themselves could’ve triggered nuclear devastation. Especially, if the Military Planners planned to launched pre-emptive first strike attacks, which they were planning to do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m