• Why are people opposed to racial profiling in airports? When you look for criminals, why don’t you investigate their characteristics? Racial origin and skin color is important in certain situations in my opinion. For instance, in airports, we are so PC in America (at times) that instead of double checking people who have the appearance of a terrorists, we’re just randomly checking everyone. What sense does that make?

I have nothing against arabs or muslims. And yes, I understand that it could be shameful to be singled out, but you know what is a bigger shame? Three thousand dead people. Other characteristics besides race should be profiled as well.

I know no one asked to hear this, but I would like to see what others think about this subject.

• i totaly agree.
    the secuity can go way to far though.
    in canada durring the week of rememberance day (nov 11) people were getting there poppys taken away becase they had pins in them.

• Racial profiling, never really agreed with it. Why? Let me give you this case.

Say America fully adopted racial profiling meaning that they checked every single Middle Eastern person because they “looked like terrorists.” However to make up for the lost time, let’s say the security guards refrained from checking any Anglo-Saxon. However, what’s to prevent the terrorists from getting smart an employing their own blonde haired, blue-eyed John Walker (even if it was against that persons own free will)? Since we’re racial profiling, there’s no percentage of even checking this guy since he doesn’t “match the description.”

• '19 Moderator

I think that profileing is a good tool if used properly. You don’t lax the security for some one who doesn’t fit the profile but I sure don’t mind if the bump it up a notch for those that look the part.

• Indeed, Dezrtfish, and that’s exactly how I think most security personel are trained.

• On 2002-03-30 22:02, dezrtfish wrote:
    I think that profileing is a good tool if used properly. You don’t lax the security for some one who doesn’t fit the profile but I sure don’t mind if the bump it up a notch for those that look the part.

exactly.

I like the system in Israel and Europe now. if someone agrees to an intensive background check, and thye are deemed not a threat, they don’t have to be checked at all. it might sound flawed, but it seems to work.

• Now, the idea of an extensive back ground check. THat sounds like a much better idea if widely implemented.

• how is it checked, do you carry around a card saying you have undergone the background check and if so whats perventing a tarorist from muging someone and getting this card.

• it works in israel. i guess finger prints, dna info, retina scan info, who knows… i would believe the card is hard to fake.

• I’ll tell you why Racial Profiling if bad. I took a flight last night, and they offered my Grandmother a wheelchair ride from Check in to the gate. When we got to security, only her bag went through it, she never went through a metal detector. She could of had a gun in her purse and no one would of noticed.

• '19 Moderator

That is just bad security. Paying extra attention to people who fit a profile doesn’t meen you let people through how look like some ones grandmother with no check.

This problem has been in the news lately. I don’t have the numbers with me but it was tsagering howmany weapons were allowed through Airport security.

I don’t think the amount ao security in Isreal will ever be allowed here. You are recquired to fill out a security questionare in which, if you’ve ever been to an Arib country you must explian when were and why. You will also have to pass no less than 3 security check points. They have the right to stirp search you, and there are always a minimum of 2 armed guards on every flight.

But, they have not had a successful hyjacking in like 30 years.

• Teh main problem I see would be so called air marshals. If you to be required to have on airmarshal aboard on every flight, do you know how much money this would cost? Billions of dollars. As for Israel, what do you expect from a nation currently in national turmoil. I would expect nor approve if America’s conditions were that high during peacetime.

• Btw, what do you guys think of the developments in Israel this last week. Israel is jailing Arafat in his compound, not allowing him any contact to the outside world, and asking him to DO something! What the hell is he gonna do?

Egypt pulling out of Israel, I can see other countries not hesitating to do so.

Ariel Sharon is the worst Prime Minister (from my point of view) In Israel for a long time. Hell, Israelies voted out their best hope for peace during a special election (Sorry, its late, I forget the guy’s name)

Now, Israel takes military action and screws over their chances for peace. If it continues, the UN would probably side with Palestine.

Now, I ask you, why does the US stay in Israel? They produce nothing of worth, have no oil, and we no longer need them as a presence there to fight against the Soviets! I think we should pull out, put our aid somewhere where its better spent, either on Humanitarian aid or US interests.

Put money into these (IMO)

(a) Somalia - We gave up 9 years ago
    (b) Fight Against Aids - There is always a cure, we just need to fund it
    © Other Middle Eastern Countries - Jorden needs it a hell of a lot more than Israel, Jorden doesnt even have enough water for it’s own people.
    (d) Home - Domestic issues. Social Secuirity (which we need to get rid of entirely, the system is flawed), and Economic issues.
    (e) Pay off our Debt!

• Oh, and 3,000 dead? You know how many people die from Cigarrettes Daily? 5,250 people die directly from Cigarrette linked diseases every day. Stuff like Black Lung.

You wanna save lives? Make Smoking illegal. Hell, go for the full effort, make Alchohol illegal. That will save lives, not spending billions fighting terrorists futally and kiling more innocents than Innocents died on 9/11.

• I hope that you were being sarcastic about the information reading cigars and alcohol. Anyways, I agree on the other points. American funnels billons of dollars worth of money and equipment to Israel each year (but you have to understand American supports other countries to a lesser degree). I would love to see our nation debt paid off, though that will probably never happen. However, the truth about AIDs is that it can never be completely cured or eradicated. The main problem is that HIV is a very special virus that alters is form at an astronomical rate compared with other viruses. Simply put, a cure that worked 5 years ago wouldn’t work today.

• Smallpox was eraticated. Smallpox killed more people than Aids. And it spread much more easily.

• Well the genetic make up of HIV and smallpox is very different. Both are spread differently, have different symptons, among others.

• And HIV is the prime concern of medical researchers. Also, medical science has come a long way since the 80s, when Aids was the prime concern of the world. Public awareness has grown, as has public funding. If we want it, we can get it.

• I think that the prevention of AIDs through public funded awareness and safety regulations would do more to eradicating AIDs then finding a cure. As you know AIDs is a very hard virus to spread if you take the necessary safety precautions.

• Yanny you are dead wrong. Israel is basically a rock, but a very well sstrategically placed rock. America spends 30 billion dollars in military spending in Asia (korea and japan.) 150 billion dollars protecting europe from the USSR (which is gone.) 1.8 billion dollars in military assistance to israel, whose army is worth 150 billion dollars of american spending a year…and yet we spend that much in europe, against what enemy? Israel is america’s stronghold in the middleeast, andwhen it comes to money, it’s a 97% off deal.

"Btw, what do you guys think of the developments in Israel this last week. Israel is jailing Arafat in his compound, not allowing him any contact to the outside world, and asking him to DO something! What the hell is he gonna do? "

Arafat makes Sharron look like he wants peace (and remember, sharron is popular from the early 1980s because of his brutality.) You see, the israelis are trying to insult arafat, which is stupid. That is the most they can do to him without touching him. The israeli attack has been succesful, because they have killed the men behind some attacks and suicide attacks against civilian populations have stopped. The palestinians leave israel no choice but to do a military occupation (and hey, if they were already “occupied”, what is this called?)

I’m pissed off at bush for not supporting israel…he is only brown-nosing arab states that do not support any attack on iraq.

Yanny, i think the guy before sharon was Barak…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m