Global 1940 1st edition vs 2nd edition

• What are the major changes?  I was under the impression it was merely a rulebook change.  But, my friend is adamant that there are other major changes…

• @twmattox:

What are the major changes?  I was under the impression it was merely a rulebook change.  But, my friend is adamant that there are other major changes…

There has been a long phase of “Alpha-development”, documented here:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=40

Better see the rulebooks here: http://avalonhill.wizards.com/rules

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Next to the changes in rules there where a few changes to the game board and components as well, but form a game play perspective they don’t have any real impact. I might miss a few of the changes, but these are the one I do recall:

game board

• Yukon and British Columbia are merged into Western Canada

• Added border between Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba and Central United States

• Added border between Quebec and New Brunswick Nova Scotia

• Made Mexico longer to end at bottom of Sea Zone 10

• Correct spelling of Palau

• Correct spelling of Suiyuan

• Removed ‘Burma Road’ name

• French Equatorial Africa layout change so it is now in line
      with rest of the board (first line wider then second line)

• Added income tracker to top of map

components

• Anzac got it’s own sculpts

• Card board AA guns replaced with sculpts (german art is now their AA gun and they got a new art sculpt)

• No seperate income tracker as it’s now located on the board

I’m pretty sure there where some other sculpt changes as well, but I don’t know the details by heart.

• @Tjoek:

I’m pretty sure there where some other sculpt changes as well, but I don’t know the details by heart.

The German artillery piece is now a genuine field artillery piece (the 105mm LeFH 18 howitzer), while the 88mm FLAK is now correctly being used as an AAA piece.

ANZAC and Italy now have a full set of nation-unique sculpts.  ANZAC also gets its own infantry sculpt, which it lacked in the 1st edition; Italy already had one, and retains it.

All the players powers (except for China, which only has infantry) now have an AAA sculpt; all but France have a nation-unique one.

The US, ANZAC, Germany, Japan and Italy now all have a 14-unit sculpt array (infantry + 13 equipment types) of fully nation-unique sculpts.  The UK lacks a nation-unique naval transport and the USSR lacks a nation-unique aircraft carrier, but they can be obtained from A&A 1941, which fills both gaps.  A&A 1941 can also conveniently provide China with a P-40 Warhawk fighter, which is the actual aircraft used by the Flying Tigers.

France continues to have a nation-unique infantry sculpt, and its equipment pieces continue to be clones of the Soviet sculpts; however, the Soviet sculpt upgrades in the 2nd editon are reflected in France’s 2nd edition sculpts.

• '19 '17 '16

This isn’t exhaustive but:

• Mongolian rules changed a fair bit.
    • minor to major factory in Berlin
    • scramble rules became logical (1st ed: no scramble from coasts e.g. London but unlimited from islands)
    • UK units added to starting units (converted from French units). Don’t know why.
    • Ukraine minor factory added

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m