Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures

• Actually if they set the game in WWI it would work okay since there were limited air assets. Of course then they couldn’t leverage the A&A name. :|

• Founder TripleA Admin

A&A Naval Miniatures will not be out for some time. Some predictions are August but it might be een later than that.

• @Audacity:

Has anyone actually seen this game in the stores?  My son is joining the Navy and I thought he might like it.

He might not have space to store his minis for a while, assuming you plan on him taking them along. I retired from the Navy this year and I can tell you that space is at a premium for the new guys. If he draws shore duty for his first set of orders he’ll have the space (and the envy of his classmates).

• I am wondering if they make the two sets stand alone, the orginal and now war at sea.  I am going to be a little miffed.  I am hopping to be able to have some good ole island invasions…  But I am sure if nothing else I will buy just to collect the pieces…

• @djensen:

A&A Naval Miniatures will not be out for some time. Some predictions are August but it might be een later than that.

It will be April at the latest.

@starwiz01:

I am wondering if they make the two sets stand alone, the orginal and now war at sea.  I am going to be a little miffed.  I am hopping to be able to have some good ole island invasions…  But I am sure if nothing else I will buy just to collect the pieces…

They aren’t compatible. You can use both of them on a strategic and tactical maps to play a larger campaign (eg Axis & Allies board) but even then you won’t be using units from both games in the same battle.

• Oh well,  I guess I was hoping for to much to be able to really combine the two sets.    But I am sure I will have fun any.  Can’t wait till they hit the stores…

• I have to say WOW, you should see this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20070129c

The war at sea release will be on March 26th, I need to save some money 'till there  :-D

• I expect I’ll have a hard time resisting!

• Founder TripleA Admin

You should read the articles on the website. I found a site that has some photos of the actual minis with measurements.

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/240

@BenitothePanzer:

I have to say WOW, you should see this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20070129c

The war at sea release will be on March 26th, I need to save some money 'till there  :-D

• My local store only received three booster packs instead of the three cases of War at Sea that they had ordered.  One case was for me.  Now they’re waiting for the proper shipment.

How are people finding the new game?

• I just opened my case last night.  I’m very impressed.  A couple of minis are bent, but there’s ways to fix that.  I apparently ordered a case of Axis Naval Miniatures, I’m one Italian BB away from an Axis set.  Only two Allied minis, Hood and Salt Lake City.

• I just bought a starter kit and a booster awhile ago.  I didn’t buy a lot like other people cause I want to see how the game is before I get committed to getting a larger collection.  I do hope I get a battleship or an aircraft carrier.  :-D

• I played Naval Miniatures yesterday.  It was actually pretty fun.  The rules are much better than the Starwars: Starship Battles game that came out a little while back.  (In case you’ve played the game, too).  There’s a decent amount of strategy involved, though the smaller point-size battles you run, the more luck comes into play.  The system includes rules both for doing a small amount of damage to an enemy ship per succefful hit, or for doing enough vital damage to completely destroy a target in one hit.  (The Hood also has its own special “design flaw” rule for getting killed in a single hit.)

In the game I played, I was Japan.  My fleet consisted of the Yamato, two carrers, 7 flights of planes, one sub, one destroyer, and one small sub-chaser.  My opponent played the US.  He had the Iowa, the Washington, the Tenessee, one destroyer, and two subs.

In the early game, as the two fleets were closing, my planes managed to sink one of the subs, get a couple torpedo hits on the Washington, and sink the lone American destroyer.  Once the two fleets came together, I used some skillfull manuevering to draw the Iowa in close and negate its range advantage.  Then the Yamato charged in to point blank range and did enough vital damage to send the Iowa to the bottom in a single salvo.  At the same time, my lowly 4-point sub-chaser took out the other American sub.  My opponent then made the mistake of focusing all his remaining power on the Yamato, instead of going after my carriers and trying to get a point victory.  The Yamato took quite a pounding, but its heavy armor held up long enough for it to chase down and sink both the Washington and the Tenessee, winning the game.

• The lure of a sea battle is great.  I only hope the WoC distribution gets sorted quickly and that I get my pieces soon.

How long did this engagement take to play out?  Interesting that I just picked up a used video of Readers Digest on WWII Naval battles.  In it were the stories of the Battle of the Atlantic, Coral Sea, Midway, Leyte Gulf and Okinnowa.  A neat piece of this game seems to be the ability to use ships named exactly for real ships in the war.

thanks for the battle report.

• @Audacity:

The lure of a sea battle is great.  I only hope the WoC distribution gets sorted quickly and that I get my pieces soon.

How long did this engagement take to play out?  Interesting that I just picked up a used video of Readers Digest on WWII Naval battles.  In it were the stories of the Battle of the Atlantic, Coral Sea, Midway, Leyte Gulf and Okinnowa.  A neat piece of this game seems to be the ability to use ships named exactly for real ships in the war.

thanks for the battle report.

The battle went fairly quick.  Maybe about an hour.  We played with 200 point fleets, instead of the standard 100 points, so things would go even faster probably if you went with only 100.  If you have enough pieces, though, I’d play with 200 or 300 point fleets.  The rules are nice, but there’s still a lot of dice rolling involved.  With smaller fleets, one lucky roll can drastically change the entire course of a battle.  With larget fleets, stuff starts to average out a bit more and good strategy can overcome a few bad dice rolls.

• Yay my WaS minis came!!  I didnt get any carriers but I did get an Italian BS.  Here are some pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• More pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• @Mechanized:

Yay my WaS minis came!!  I didnt get any carriers but I did get an Italian BS.  Here are some pics.

Is that an Atlanta?  I’ve opened a starter and 13 boosters and have yet to find one  :oops:

• @unc_samurai:

@Mechanized:

Yay my WaS minis came!!  I didnt get any carriers but I did get an Italian BS.  Here are some pics.

Is that an Atlanta?  I’ve opened a starter and 13 boosters and have yet to find one  :oops:

Which picture are you referring to?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m