Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures

• I will be interested to see how they incorporate aircraft and carriers.  Two-player action is rather difficult when you have a Battle of the Coral Sea where your fleets are out of eyesight.

This also brings my nugget of wisdom for the day:
    “Never play Command at Sea with a tailor.”

• Is it compatible with A&AM? Or is it a seperate game? If it can’t mix I don’t want it.

-=Grim=-

• Founder TripleA Admin

It looks like a separate game with separate rules. And most of the time it makes sense. Your KV-1 isn’t going to be very useful out to sea.

• Well, my KV-1 isn’t going out to sea, but my ships can bombard the French coastline while my homeboy tries to send his planes out to take them out… that’s what I was hoping.

-=Grim=-

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yeah, that could be fun. If the games are officially separate, I hope at the very least the rules will be compatible so that you have the option of combining them.

I heard that the D-Day release coming with a beach map.

• i just hope its compatible with the current a&a miniatures that we are playng n colllecting now so that we cn integrate the two maps (land maps n sea maps) so that it cn b interesting to play… :-D

• About the only way a ship of destroyer size and up would be compatable with the ground game is a second set of cards giving some sort of bombardment value.  15mm does not lend itself well to any naval vessel larger than PT boats and LCPVs.

• As far as combining the two games, why not just have it so the naval vessels aren’t actually present in the conflict, kinda like in regular D-day?  Y’know, have each ship fire once per turn, at targets a certain distance inland?  Just assign each type of ship a certain point value, based on its strengths/weaknesses…  :|

• I am guessing they will let you use the planes but I doubt anything else. I can’t decide if I hate them or love them. The minis make me all warm and squishy, but my poor poor pocketbook. Whatever, I will be buying whatever they come out with. They are finally giving me the genere I have been begging for. Gotta support that.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I imagine that they will target the exact same demographic and players as the current A&A Minis sets. With that in mind, I doubt they will start to release sets any faster than they are now. It just might be longer intervals between the naval and regular sets. Maybes something like: 3 months: regular; 3 months later: naval; 3 months later: regular; 3 months later: naval; and so on. So you could potentially spend less money if you don’t like the naval game.

• @djensen:

It looks like a separate game with separate rules. And most of the time it makes sense. Your KV-1 isn’t going to be very useful out to sea.

What a pity !

• The prospect of landing craft really sounds intriguing.  I’m hoping that the Naval Minis will work as standalone AND with the originals.  Plus, you could have special naval-only aircraft.

• @Mistelten:

The prospect of landing craft really sounds intriguing

I’m actually anticipating the Higgins Landing Craft being in the D-Day set. It better be or I’m gonna go down to WotC and learn 'em good.  :-D

-=Grim=-

• If the War at Sea minis only consist of ships and fighters, and do not cross over with the original game, will you still buy it?

I’m kind of wondering how tactics will work out.  By this time, the biggest damage done to ships was from aircraft, but they still had the big guns.  Strafing or T tactics from the gunships wouldn’t be totally outmoded.

• I’ve actually worked out a more or less complete ruleset for how I would implement A&AM Naval, just need to get around to play testing it…  Aircraft are the sticky wicket when it comes to making rules for this kind of game, because the scale of their movement speed is just so hard to reconcile with the scale of the ships’ movement speed.  A&AM has gotten around this by just instantly placing aircraft where they’re wanted and then removing them at the end of the turn, but in a naval game you can’t just eliminate the route to the target, because you’ve got to be able to set up fighter intercepts, AA picket ships, and possible routes around these defenses…

I’m hesitant to actually post what I’ve come up with though, cause wouldn’t ya know that would then just happen to end up being the rules for the actual game and I’d never see a dime  :wink:

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes. I would still buy it.

@Mistelten:

If the War at Sea minis only consist of ships and fighters, and do not cross over with the original game, will you still buy it?

I’m kind of wondering how tactics will work out.  By this time, the biggest damage done to ships was from aircraft, but they still had the big guns.  Strafing or T tactics from the gunships wouldn’t be totally outmoded.

• I’m pretty sure I’d only buy it if it were separate from the original game… I can’t think of any way to incorporate the ground war mechanics in a sensible way.  Actually, I’d buy it anyway cause I’m a naval nut, but I’d use my own rules.

• i would by it to if it was different from the original.  all of the rules and turns would have to be different to accommodate the differences in battle forms.  It is going to take longer to move and attack on the sea then on the ground.  Cover will have to be retooled obviously

• Has anyone actually seen this game in the stores?  My son is joining the Navy and I thought he might like it.

• Actually if they set the game in WWI it would work okay since there were limited air assets. Of course then they couldn’t leverage the A&A name. :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m