Battle of the Atlantic Movie Coming March 2019

• @Caesar:

the Battle of the Atlantic since that battle was very one sided

The Battle of the Atlantic was ultimately won by the Allies, but it wasn’t one-sided.  The advantage swung back and forth several times – sometimes dramatically – between the two sides during the war.  The subtitles of Clay Blair’s two-volume history of the Battle of the Atlantic, “Hitler’s U-Boat War”, pretty much sums up who [from the point of view of the U-boats] had the upper hand at what time [with exceptions, since there were swings during each half of the war]: “The Hunters, 1939-1942” and “The Hunted, 1942-1945”.

• @CWO:

@Caesar:

the Battle of the Atlantic since that battle was very one sided

The Battle of the Atlantic was ultimately won by the Allies, but it wasn’t one-sided.  The advantage swung back and forth several times – sometimes dramatically – between the two sides during the war.  The subtitles of Clay Blair’s two-volume history of the Battle of the Atlantic, “Hitler’s U-Boat War”, pretty much sums up who [from the point of view of the U-boats] had the upper hand at what time [with exceptions, since there were swings during each half of the war]: “The Hunters, 1939-1942” and “The Hunted, 1942-1945”.

You nailed it CWO.

• It was one sides, Germany and Italy’s only advantage was operating their submarines inside the Bomber Gap, neither fleet could take the US or British fleet head on in the Atlantic.

• @Caesar:

Germany and Italy’s only advantage was operating their submarines inside the Bomber Gap

If the mid-Atlantic bomber gap (which did indeed exist) was Germany’s only advantage in the U-boat campaign, how did Germany manage to sink three million tons of Allies shipping (about 25% of their total score for the entire Second World War) off the east coast of the United States during the first half of 1942, and lose only 22 U-boats in the process?

• @CWO:

@Caesar:

Germany and Italy’s only advantage was operating their submarines inside the Bomber Gap

If the mid-Atlantic bomber gap (which did indeed exist) was Germany’s only advantage in the U-boat campaign, how did Germany manage to sink three million tons of Allies shipping (about 25% of their total score for the entire Second World War) off the east coast of the United States during the first half of 1942, and lose only 22 U-boats in the process?

Just because I said the Bomber Gap a great strength doesn’t mean that carriers automatically beat Submarines. Remind me again how many ships and total strength the allies lost compared to the Axis, I just can’t seem to remember.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Caesar:

I am going to pass on this, I don’t like seeing movies about the Battle of the Atlantic since that battle was very one sided and almost every movie ignores Italy being part of it.

Which side I wonder?

I just looked at the stats - Allied manpower losses are basically 2-1 against axis.  66,000 dead to 30,000 axis.  And ships is 3-1 axis, and planes is about 800 to nil.

Sure Axis lost the war but just looking at those stats they put up a HELL of a fight in the Atlantic.

Bet this movie will be great!

• '17 '16 '15

Hope it’s better than Dunkirk. The fighter pilot was cool and the civilian captain wasn’t too bad, but all and all, not that good imo

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@barney:

Hope it’s better than Dunkirk. The fighter pilot was cool and the civilian captain wasn’t too bad, but all and all, not that good imo

Dunkirk is a very misunderstood film.  It’s a HORROR movie.  Not a War movie.  There is a big difference.

Hence all the music, not seeing the enemy till the end, all the intensity etc…

• '17 '16 '15

That’s a very good point Garg. That’s exactly what is. Wasn’t quite what I was expecting

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m