• So I am a little confused on subs…

I get that they can submerge if there is no destroyer, but what I dont get is…

1. If there are 2 subs in a sea zone…i attempt to do combat with my battleship, can they just ignore the combat and submerge…meaning i never evern get a shot at them?

2. I dont understand there suprise attack…the book says that they go first…both attacking and defending subs…so if i do a first strike are my hits killed instantly like in the original game?  the rule book on page 30 states that you move all hit units too the casuality zone…that makes no sense too me…

3. If I am doing a first strike, does the enemy subs go before normal combat as well?

All in all, please explain subs in general…thanks so much

slo

• @slo:

1. If there are 2 subs in a sea zone….i attempt to do combat with my battleship, can they just ignore the combat and submerge…meaning i never evern get a shot at them?

That is why you need a destroyer to cancel the sub’s “submersible”-ability.

@slo:

2. I dont understand there suprise attack…the book says that they go first…both attacking and defending subs…so if i do a first strike are my hits killed instantly like in the original game?  the rule book on page 30 states that you move all hit units too the casuality zone…that makes no sense too me…

In case no destroyer is present on either side, submarines from both sides get their surprise strikes. In this case defending submarines that were chosen as casualty from attacking subs’ surprise strikes still conduct their surprise strike before they are removed from the game.
    Just think of it as attacking and defending surprise strikes occuring “at the same time”.

All of this happens during the “Submarine Surprise Strike or Submerge-Phase” (Phase 2) of the General Combat sequence (page 18).

@slo:

3. If I am doing a first strike, does the enemy subs go before normal combat as well?

Yes, as long as there is no opposing destroyer present. See the answers before.

HTH :-)

• ok, thanks…

so let me see if I got this.

during a first strike, the hits are removed instantly, unless its a sub, then it gets its first strike as well.

if there is a destroyer, I know that subs cannot submerge, but do they still get there suprise attack??

• @slo:

during a first strike, the hits are removed instantly, unless its a sub, then it gets its first strike as well.

A battleship still needs to be hit twice before it will be removed.

@slo:

if there is a destroyer, I know that subs cannot submerge, but do they still get there suprise attack??

No, as the enemy destroyer cancels the sub’s Surprise Strike-ability (see unit profiles page 29/30).

• thank you soooo much….

wish you could come over for our big game on Monday!!

• You are welcome.

Just collect your questions as they occur during the game - and we can sort it out here later, then.

:-)

• I wish this group had an instant chat ability for our game day!!!

thanks again all…

• Hi,
    I too have been searching for answers but in a simple sub vs. sub context. Manual, pg 18,“Step 2, General Combat…both attacking and defending submarines can choose to either make a Surprise Strike or Submerge…”,pg 30,“Submarines, Special Abilities, Submersible:…The decision is made before any dice are rolled by either side (the attacker decides first) and takes effect immediately.”, this is reasserted on pg 4 of the March 2009 FAQ, “Submarines Q. Exactly when is the decision made whether or not to submerge submarines? A. The decision whether to submerge submarines is made before any dice are rolled by either side in an exchange of fire , and the subs submerge immediately. The attacker decides before the defender.”. “Decides” does not equate to “attacks”.
    BGG Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition, Forum, Rules, Sept, 2009, “Can a submarine ever be attacked without a destroyer present because of the ability to submerge first”. Kevin Chapman ( Patron) answers,“…so a sub can only attack another sub if the defender chooses to fight (or there is an attacking destroyer)”.
    BGG (as above), in " subs vs other naval units", has other useful comments by Kevin Chapman and Don Moody on this subject.
    I like the imagery of this implementation. A lone sub,or two causing isolated mayhem before sinking into the depths or just driving for their pens, until, at the slightest indication of an attack,“Dive, dive dive”. What is wrong with that…until a destroyer turns them from buccaneers of the sea into desperate survivors hoping only to escape!.
    Cheers.

• @s.farresque:

Hi,
    I too have been searching for answers but in a simple sub vs. sub context. Manual, pg 18,“Step 2, General Combat…both attacking and defending submarines can choose to either make a Surprise Strike or Submerge…”,pg 30,“Submarines, Special Abilities, Submersible:…The decision is made before any dice are rolled by either side (the attacker decides first) and takes effect immediately.”, this is reasserted on pg 4 of the March 2009 FAQ, “Submarines Q. Exactly when is the decision made whether or not to submerge submarines? A. The decision whether to submerge submarines is made before any dice are rolled by either side in an exchange of fire , and the subs submerge immediately. The attacker decides before the defender.”. “Decides” does not equate to “attacks”.
    BGG Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition, Forum, Rules, Sept, 2009, “Can a submarine ever be attacked without a destroyer present because of the ability to submerge first”. Kevin Chapman ( Patron) answers,“…so a sub can only attack another sub if the defender chooses to fight (or there is an attacking destroyer)”.
    BGG (as above), in " subs vs other naval units", has other useful comments by Kevin Chapman and Don Moody on this subject.
    I like the imagery of this implementation. A lone sub,or two causing isolated mayhem before sinking into the depths or just driving for their pens, until, at the slightest indication of an attack,“Dive, dive dive”. What is wrong with that…until a destroyer turns them from buccaneers of the sea into desperate survivors hoping only to escape!.
    Cheers.

Was there a question in there somewhere?  You initially said you were searching for answers but never really asked any question(s).  Just trying to end your search for answers

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m