[House Rules] Germany round 1 buyings

• Germany is definitely the hardest Axis nation to play with. It is maybe (competition with UK) the hardest nation to play at all. Germany has so many options, on air, sea and ground level. It is confronted on all sides from 3 major Allied powers  The key to victory with Germany is to play it skillfully. And the key for playing it on a high level is to buy smart. And the most important buying on Rd 1, not just for the Germany or the Axis but all, is Germany 1, since it determines the (Axis) game in a sort of way.

Lets see what are Germanys options, since there are many.

Germany (rd 1) buyings:

1) AC, destroyer, submarine

A really interesting bid which helps to fulfil the gaps in Germany`s navy.

2) AC, two transports

A powerful bid with strengthening the navy and threating with an early Sea Lion.

3) Three fighters

A very versatile bid, since those 3 figs can be used in many ways.

4) Five submarines
    A powerful bid. If Japan does not DOW early on, Germany can plunder much of the UK IPC for a few rounds.

5) Five tanks

Strong ofensive bid for rushing to Moscow.

6) 10 infantry

Strong defensive bid for stacking key territories in the east.

7) Eight infantry, 1 submarine

The same as last one, with one sub just to aid in the Atlantic.
    8) Six mechanised infantry, 1 submarine

Defensive bid, bud with more tactical options in the east.

9) Six artillery, 1 submarine

Very offensive, but more patient one. Pretty powerful when does art come to the east.

10) Four tanks, 1 submarine

Similar as the 5 tanks bid, just with one sub to aid in the Atlantic.

11) Two bombarders, 1 submarine
    Pretty interesting bid. Bombarders can strife from Iceland to Egypt and the sub is an extra help in the Atlantic.

12) Two submarines, 1 destroyer, two marines

An interesting one too. Destroyer helps for the navy, marines are ready for bat and cruiser, and two subs along.

13) Five artillery, two marines

Pretty ofensive bid, with more options in the Atlantic.

14) Five mechanised infantry, two marines

Defensive bid, bud with more tactical options in the east plus the Atlantic options.
    15) One bombarder, 1 destroyer, two marines

A nice combination for expanding in the Atlantic.

16) 3 tanks, 3 mech

A nice land combination for striking East soon and strong.

17) 3 art, 6 inf

Something slower, but still a powerfull land combination for striking the East.

18) 1 bat, 2 marines

Interesting buy aiming at Atlantic domination.

19) 2 figs, 2 marines

Combination of air and sealand power.

20) major IC

Put in either Romania or Slovakia Hungary brings Germany much closer to the Soviet factories.

Moderator’s edit: Added tag [House Rules] to title.

• Hi. Thats a lot of options!

I find it easier to spend in sets of $10  at a time.

2inf + 1art = $10 for slow

1mot + 1 arm = 10 for fast.

$10 will also buy 1 small ship or 1 aircraft ( almost)

Its then a question of working out the air land sea mix.

This depends on your turn 5 goals. Do you want to be in moscow london or egypt?

• I agree with U. It really depends upon what is your strategy with Germany. Some buyings are cleraly benefitiary in the favour of one strategy, some aren`t but have more width.

I just wanted to emphasize the importance of G1 buy since it determines R1, UK1, USA1 buy and even the game as a whole (at least before DOW).

Germany is a land, air and naval power, and that 30 IPC G1 buy really has a lot of good options.

• I have also seen 6 art 2 inf a LOT.  It is similar to several options you gave, but still different.  I see this often enough that I think it warrants a mention.

• 100% depends on 1) your main priority; and 2) what you want to project to the Allied players.

The wrong buy on G1 can tell UK that they don’t have to spend to defend London right away, so go ahead and focus on Africa/ME, which can then threaten Italy or support Russia/UKPac

I like a good flexible buy.  I always have bombers and subs to limit the UK as best I can, and those bombers come in very handy against Russia, or to help keep the Med clear for Italy.  So often I grab a bomber or two on G1 so that on G2 I can bomb London or go East with them, or even to the Med, if UK is coming in force there.

• '21 '18 '16

no one mentioned the sit and wait option of buying nothing and basically seeing how round 1 pans out.
    Assume you take France, Finland, Bulgaria, Yugo, S France you basically have about 98 IPC for turn 2. then you can decide a path.
    Not the common option but fun to try out one time if you haven’t done it.

• @seancb:

no one mentioned the sit and wait option of buying nothing and basically seeing how round 1 pans out.
    Assume you take France, Finland, Bulgaria, Yugo, S France you basically have about 98 IPC for turn 2. then you can decide a path.

So you are going to G3 DOW on Russia then :wink:

• '21 '18 '16

Correct AEV

• '19 '17 '16

@aequitas:

@seancb:

So you are going to G3 DOW on Russia then :wink:

I think this option leaves Sea Lion well and truly on the table. I think in all cases this option is inferior to buying 1 bomber and saving the rest but it hardly denies you other options from Barbarossa.

• Buying nothing have worked out well.

The big advantage is that it forces UK to assume you have bought for sealion, without you actually having to spend on a navy. So you force UK to buy 6 inf + 1 ftrs, instead of 2 inf and 2 fighter or 5 inf and 1 IC

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Buying nothing is not a good plan - you will delay critical troops needed on the front, or critical naval and air placements; Axis and Allies is about getting your money into the game and getting it to work for you as soon as possible.

Pretty much every option is better than buying nothing.

• How about a Bomber, Fighter, and a Destroyer

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I like 1 transport, 1 destroyer, 1 infantry, and 3 artillery.

Buying a second transport allows you to adequately reinforce Scandinavia. It’s useful against England in a Sea Lion, and it’s useful against Leningrad in Barbarossa. You need that second transport right away so that you gain an early superiority in Scandinavia and can push the Russians out of Leningrad with fewer casualties.

Buying a destroyer lets you clear the Russian sub from the Baltic and then (unless that sub gets lucky and rolls a 1) later on you can use the German DD to clear enemy subs from the Norwegian convoy zone. You need that destroyer right away so that you can safely declare war against Russia on G2 if a Yugoslavian strafe goes well, and so that you have time to get the destroyer out to Norway and pick off the White Sea Russian sub before the UK can rebuild its navy.

Buying 3 artillery lets you add a lot more punch to your initial assault on Russia at a low and affordable price. You need the artillery on the first turn because after that it’s just too slow to expect 1-movement units built in Germany to make much difference to the attack on Moscow.

Finally, the 1 infantry is handy as cannon fodder to transport to Norway or to protect Western Germany if a British transport survived.

• @Gargantua:

Buying nothing is not a good plan - you will delay critical troops needed on the front, or critical naval and air placements; Axis and Allies is about getting your money into the game and getting it to work for you as soon as possible.

Pretty much every option is better than buying nothing.

I agree.

I think it is better to buy 2 bombers, 1 sub or 3 figs on G1 than to buy nothing.

That how U saved the neutrality of buying but still put ur troops ready to action.

But, we have to say that even buying nothing is a buying strategy  :lol:

• TripleA

sub 3 mech 2 tank if you g1 dow russia.
    sub 2 bomber standard g2/g3 dow russia or invade london.

The gold standard of buys. Everything else is sub optimal. Why is that? For the G1 dow Germany is attacking 7 infantry, france (all in, no normandy or southern france, can’t risk losing mech/armor for 2 or 3 ipc better to let italy do it and use arty round 2 for normandy) attempting to strafe yugoslavia, sinking one of the two fleets (usually the bship 2 cruiser), sinking dd trans with 2 sub, and sub to sz 125 to prevent Russia NO.

For a standard game the 2 bombers have more potential. They sink naval, you could fly everything to southern italy and attack egypt, if allies park on syria with air you can attack it, bombers could bomb london and you can buy transports to take uk out of the game if UK disrespects you. The bombers are able to attack and take russia in later rounds unlike naval. Oh and bombing the Russians typically puts on a hurt G4/G5, which can occur before allies start flying fighters in.  You do whatever attacks you prefer g1.

Since you use marines as an example, it seems you are playing g40 mod3, in which case sub optimal strategies become better… but g40 mod3 still heavily favors axis. Germany still brings in the pain train, except instead of a 21 ipc bid you get NO money. So initial allies attacks and defenses are diminished, this puts more pressure on the axis to play more aggressive, which they want to do anyway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m