• I noticed that all of the strategies for russia on this site assume an unrestricted russia. Does anybody have some strategies and first turn moves for a restricted russia?

-Mike

• throw 7 inf and one tank in yakut. throw 8 inf you bought, and every force you have in karelia. keep one inf in caucasus. move your navy to britain.

how do you like?

• Well since Russia is restricted, it seems kind of obvious that there’s not much to do. Therefore nobody needs to write a Guide on it. However, if you really want to know some general principles for USSR I suggest:
    1. Move the USSR sub and trans to the British homeislands.
    2. Consolidate your forces in Kerilia and leave a small garrison in the Caucasus. Divert some inf from Russia to the East.
    3. Retreat your forces from Soviet Far East to create a strong Yakrut Front.
    3. (or) move you forces from Yakrut to the Soviet Far East.
    4. Retreat your tank from Asia Russia back to Europe.

These are usually principles I stick to as they place USSR in a strong defensive position on both sides of the globe.

Never before have we had so little time in which to do so much

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-29 19:50 ]

• I’d leave more than just 1 INF in Caucases–1 INF makes it too easy for Germany to take with a minimum of losses in the counterattack–you want 'em to hafta put a few units in there so you can destroy them next turn: make 'em think twice. Also, don’t leave Soviet Far East totally unoccupied-leave at least an INF or 2 there. Same reason more or less…

Otherwise, do what Horten says…

Ozone27

• Well when I mean small garrison, I don’t mean only one 1 inf. However, make sure Kerilia is safe (since it offers the most vantage points for a German attack), before pumping forces into the Caucasus.

For Asia Russia? Usually I try to keep all my inf together since it’s much to easy for Japan to take Soviet Far East defended only by two inf… Then my main defensive force would be lowered to 5 inf.

• I wasn’t disagreeing with your strategy in Caucases, mainly Horten’s…as far as the far East I try to maintain a flow of 1 INF per turn to there if possible.

I agree that Yakut is more defendible and therefore more important, but leaving SFE totally empty makes it too easy for Japan to take it with no losses or Sea-movement by landing an ARM in Manchuria and blitzing it–while attacking Yakut at the same time…however 1 INF will do for this purpose if you want…

Ozone27

[ This Message was edited by: Ozone27 on 2002-03-29 21:03 ]

• Also don’t forget Novosibirsk–a couple of INF stationed there come in very handy on a rainy day! An ARM or 2 there is even handier…

Ozone27

[ This Message was edited by: Ozone27 on 2002-03-29 21:03 ]

• Can a ARM blitz from a transport after landing?

As for the ARM in Russia, I rather save it up for European operations or at least when I know that German is in such a bad condition that I can start to transfer forces to the East (around T4).

• C’mon, T–obviously I am talking about Japan landing an ARM and moving next turn. I know you can’t land an ARM and blitz.

As far as the ARM, they often do just as much good in Novosibirsk as anywhere else. Should Germany take Karelia or Caucases, you can still use them in a counterattack. Plus they are available for operations in China/Manchuria as well…though I agree that Europe comes first–only move armor out of Russia/Karelia when you can really afford it…

Ozone27

• The way it sounds, the conuqest of Yakrut and Soviet Far East sounds like a two turn invasion. Land your arm in Manchuria and blitz through the Far East to attack Yakrut. However, what’s to prvent Japan from transporting forces to the Soviet Far East on the first turn and just attacking Yakrut the next turn? Two inf. aren’t exactly the greatest deterrent and probably won’t even score a hit.

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-30 00:11 ]

• Russia usually counterattacks manchuria, and so, japan usually takes out every single russian force before a blitzkreig is even possible by a rogue jap tank.

Unless germany is being hammered, it is hard to be diverting forces to asia. at times, germany gets lucky enough to take minimal casualties, and take moscow by turn 4, even if you are constantly buying 8 inf.

"–------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I’d leave more than just 1 INF in Caucases–1 INF makes it too easy for Germany to take with a minimum of losses in the counterattack–you want 'em to hafta put a few units in there so you can destroy them next turn: make 'em think twice. Also, don’t leave Soviet Far East totally unoccupied-leave at least an INF or 2 there. Same reason more or less…

Otherwise, do what Horten says… "

I’ll try leaving more, but i have seen what happens when russia leaves a single grain of rice out of karelia (at times as little as one less fighter.) I’ll try putting more in cacasus, to see what happens.

• Yeah, that’s why I refrain from attacking Japan first with Russia. Now in the case of Russia, I agree with you. I will never devert more than 1 or 2 inf. from Russia to the Far East since it would hinder my war effort with Germany.

• Move your Inf. in SFE to Yakut, sometimes you have to make sacrafices like that. That makes it harder for the Japanese. Move all your units in russia, cept the fighter, to the Caucas(or however you spell it) and place the fighter and all the infantry you bought (which should be :cool: into Karelia. This should make a solid wall on all your fronts that will make the facist dogs think twice before attacking you.

• '10

I like to place one of my fighters in Yakut. It gives Russia alot more flexibility on the eastern front.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m