Grasshopper & Gargantua's 3G40 Deluxe Edition (Updated October 20th, 2018)

@bigalmeacham:

to try and move from the “stale G40” requires considerable amount of new and different ways of trying to rightfully represent the largest conflict in world history…

to say this took too long…well “we” all forget that it took “too long” to play G40 in the beginning…we feel very confident that when 5 players play this AND they have a decent understanding of the game - it wont take so “frickin long”

The only thing stale in g40 is the fact that Italy is basically knocked out on UK first turn.
    No im not a g40 fan boy.

Yes I would love to see your varient succeed. The map is to gorgeous to waste

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Congrats fot this effort! Sounds lots of fun!!

Juan

• Sponsor

@JuanSpain:

Congrats fot this effort! Sounds lots of fun!!

Juan

We thank you Sir.

• '19 '17 '16

@Deaths:

I came down here with an open mind and excited to try something new. Thank you for the time and effort putting this together.

This version is more work then fun.
    All the extra phases and added sequences have this game bogged down. 10 fricking hrs, 3 turns down.

Other then the enjoyable company, this is a Saturday I wish I could have back.

If you try to be to historical, you zap the fun out of it.

Good luck to you,
    Wont be asking to play this version again anytime soon.

Has anyone else tried this? Seems excessively complicated IMO.

If you want something more complicated why not try Global War 1936 2nd ed?

I’m inclined to agree about sub/DDs regressing. Haven’t played it but I don’t see the reason for the change from G40. Only real problem is that one DD could stop 10 subs from using their special abilities.

Curious about one thing. Why is separating Canada a negative? I always thought it was a bit crappy that Canadian income could be spent in London and was lost in a Sea Lion.

• Sponsor

@simon33:

@Deaths:

I came down here with an open mind and excited to try something new. Thank you for the time and effort putting this together.

This version is more work then fun.
    All the extra phases and added sequences have this game bogged down. 10 fricking hrs, 3 turns down.

Other then the enjoyable company, this is a Saturday I wish I could have back.

If you try to be to historical, you zap the fun out of it.

Good luck to you,
    Wont be asking to play this version again anytime soon.

Has anyone else tried this? Seems excessively complicated IMO.

If you want something more complicated why not try Global War 1936 2nd ed?

I’m inclined to agree about sub/DDs regressing. Haven’t played it but I don’t see the reason for the change from G40. Only real problem is that one DD could stop 10 subs from using their special abilities.

Curious about one thing. Why is separating Canada a negative? I always thought it was a bit crappy that Canadian income could be spent in London and was lost in a Sea Lion.

Yes, it’s complicated… not as much as 1936 though… but even if, what’s wrong with multiple game options with the same complexity level?

The reason for sub/destroyer changes from G40…
    …in G40, Subs can’t submerge with a destroyer present, not realistic considering that destroyers had to deal with submerged subs all the time. In 3G40 subs can submerge with a destroyer present, and can escape most air units attacking them which increases their survivability rate by a lot.

So I don’t understand the “not seeing a reason for the change” comment when we all know how difficult it is to keep a submarine on the board (defending @1 and in the sights of any aircraft). I think we’ve done an excellent job translating true sub/destroyer tactics including depth charge attacks.

• '19 '17 '16

You should play whatever you find fun, but i wonder if the fun here has been in developing the game or in playing it?

How many play test games have been done? I find it a bit daunting just reading through all the rules. With 1936 at least there would have been some play tests. I would question the fun in that too with some things taking four turns to build.

• Sponsor

@simon33:

You should play whatever you find fun, but i wonder if the fun here has been in developing the game or in playing it?

How many play test games have been done? I find it a bit daunting just reading through all the rules. With 1936 at least there would have been some play tests. I would question the fun in that too with some things taking four turns to build.

Play testing is on going, we have a team who are dedicated to the process as proven by their willingness to travel to Canada in 2 weeks for this awesome project. I wouldn’t finalize any rules as complete until we get at least 2 more years of testing… but if we haven’t impressed you with what we’ve done so far, I doubt you will appreciate the end result.

…and of course it’s fun developing rules, why else would anyone do it?

• Sponsor

Had a massive play test last weekend, and it was awesome… here are some live streamed videos of it. After the success and fun we all had, I don’t even want to listen to the haters trying to derail this variant.

Day 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTyG6pTzcU
    Day 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-1ugBVzLS4

• '19 '17 '16

Glad you had fun. How long did it take to play a game?

• Sponsor

@simon33

We played two games all weekend, we quit the first one just to start again, and then got to round 9 in the second game before we had to quit Sunday. We determined that a 12 round game (which is the end round) will take approximately 2X 10 hour game days (that’s casual game play without rushing players or trying to speed things up).

• @Young-Grasshopper the map files linked at the start of this thread are no longer available. I’d be curious to see the map. Do you have an active link to it, Grasshopper?

• @regularkid
    Coming soon… working on it.

• I also find this intriguing. The mentioned videos are not available anymore as well.

• Wow! This variant looks really interesting but if I understand correctly, it requires a new map right? If so, is this even possible to play now since the map link provided does not work anymore?? Thanks in advance for any responses to this question.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m