THE STRATEGIC MISSIONS PHASE
1. Resolve Special Situations
2. Conduct Vichy France
3. Conduct Bombing Raids
4. Conduct Shore Bombardments
5. Conduct Convoy Raids
6. Conduct Partisan Raids
7. Conduct Kamikaze Raids
8. Reassign Transport Units
9. Resolve Coastal Defences
10. Apply National Advantages
#1. SPECIAL SITUATIONS
1. VICTORY CONDITION
2. AMERICAN ASSISTANCE - For each Special Missions phase in which the United States remains neutral, a free Canadian fighter will be placed in Ottawa
3. OPERATION DYNAMO
- If there are any Allied units on the territory of Normandy (Dunkirk) at the beginning of the first Strategic Missions Phase, those units (not facilities) all must be immediately evacuated to London.
4. SPANISH NEGOTIATIONS AT HENDAYE
- During the first Strategic Missions Phase only, and only if Germany occupies France, Germany may choose to surrender all their cash on hand to the bank in order to claim Spain and all it’s standing military (Germany will also claim Rio De Oro). If Germany chooses this option, all Vichy rolls by Germany will be increased by 1.
5. RUSSIAN WINTER
- Every winter/spring game round during the special missions phase, the Germans must immediately remove 3 regular infantry and/or elite infantry from any originally controlled Russian territories (Germany’s choice).
6. RUSSIAN ENGINEER TOKENS
- Russia begins the game with a total of 15 engineer tokens, these tokens are used to move their production facilities during the strategic missions phase. Only one facility may move during any given SMP
- A Minor Factory costs 1 token per space moved, a Major Factory costs 2 tokens per space moved, and an Industrial Complex costs 5 tokens per space moved. Also, Russia may never purchase new production facilities
- Production facilities that use engineer tokens to move must immediately apply 3 damage markers per token used, a Facility may no longer move once maximum damage has been sustained
- Engineer Tokens may only be used when Russia is at war with a European Axis power
7. CONSCRIPTS AND VOLUNTEERS
- Place on each operational rail station 1 free Regular Infantry aligned with the nation that controls the territory
- Add a second Regular Infantry if the rail station is in a territory with a victory city
- Add a third Regular Infantry if the victory city is a capital
8. OIL TANKERS ARRIVE
- Move any number of Oil Tankers (including none) from one eligible build queue to another
- Collect 5 IPCs for each Oil Tanker in your build queue which did not use the move action during this SMP
9. SCORCHED EARTH
- Regular infantry and/or elite infantry may scorch 1 or more friendly tactical facilities (not production facilities) within the territory they occupy, and they will immediately apply 3 points of damage each to any tactical facility of their choice
#2. VICHY FRANCE
- All Vichy rules become “in effect” immediately once an Axis power has captured Paris and has not attacked Southern France or French Indo-China. If Paris has not fallen or one of either Southern France or French Indo-China has been attacked before the first special missions phase at the end of turn 1, than all French territories and units become free French.
- Once Paris falls and becomes occupied by an Axis power, Southern France becomes Vichy, along with all other French units, territories and occupied sea zones on the board (except those units in A-18, London, Normandy, and French Equatorial Africa which remain “Free French”).
- During each Special Missions Phase, eligible nations will participate to “Resolve Vichy” by rolling a sequence of dice in the following turn order.
2. United Kingdom
4. Free French
Japan may choose to attempt a roll @3 and claim the French Indo-China Vichy infantry and territory.
2. UNITED KINGDOM
UK may attempt to destroy all Vichy sea units on the board by rolling 1 die @3 per sea zone in the following order… A-24, M-1, and 1-12. A successful roll for any sea zone will immediately destroy the Vichy ships there in.
Italy may attempt to control certain Vichy units and territories by rolling 1 die @1 per territory in the following order… Corsica, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Syria.
4. FREE FRANCE
Free French may attempt to control Vichy units and territories by rolling 1 die @1 per territory and sea zone in the following order… A-24, M-1, & I-12, Corsica, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, FWA, FCA, Syria, Madagascar, FIC.
Germany may attempt to control Vichy units and territories by rolling 1 die @3 per territory and sea zone in the following order… A-24, M-1, & I-12, Corsica, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, FWA, FCA, Syria, Madagascar.
Resolving the fate of Vichy Southern France: During the 3rd Special Missions phase after the resolve Vichy rolls, the following formula will be used to determine Southern France’s fate.
Determine who had turned the most Vichy Territories to their side
-If the Axis turned the most Vichy Territories to their side, then all units within Southern France (except the minor factory and the naval base) come off the board leaving the territory empty.
-If Free French turned the most Vichy Territories to their side (including all Vichy territories not turned by the Axis at this point), then all units within Southern France become Free French
Attacking Vichy territories and/or units:
- If an Allied power attacks a Vichy territory before Southern France is resolved, than all remaining Vichy territories and units become German (except FIC which will become Japanese)
- If an Axis power attacks a Vichy territory before Southern France is resolved, than all remaining Vichy territories and units become free French
#3. CONVOY RAIDS
Look for any single warship in any Convoy zone, if there is an adjacent territory controlled by a nation at war with that warship, the nation controlling the territory must surrender 3 IPC’s to the bank. Multiple warships in any given convoy zone does not increase this 3 IPC limit, however, If multiple enemy nations own territories adjacent to one convoy zone being raided, they must all surrender 3 IPCs to the bank. Also, If Nova Scotia and London are Allied controlled, Axis warship occupation of an “open sea” Atlantic convoy zone will raid UK Europe for 6 IPCs each.
#4. COASTAL DEFENSES
Look for large naval fleets with 3 or more sea units (not including transports) in sea zones adjacent to operational enemy bunkers. Resolve coastal defense systems targeting those fleets by rolling 3@1 for a minor bunker, and 6 @1 for a major bunker. Each one rolled immediately destroys or damages that many ships. A bunker on a territory adjacent to multiple sea zones may only target 1 fleet per missions phase (the nation controlling the bunker chooses the fleet they wish to target). Also, only nations at war may resolve coastal defenses (Russia must be at war with a European Axis power)
#5. BOMBING RAIDS
Determine Initiative: A player from each side must roll an 8 sided dice, the side with the highest result chooses which side will conduct all their bombing raids first. Once completed… the remaining side will then conduct all their bombing raids.
Super Fortress Bombers, Strategic Bombers and Tactical Bombers may be used to conduct strategic bombing campaigns to damage enemy facilities of their choice by deploying designated aircraft to enemy territories with eligible facilities. Any aircraft that were designated for future missions and have remained designated leading into the strategic missions phase may participate in bombing raids. Also, fighters that are grounded on territories being bombed do not need to be designated in order to intercept. However, just because air units were designated to perform raids does not mean they must do so… a nation may pass and stand down from any mission assignment.
Designated fighters may be used only once during a strategic missions phase as either an interceptor or an escort by using dog fight values for 1 combat round. Escort fighters must be assigned to bombing air formations before interceptors are deployed. Any strategic bomber, or tactical bomber that survives both the dog fight round, and the built in AA Gun barrage will apply damage to eligible facilities of their choice using the following chart.
Super Fortress Bombers: May bomb any facility to apply an automatic 6 points of damage
Strategic Bombers: May bomb any facility to apply an automatic 4 points of damage
Tactical Bombers: May bomb any tactical facility or minor factory to apply an automatic 2 points of damage
#6. SHORE BOMBARDMENTS
Determine Initiative: A player from each side must roll an 8 sided dice, the side with the highest result chooses which side will conduct all their shore bombardments first. Once completed… the remaining side will then conduct all their shore bombardments last.
Super Battleships, Battleships, and/or Cruisers that are adjacent to enemy territories may be used to conduct shore bombardment campaigns to damage enemy facilities of their choice. Any designated naval fleet containing the fore mentioned ships and within an eligible sea zone, may participate in shore bombardments. Also, fighters that are stationed on aircraft carriers within the fleet conducting the bombardments do not need to be designated in order to escort the fleet. However, just because a naval fleets are designated to perform bombardments does not mean they must do so… a nation may pass and stand down from any mission assignment.
Designated fighters may be used only once during a strategic missions phase as either an interceptor or an escort by using dog fight values for 1 combat round. Escort fighters must be assigned to bombarding naval fleets before interceptors are deployed. Any bombarding cruiser or battleship may use their air cover values during 1 combat round of dog fighting if engaged by enemy interceptors. Any ships that survive the dog fight round will apply damage to eligible facilities of their choice using the following chart.
Super Battleships: May bombard any adjacent facility to apply an automatic 5 points of damage
Battleships: May bombard any adjacent facility to apply an automatic 4 points of damage
Cruisers: May bombard any adjacent tactical facility to apply an automatic 2 points of damage
#7. KAMIKAZE RAIDS
Look for all kamikaze sea zones occupied by Allied surface warships (must be at war with Japan). Japan may use their kamikaze tokens (up to 3 per kamikaze zone) to damage or destroy surface warships of their choice. Each assigned token will roll @3 or less dealing a hit to ships being raided. However, carrier based aircraft or air units eligible to scramble may attempt to block the raid. During this 1 round air battle in which Allied planes intercept kamikaze pilots, Tactical Bombers hit 1@1, and Fighters hit 1@2 (WW1 planes may not intercept). The Japanese begin the game with 15 kamikaze tokens total, casualties from enemy aircraft are removed by Japan, and kamikaze tokens get zero defense during the 1 round air battle.
#8. PARTISAN RAIDS
Look for all originally controlled Allied territories now occupied by the Axis with at least one facility on it (not including Islands). The Allies may use their partisan tokens (up to 3 per occupied territory) to damage one or more facilities of their choice. Each assigned token will roll @3 or less dealing 3 points of damage for each successful token on their targeted facility. However, facilities under attack may use their built in security to roll 1@1 in order to block the raid, and elite infantry stationed within the territory will each receive a 1@2 to avoid sabotage. The Allies begin the game with 15 partisan tokens total, casualties from elite infantry are removed by the Allies, and partisan tokens get zero defense during all block attempts. Also, only nations at war may use partisan tokens (Russia must be at war with a European Axis power)
#9. TRANSPORT RE-ASSIGNMENT
Any number of air or sea transport units (including none), may be reassigned to a friendly nation during any special missions turn. Upon approval from the nation that currently controls them, transport units may be swapped out and controlled by the friendly nation of their choice. However, only sea transports adjacent to a friendly naval base, and air transports landed on a friendly air base may be reassigned during the special missions phase. Also, only nations at war may participate in reassigning sea transports (Russia must be at war with a European Axis power)
#10. NATIONAL ADVANTAGES