1941 Balance?

• @Charles-de-Gaulle said in 1941 Balance?:

I’ve actuallly never played Anniversary with NOs.  What is the general opinion on how it affects balance?  I always thought I looked too good for the Axis.

In my opinion without NOs the game favors the allies, and with NOs it favors the axis. I would recommend trying a game with them sometime. It adds an interesting new layer to the normal strategy, and it also speeds up the end game because if one side starts doing well, they the strength to gain their objectives while denying objectives to their opponents, which accelerates the end. I don’t want to imply that it gives victory to the first side to have things go their way, its a long fight for total objective dominance, but it puts the emphasis of the whole game more on the tipping point of the war than it does on actually knocking an enemy capital.

I really prefer it. You may not but you should give it a try sometime to see.

@axis_roll said in 1941 Balance?:

Agree with Maverick, as the National Objectives are easier to obtain for the Axis and harder for the Allies to maintain/achieve.

My play group modifies the bonus from 5 IPCs to 4 IPCs to minimize the difference/impact

That’s a cool idea! I’m going to try that. Do you still do any sort of bid or do you find this eliminates the need for a bid altogether?

• @PizzaPete said in 1941 Balance?:

@axis_roll said in 1941 Balance?:

Agree with Maverick, as the National Objectives are easier to obtain for the Axis and harder for the Allies to maintain/achieve.

My play group modifies the bonus from 5 IPCs to 4 IPCs to minimize the difference/impact

That’s a cool idea! I’m going to try that. Do you still do any sort of bid or do you find this eliminates the need for a bid altogether?

My play group has many house rules, mostly to try and open up other strategic options that have an equal chance of succeeding as the old Allied game plan of KGF/keep Russia alive (boring!)

My play group thoughts are that the OOB 1941 game (NO’s active, no tech) is very slanted in the Axis favor, especially when you remove/diminish the wild dice variable with low luck like we use. There are several thoughts on how to balance the game in the house rules section.

One of my favorite is splitting India and sz35 in two (add Bangledesh and SZ35b). This may not be easy to implement online, but is very easy in FTF games and really makes a difference IMHO.

• Nice! I’ll have to try that one too.

My play group also plays with national objectives and low luck most times. Some things we’ve tried that helps is first and foremost that China is allowed to exit Chinese territory so that Japan can’t let them grow out of of control with no consequence, and also that China’s move is linked to Russia instead of US, so they get to go before Japan and not have to lose the flying tigers. (We’ve also tried a modified version where we just change the placement so that the Flying tigers fighter survives.)

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.4m