• I know that Russia can attack Japan round 1 if it declares war on it, can it attack Iraq if its not at war with Germany or Italy?

• In the Global rules, under the Soviet Union Political Situation section it says, the Soviet Union may not declare war on any European Axis power before turn 4.  I would take this to mean that since the territory is pro-axis then you cannot attack it before they are at war.

• A neutral power cannot make a move into a neutral territory (E40 rulebook, pg 15, “Powers Not at War with One Another” side bar, under “Neutral Powers”)

The Soviet Union is still considered to be a neutral power on the Europe map even if it is at war with Japan (E40 rulebook, pg. 37, continuation of Soviet Union’s “Political Situation, National Objectives, and Bonus Income”, under Political Situation)

Taking both of these rules together, the Soviet Union must be at war with either Germany, Italy, or both to move into any neutral territory, pro-Axis, pro-Allies, or strict on the Europe Map.

So the answer to your question is a definite no.

• I know the game does’nt always follow history.Just thought I’d mention that Stalin had a pretty costly war with Finland winter 39/40 and annexed the neutral baltic states april 1940 and east poland 1939.Not exactly a neutral power IMO.

• '19 '17 '16

@ampdrive:

I know the game does’nt always follow history.Just thought I’d mention that Stalin had a pretty costly war with Finland winter 39/40 and annexed the neutral baltic states april 1940 and east poland 1939.Not exactly a neutral power IMO.

The game supposedly starts after those events, with the Finns having made peace with Stalin.

• The game takes place in 1940 hence the term G40.

• @ampdrive:

I know the game does’nt always follow history.Just thought I’d mention that Stalin had a pretty costly war with Finland winter 39/40 and annexed the neutral baltic states april 1940 and east poland 1939.Not exactly a neutral power IMO.

Helps if you think of ‘neutral power’ in context of the major powers.  Russia had already won its wars against Poland/Baltics, for instance, and done the treaty with Finland.  More importantly, hadn’t started a war with the major powers, whom we concern ourselves with in this game.

• I think historically,between 1939 to 1941 it was’nt clear whose side Russia was on.France was offering to assist Finland in the winter war with bombers. Stalin certainly did’nt trust the allies during this time period.Dispite repeated warnings from just about everyone Stalin trusted Hitler until the morning of barbarossa.All that being said,as for A&A Global the only rule I’d tweak regarding Russian neutrality is the one where Germany still collects a peace bonus after Italy has declared war on Russia.

• @ShadowHAwk:

{snip}
    And stalin would not allow Foreign forces in russia ( except for the ships sending in supplies )

You mean, except for that time the RAF defended part of Russia in 1941?

No 151 Wing Royal Air Force was a British unit which fought alongside the Soviet forces on the Kola Peninsula during the first months of Operation Barbarossa, during the Second World War. The 1941 expedition to Murmansk provided air defence for Allied ships as they were discharging at ports within range of Luftwaffe units in Norway and Finland and converted Soviet air- and ground-crews to British Hawker Hurricane IIB fighters and their Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, many of which which were due to be delivered under British Lend-Lease arrangements.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._151_Wing_RAF

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-Midnight_Reaper

• And for example, the US did have some presence in USSR during WWII.

• @Momentum:

A neutral power cannot make a move into a neutral territory (E40 rulebook, pg 15, “Powers Not at War with One Another” side bar, under “Neutral Powers”)

The Soviet Union is still considered to be a neutral power on the Europe map even if it is at war with Japan (E40 rulebook, pg. 37, continuation of Soviet Union’s “Political Situation, National Objectives, and Bonus Income”, under Political Situation)

Taking both of these rules together, the Soviet Union must be at war with either Germany, Italy, or both to move into any neutral territory, pro-Axis, pro-Allies, or strict on the Europe Map.

So the answer to your question is a definite no.

This is an argument I’ve been having with the group I play with for months.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m