Statistics of 100 Games of G40.2 OOB

• Congratulations to my A&A fan club!  Recently, they (I was not there for the last game…grumble grumble) finished playing their ONE HUNDREDTH game of 1940 2nd Edition with no house rules.  These games were played mostly by 4-5 players of excellent to amateur skill.  The estimated (highly estimated, as this was not documented) play time was 7 hrs.  Shortest recorded game was 3 hrs. while the longest was several days’ worth.  Here’s the fruit:

Out of 100 games
    The Allies won 38 times
    The Axis won 46 times
    A draw was declared 13 times
    And 3 games were disputed (some of the draws were disputed, but usually veteran players on both sides deemed them too close to call)

Most games were won not by victory cities but by unanimous surrender.

As a bonus statistic, I personally played 29 of these games, but I won’t tell you that I only won 13 of them and never managed to liberate Paris.

• @Charles:

Congratulations to my A&A fan club!  Recently, they (I was not there for the last game…grumble grumble) finished playing their ONE HUNDREDTH game of 1940 2nd Edition with no house rules.  These games were played mostly by 4-5 players of excellent to amateur skill.  The estimated (highly estimated, as this was not documented) play time was 7 hrs.  Shortest recorded game was 3 hrs. while the longest was several days’ worth.  Here’s the fruit:

Out of 100 games
    The Allies won 38 times
    The Axis won 46 times
    And 3 games were disputed (some of the draws were disputed, but usually veteran players on both sides deemed them too close to call)

As a bonus statistic, I personally played 29 of these games, but I won’t tell you that I only won 13 of them and never managed to liberate Paris.

Not surprised. Poor Paree  :cry:

• Can you go into detail about some of the games that ended as ties?

• Midnight, Moscow falls but the Middle East is strong.  India has also fallen but the Japanese navy is destroyed.  The Allies are in W. Europe but can’t proceed too far inland.  At that point it can be another 10 turns / 8 hours to see who wins.  Time to call a draw!

• I don’t have detailed information on all of the games, but here is an interesting one I personally played that was declared a draw:

Germany want all out for SeaLion from the start and took London.
    After a Japanese attack, Russia decided to make a considerable effort in China, while also seizing the Middle East and eventually the Balkans.
    Japan did not do well on the mainland but kept the important islands and places like Hong Kong.
    The U.S. focused on liberating London.
    ANZAC was yelling at the Allies’ faces because the Aussies were cornered the whole game.
    China was doing quite well and marched all the way to Shanghai at one point.
    Italy took Egypt but met lucky resistance from Indian, Russian, and French reinforcements.

Most of the game weas spent ruthlessly rolling dice at one another in battles that mostly had strange luck. By the end of the day, the situation was too lopsided in different fronts to call.

Germany held London, Paris, Berlin and Warsaw.  It had a fleet and was fighting Allies in the Balkans mostly.
    Russia successfully helped China eliminate Japanese troops on the mainland and worked with the U.S. to get Egypt back.  There was a standstill in the Eastern Front, mostly because a ton of German transports kept attacking the north.
    Japan lost the mainland but kept the high seas with virtually no Americans involved.  Eventually Japan took Sydney and New Zealand and even landed in Alaska.
    The United States was all over the Mediterranean and Canada trying to strecth the Germans too far.  A small force was preparing the pass through the Panama Canal to force Japan to consolidate.
    China had everything it could wish for. Literally.  The Allies began calling me useless.
    The UK did not have London, but India claimed many territories and eventually was cleverly given Egypt by an American attack that retreated to allow for the weaker British to claim their fallen brothers’ land and build a factory.  All of Africa was retaken.
    Italy was just about dead with an enormous American force in Northern Italy ready to wipe Italy out whenever it wanted to.
    ANZAC had zero units on the board. This tempted him to flip the board.
    France was not liberated except for some smal back and forth battles in Southern France.

We felt that we could not call this one mostly because the Allies could easily win with an organized push anywhere, but also because Japan could quite easily take Honolulu, Hong Kong, and Shanghai for the win.  We would have needed at least five more turns to get a definite surrender.

• '19 '17 '16

Hmm.

Surely China would be building up Shanghai to prevent the Pacific victory?

India can’t take Egypt. If that happens, no income is collected. Similarly for any territory west of West India. USA should have taken Egypt. It could have built a factory and pushed out a tonne of units from it.

• @simon33:

Hmm.

Surely China would be building up Shanghai to prevent the Pacific victory?

India can’t take Egypt. If that happens, no income is collected. Similarly for any territory west of West India. USA should have taken Egypt. It could have built a factory and pushed out a tonne of units from it.

I noticed that too.  One military, two economies.

Pg 35 of rule book: Capture of One of the United Kingdom’s Regional capitals
    The free regional capital may never collect IPC’s that would normally go to the captured regional capital, even if such territories are recaptured from the Axis.

• Something is definitely wrong there.  Either we played the rule wrong or maybe I’m getting confused, and it was ANZAC. But I think the Allies were still building in Egypt after Sydney fell, so I guess we goofed.  I’ll ask my teammate next time I see him.

• Erich showed me a blurry photo of the game, and it actually shows the US controlling Egypt with a factory.  He made an interesting comment that it always seems easier to declare Axis victory since the objective is more reachable and does necessarily require an IPC swing.  However, an Allied victory is much harder to declare since it requires a definite halt of Axis advances and an industrial advantage.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Charles:

Congratulations to my A&A fan club!  Recently, they (I was not there for the last game…grumble grumble) finished playing their ONE HUNDREDTH game of 1940 2nd Edition with no house rules.  These games were played mostly by 4-5 players of excellent to amateur skill.  The estimated (highly estimated, as this was not documented) play time was 7 hrs.  Shortest recorded game was 3 hrs. while the longest was several days’ worth.  Here’s the fruit:

Out of 100 games
    The Allies won 38 times
    The Axis won 46 times

Where’s your group located?

• Everywhere from Philadelphia, to Jersey City, to Washington.  We’re mostly family and some select friends.  I regularly play with a couple of buddies from school, my dad and uncle, and two young woman that are related to me through marriage.  We have several groups and hosting places and play quite often with those that live nearby and also schedule big get-togethers every few months.

• @Charles:

Everywhere from Philadelphia, to Jersey City, to Washington.  We’re mostly family and some select friends.  I regularly play with a couple of buddies from school, my dad and uncle, and two young woman that are related to me through marriage.  We have several groups and hosting places and play quite often with those that live nearby and also schedule big get-togethers every few months.

Sweet !  :-)

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Charles:

Everywhere from Philadelphia, to Jersey City, to Washington.  We’re mostly family and some select friends.  I regularly play with a couple of buddies from school, my dad and uncle, and two young woman that are related to me through marriage.  We have several groups and hosting places and play quite often with those that live nearby and also schedule big get-togethers every few months.

wait… what?  Women are associated with your games?  Ho Lee!  That’s remarkable.  My wife avoids me and my nerd buddies like the plague anytime some dice start rolling.

• Maybe that is because beer and boardgames is taboo in my family? ;)

If you are really interested in getting woman to play:

1. Don’t pick your close family
    2. Don’t be a poor sport
    3. Don’t bother with girls (›18)
    4. Don’t take forever playing
    5. Be enthusiastic

I know this all might sound a bit weird and arbitrary, but trust me.  I even used my sweetheart as a test subject.

I found that the ideal woman to target is the competitive ping-pong/video gamer who is experienced with life but still youthful.  No girly girls or feminists please–they are not sportsmanlike and tend to pretend that they are overwhelmed.  You want quiet woman that know how to make you shake without saying anything.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m