• We all know and there is plenty information out there the Allies lend-leased amongst each other, primarily USA lend-leased to UK and Russia, and UK lend-leased to Russia.

How about the Axis Powers? Did they lend-lease to each other and at what degree?

• As far as I know of Axis shared equipment. Italy gave Japan several submachine guns with ammo to test out but they decided to keep their copy of the Sten. Japan sent officers to inspect German tanks mostly the Tiger and Panzer IV to see if Japan wanted to buy a license to make their own or buy the tanks outright. Germany supplied Italy with some captured tanks and engines for their aircraft and I think they sold a single fighter (can’t remember the model) as well as some small arms and tech to Japan.

• I don’t know to what extent Germany and Italy provided such assistance to each other, but a good study of the German-Japanese angle is “Reluctant Allies: German-Japanese Naval Relations in World War II,” by Hans-Joachim Krug, Yoichi Hirama, Axel Niestle, and Berthold J. Sander-Nagashima (published 2001).  As I recall, there wasn’t much such assistance between Germany and Japan; this was partly due to the fact that they were on opposite sides of the world from each other, with enemy-controlled land and sea between them, and partly due to the fact that Germany and Japan were essentially fighting separate (though connected) conflicts, and ideologically were more like cousins than brothers.  Japan did, as I recall, transport some strategic goods to and from Germany via long-range submarines a couple of times, but that was about it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m