[Global 1940] The Free French/Vichy French

• What are your thoughts for Free/Vichy French houserules for G40? What I like to do is modify a rule of Charles de Gaulle’s.

Free France consists of French Equatorial Africa, the cruiser in 110, the units in London, New Hebrides, and Normandy/Bordeaux. However, any French territory or ship will become Free French on a d6 roll of 6 after Paris falls. The Free French get a recruitment roll every turn. They have to roll the number of territories or less that they control. They then subtract that number from 6, and that’s the number of units that they can place in any territory that they control. The Free French have an economy of 3 (the worth of their territories), and a +1 bonus every turn that London is in British hands. With this, they can buy infantry in their capital (FEA initially), and nothing else. If FEA is captured, the Free French may move their capital to any territory they control. If any originally French territory is liberated, it becomes Free French.

Vichy France is politically aligned with Germany, and consists of every other initially French territory, except Paris (German occupied). Vichy French troops may not move outside of Vichy territories, and Vichy ships must end their movement in a sea zone adjacent to a Vichy territory. Vichy units are allowed to attack captured Vichy territories and any Free French-controlled territory. Axis powers may move units into and through any Vichy territory. Also, every turn that Vichy France controls Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia, they gain 3 IPCs of bonus income. Germany collects the income for all Vichy territories (bonus included), except for French Indochina, which Japan collects the money for. Vichy France may only build units in Southern France with German permission, and the build cost may not exceed Vichy’s income for the turn. For example: Vichy France gave Germany its 13 IPCs of income last turn (Southern France, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, French West Africa, French Central Africa, and French Indochina, plus the IPC bonus for control of French North Africa), and wanted to build three infantry. Germany agreed, and paid 9 IPCs. Vichy France’s capital is Southern France. If this is captured, all Vichy territories become Free French. Vichy’s turn is 11th in the turn order.

Moderator’s edit: Added tag [Global 1940] to title.

• Very interesting, but I think this might favor the Axis a little too much.  Perhaps don’t give so much money to Germany from Vichy?

• There is possibility for offsetting rules; VICHY FRANCE (pro-GERMAN) and ITALIAN CO-BELLIGERENT ARMY (pro-US)

Vichy France:

Vichy is created at the end of the entire turn after the “territory of France” is captured.  Vichy eligible territories are any French original-controlled territories, except French Central Africa.  Vichy territories are treated same as Axis Friendly neutrals.  Any French units in these territories are Vichy.  FCA is the only Free French territory and is a Allied Friendly neutral, along with any other captured neutrals.
    Procedure:
    When France is captured, ALL French units are frozen in place.  If the Allies recapture France before the end of the turn, then Vichy is not created and can never then be created.  If the Allies fail to liberate France on this turn, then the following happens:
    a. Any Allied forces in Vichy territories in next turn must fight or retreat.  Allied AAA units cannot be taken as losses and cannot retreat (they are eliminated).
    b. Any French captured Axis territories return to original owners, unless it also contains other Allied units- in which case follow step 2.  Any remaining French units stay as Vichy forces and defend. If Axis occupies, see step 3.
    c. Any French land/air units outside of Vichy and Axis territories are “Free French”.
    d. Any French controlled neutrals stay French unless there are other Allied units - then control goes over to the other Allied power.
    e. At end of turn Vichy created, Free French player can choose to scuttle any French ships.
    For rest of game the following is in place:

1. Vichy units can only make non-combat moves to another Vichy territory.  
    2. They will defend against Allied attacks, however if alone, they will surrender to Free French.
    3. At the point FCA or a Vichy territory is occupied, by either side, with the exception of Southern France, all non-infantry units disband.  Any territory left without an infantry builds 1.
    4. Vichy ships are neutral and inactive, except they will defend against amphib assault.  
    5. Free French units may move as normal.  French ships in SZ110 are “Free”.  “Free French” forces can be ordered to attack Vichy units.
    6. Vichy ships are captured when the adjacent territory(ies) are occupied by Axis.
    7. Vichy ships remain neutral and inactive when adjacent to territory(ies) Allied occupied.  The Allied player does get the option to scuttle any ships.
    8. All French units return to “Free” status when France is liberated.  
    OPTIONAL rule- AT THE END of each turn, 1 Vichy unit in each territory (starting with highest price units) is removed.  This continues for each territory until there is only 1 unit remaining.

Italian Co-Belligerent Army / Italian Social Republic:

ICBA is a pro-Allied Italian government created after Rome is captured.  At the same time, the ISR, a remnant and a pro-Axis goverment of Mussolini’s regime is created and seated out of Northern Italy.  ICBA eligible territories are all Italian controlled territories, EXCEPT Northern Italy and Italian controlled territories with German units.  ICBA territories are treated same as pro-Allied neutrals.  All other forces are part of the Italian Social Republic.  ISR becomes the new Italy and starts with 0 IPCs.  On the each German turn, they CAN give up to 5 IPCs to ISR.    For the ICBA, any movement is done after Vichy.
    _Procedure:  _
    After Rome is captured, the following happens:
    1. All ICBA forces (land/sea/air) standfast and defend against Axis attacks.  
    2. ICBA units can only make non-combat moves to another ICBA territory.  
    3. When an ICBA territory is occupied (except Southern Italy) by the allies, all units disband.
    4. All ships are property of ICBA, except SZ97.  ICBA ships are neutral and inactive, except they will defend against amphib assault.    
    5. ISR units may move as normal. ISR forces can be ordered to attack ICBA units.
    6. At end of turn ICBA created, ISR player can choose to scuttle any Italian ships.
    7. ICBA ships are captured when the adjacent territory(ies) are occupied by Axis.
    8. ICBA ships remain neutral and inactive when adjacent to territory(ies) Allied occupied.  The Allied player does get the option to scuttle any ships.
    9. All ICBA units return to Axis if Rome is liberated.  ICBA cannot be re-created.

FOR player sequence, VICHY is FIRST to act each turn.  ICBA moves before ITALY (ISR).

• @Charles:

Very interesting, but I think this might favor the Axis a little too much.  Perhaps don’t give so much money to Germany from Vichy?

How do you propose I do things differently? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

• @Charles:

Very interesting, but I think this might favor the Axis a little too much.  Perhaps don’t give so much money to Germany from Vichy?

Ha Ha Ha should of known this was coming.

Take away the Vichy bonus (did I say that ? ) and maybe a few Vichy territory controlled icps ?

• If he promise to use that rule in his basement only, playing friends, then I am fine with it. But t t t, in case you ask me, I want rules to be streamlined. No special rules, not even for the Chineese people. Obviously our A&A units dont behave exactly like the real WWII units did, but isnt a Vichy rule a step in the wrong direction ? How was France 1940 (Petain) different from Norway 1940 (Quizling), or Italy 1943 (Badoglio) ? The pattern is, than when a Capitol is captured, some Benedict Arnold kind of man always pops up, ready to serve his new master. But what about the unoccupied territories, should they too surrender, or stay fighting ? Or maybe turn into a state of neutrals ? And how to model this with as few special rules as possible ?
    Enough

• @Narvik:

If he promise to use that rule in his basement only, playing friends, then I am fine with it. But t t t, in case you ask me, I want rules to be streamlined. No special rules, not even for the Chineese people. Obviously our A&A units dont behave exactly like the real WWII units did, but isnt a Vichy rule a step in the wrong direction ? How was France 1940 (Petain) different from Norway 1940 (Quizling), or Italy 1943 (Badoglio) ? The pattern is, than when a Capitol is captured, some Benedict Arnold kind of man always pops up, ready to serve his new master. But what about the unoccupied territories, should they too surrender, or stay fighting ? Or maybe turn into a state of neutrals ? And how to model this with as few special rules as possible ?
    Enough

What would be your rule after France falls ? No really.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I don’t think it makes sense to model “puppet” governments in a game like Axis & Allies, which focuses much more on military strategy than on diplomacy. I do agree that it’s important to streamline the rules and keep them applied consistently from nation to nation. So, here’s the rule I would use for capital capture for all nations, including France, Italy, China, and UK Pacific:

1. Every nation starts the game with a treasury, the ability to collect income, and a specific capital territory that has at least a minor factory.
    2. If you capture a nation’s capital, you can loot up to 10 IPCs from their treasury. The first time each game that a nation loses its capital, that nation may immediately relocate its capital to any territory it still controls that is worth 1 IPC or more. If the nation does not or cannot do so, the nation is defeated.
    3. If a nation loses its capital twice in the same game, that nation is defeated.
    4. A defeated nation can never again collect income or place new units. Defeated nations may still move and attack with any remaining units.
    5. Any nation allied to a defeated nation may ‘activate’ the remaining territories of a defeated nation by moving ground troops into them during non-combat. For example, if France has been defeated, then any remaining French territories are treated as pro-Allied territories for economic purposes. The British could convert French West Africa into a British territory by landing troops there, and the Russians could convert French Madagascar into a Russian territory by landing troops there. Activation is optional.

I’d put the starting Chinese minor factory in Szechuan, with maybe a second minor factory in Suiyuan, representing the Communist headquarters. All factories, not just Chinese factories, would permanently disappear when conquered by enemies.

I think the capital relocation rules will tend to favor the Allies, so you could probably play with 1940 2nd Ed. rules without a bid and have a balanced game.

• To Argothair’s point - you sort of need to decide if you want a game that is military based on order of battles at start of 1940, or you want a game that provides some replay of events in WWII.  I like complexity - which does not have to interfere with play-ability.  So I’m in favor of additional actions/events in the game.  Otherwise the game can become too redundant, with only the dice becoming the major deciding factor on variability.

• The main point in making Vichy/Free French rules should be just for fun.  Making France an interesting nation to play is the point.

• @Charles:

The main point in making Vichy/Free French rules should be just for fun.  Making France an interesting nation to play is the point.

And also to put more of those blue sculpts to work rather than having them mostly sadly sitting idle in their storage box.

While I’m on the subject, here’s a question I’d like to toss in because I’m curious about what people think. A&A Europe 1940 has blue units that consist of an actual distinctive French WWII infantryman sculpt, plus an assortment of foreign WWII equipment sculpts.  A&A WWI 1914 has blue units that consist of an actual distinctive French WWI infantryman sculpt, plus an assortment of generic WWI equipment sculpts.  The two shades of blue are fairly close, though not identical.  Question: if you were to use these two sets of sculpts to depict the two French sides in a house-ruled Global 1940 game, which ones would you use to depict which side?  Would you use the WWI 1914 blue pieces to depict Vichy and the Europe 1940 blue pieces to depict the Free French, or would you do the reverse?

• Using the WW1 set is very common here.  I typically go with the World War II set for Vichy because Vichy tends to have more unit types.  The only Free French unit I really miss is the destroyer this way.

• I use the WW1 French Inf for Foreign Legion in 39 40
    Games.

De Gaulle be proud of me.

• You’re dead SS.

Pistol shot

Never again shall you disgrace the spirit of the Fighting Free French.
    :-D

• @Charles:

You’re dead SS. :x

Pistol shot

Never again shall you disgrace the spirit of the Fighting Free French.
    :-D

Hey. I got Free French in my 40 game still.
    :-o

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy’s a Zombie.  Don’t listen to his lies.  If you receive him in your new Axis and Allies Zombie box, please call Wizards of the Coast and request a replacement.

• @Charles:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy’s a Zombie.  Don’t listen to his lies.  If you receive him in your new Axis and Allies Zombie box, please call Wizards of the Coast and request a replacement.

As long as there Vichy Zombies !

I also have French Event Cards too !
    :evil:

• @Charles:

Using the WW1 set is very common here.  I typically go with the World War II set for Vichy because Vichy tends to have more unit types.  The only Free French unit I really miss is the destroyer this way.

Both options do indeed have their pros and cons, the large number of unit types you mentioned being one of the variables to consider.  My own inclination would be to use the reverse option (E1940 = FF, 1914 = Vichy) because of the sculpt designs.  As far as I know, the Free French used a mixture of their own equipment and (probably to larger degree) equipment supplied by the British and/or the Americans, which would mean that it would be plausible for their sculpts to be a) Allied power designs and b) mid-to-late-war designs.  And as far as I know, Vichy’s military and naval hardware consisted of whatever France still had left when the fighting ended in late June 1940.  I don’t think Germany supplied any weapons to Vichy, and Germany probably didn’t permit Vichy to re-arm on its own, since it wasn’t in Germany’s interest to have France built itself back up as a major military power – so the 1914 game’s nondescript and antiquated sculpts would reflect this pretty well.

• @CWO:

@Charles:

Using the WW1 set is very common here.  I typically go with the World War II set for Vichy because Vichy tends to have more unit types.  The only Free French unit I really miss is the destroyer this way.

Both options do indeed have their pros and cons, the large number of unit types you mentioned being one of the variables to consider.  My own inclination would be to use the reverse option (E1940 = FF, 1914 = Vichy) because of the sculpt designs.  As far as I know, the Free French used a mixture of their own equipment and (probably to larger degree) equipment supplied by the British and/or the Americans, which would mean that it would be plausible for their sculpts to be a) Allied power designs and b) mid-to-late-war designs.  And as far as I know, Vichy’s military and naval hardware consisted of whatever France still had left when the fighting ended in late June 1940.  I don’t think Germany supplied any weapons to Vichy, and Germany probably didn’t permit Vichy to re-arm on its own, since it wasn’t in Germany’s interest to have France built itself back up as a major military power – so the 1914 game’s nondescript and antiquated sculpts would reflect this pretty well.

Yes I use the E40 Frenchys for Free French and the 1914 Frencys for Legion. I was using FF Inf painted dark blue for Legion but know like the 1914 diff piece. Not to picky on how they look. Just easier for some to not have to paint for Legion. Vichy you could use HBG super Light blue or paint for Vichy.

• It would be nice if the non-infantry French sculpts in Europe 1940 were unique French designs – but although that’s not the case, one point in their favour is that they add up to quite a bit of diversity if you combine the 1st edition and 2nd edition sculpts.  France’s 1940 equipment sculpts replicate the Soviets ones in each game; in the 1st edition, this gives France a mixture of Russian, American and British designs, while the 2nd edition replaces most of the American and British designs with Rusian ones and adds a new AAA unit in the form of a Russian-design sculpt.  And in a sense, that patchwork diversity conveys a suitable impression that the Free French (if they’re given the 1940 sculpts) are using equipment from their fellow Allied powers.  There’s a scene at the beginning of the 1944 Humphrey Bogart movie Passage to Marseille in which a squadron of American-built B-17s is overflying Germany on a night-time mission.  Searchlights reach up from the ground towards the planes, and the camera zooms in on one of the bombers as a searchlight beam runs over the fuselage; the beam reveals that the bomber carries the Croix de Lorraine insignia of the Free French forces, and at that moment the musical score of the film strikes up a few bars of Louis Ganne’s patriotic “Marche Lorraine.”  I don’t know if C.d.G. has ever seen that movie, but I’m sure he’d like it.  Two of Bogart’s co-stars are Michele Morgan (who really is French), and Claude Rains (who isn’t, but who famously played Captain Renault in Casablanca, another movie where the Croix de Lorraine pops up early in the film with suitable musical accompaniment.)  The DVD release of the film also includes a bonus mini-documentary on the FF.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m