Irish Republican Army (IRA) rules and musings about Russia

• I was thinking about having a rule for Ireland in dealing the Irish Republican Army, the IRA, which was just forming in 1914-1915 to fight the British for Ireland’s independence. Ireland still has 6 counties which are under British rule as we speak, in the northeast of the country.  I know for a fact that many Irish nationalists want to see these counties belong to the Republic of Ireland, owned by Catholic Ireland, instead of the Protestant United Kingdom.  Of course, the UK isn’t exactly as religious as it once was and neither is Ireland. I’m not gonna get into the whole gay marriage and abortion debates.  I steer clear of that.  Of course, the UK isn’t exactly Protestant anymore. Maybe it will become Islamic? All those immigrants? Who knows? Who cares? I listen to that Pat Condell guy and that Computing Forever guy.  Of course, we aren’t allowed to discuss politics on here.

I was thinking about having 1 (German) infantry piece to represent the Irish Republican Army and the Irish Republican Army will rise up in turn 2, if there are no British forces in Ireland. It’s strange that the current set up has no British forces in Ireland.  Of course, the Irish Republican Army is considered to be a terrorist organization, like ISIS and Al Qaeda. Hey, if there was a War on Terror board game about the current wars that the Western nations are waging against the Islamic terrorists/fundamentalists I’d have Al Qaeda and ISIS in there, even though I do not agree with their Islamist ideologies.

The Irish Republican Army will revolt in Ireland against the British in A&A. I am puzzled as to why the game has the Bolsheviks revolting against the monarchy and overthrowing it. I think that the subsequent civil war should also be depicted.  I wonder why Russia east of the Urals is not depicted? Every A&A game, except Europe (1999) and Pacific (2001) have depicted only European Russia, which is west of the Urals.

Why is there a territory called Tatarstan? Shouldn’t it be called the Kazan Governorship? I believe that this is the English translation of the word “Губерния” оr Губернія if you REALLY want to go old school.  Kazanskaya Gubernia is its Russian name.  I think that Sevastopol should be renamed the Taurida Governorship. Of course, that Imperious leader was all too keen to make of fun for using the transliterated names of the Russian territories in the Soviet Union.  There’s Evenkiyskiy and it is called by its full name of Evenkiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug or whatever they called it back in 1940.

Why is Bessarabia part of Ukraine? Of course, Prussia (in the game) does not border Livonia, as it ACTUALLY did in the real war on a real map. That’s why Hitler was so keen to get back that piece of land from Lithuania that used to be called the Memel territory in 1939.   Should we have Moskovskaya Oblast? Stalingradskaya Oblast? If we are doing Evenkiyskiy?  Of course, let Imperialist leader make fun of me again!

Why is Moscow the capital and not Petrograd? Petrograd was the capital in 1914, NOT Moscow.  Of course, Moscow was made the capital in 1918 or so when the Soviets were ruling that country which once was Russia, until 1991.

Of course, I think that the Soviet Union was the continuation of the old Russian Empire, except that the Christian Orthodox Tsars were replaced by brutal, naked atheist commies until '91.

Many of the old lands that were a part of Russia became their own countries, like Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

• Irish Rebellion: In 1913 the Irish Republican Brotherhood created an armed force to break away from the British Empire.  The Germans backed this movement, while the British were forced into a position of trying to maintain their control.
    Procedure:  At start of game and each turn, roll 1 die…
    1 = Ireland’s IPC value is 0 for AP, regardless of occupation.
    2 = Ireland’s IPC value is 0 for AP, unless occupied by AP.
    3 - 5 = No effect, treat Ireland as UK territory, but this rule remains in force.
    6 = Ireland becomes a permanent UK territory, with normal control rules.  This rule ends.

• Customizer

The extent of Irish hostility to Britain is generally exaggerated. The vast majority of Irish people regarded the Easter rebels as traitors when so many Irishmen were fighting (voluntarily) in the trenches, as indeed they did in WWII after Irish independence.
    Far more people were killed in the Irish civil war that followed independence than died in wars against the British.
    As for Ireland being under “British rule” it should be remembered that Ireland was a member of the UK with its own members of parliament and indeed like Scotland was vastly over-represented in the British government and military.

• Yes. The statement that Iraland “are under British rule” suggests the rule of a foreign power, which is an often held but erroneous perception.

The clearest evidence to the contrary is the Good Friday Agreement, which allows Northern Ireland to leave the UK and join Ireland should the majority wish it so.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m