Factories and Facilties—Where, How, When, and Why?

• '17 '16 '15

Or MIC and mic but then you might end up with k-e-y going through your head :)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I was never a big fan of a Romanian IC, but Afrikakorps recently outlined a German plan aimed at taking Egypt early. Building a Romanian IC G1 is a key factor in his latest implementation of that plan. See https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=39016.135 for an extended discussion. It may be a better idea than I first thought it would be.

• I agree.

• @simon33 said in Factories and Facilties—Where, How, When, and Why?:

There is one time when UK_Pac might want a factory - that’s when Calcutta has been retaken.

Well, the UK Pac won’t be able to use that factory when their Capital has been captured. Usually the British in the Pacific is only struggling to survive. Investing in a mIC therefore seems very contraproductive. The same seems to be the case for ANZAC, which are usually pretty low on funds.

I agree that the Germans are in no need to build any factory themselves, but a Romanian one could have its merits. Generally though I believe it’s a worse buy than troops. Especially early on. And later on the need is less.

For Japan the naval base in Hainan is definitely worth it’s weight in gold. Not always needed, but the extra flexibility for the fleet is very valuable. Japan thrives from its transports and just threatening a heavy amphibious assault from sz 36 is great to suppress the British initiative and more or less forcing them to turtle in Calcutta. Also being able to go to Tokyo or the Carolines in one move is wonderful.

I’d say Japan needs about 2 mICs on the mainland. Building 3 might be ok, but they are actually not so easy to fully utilize because of the need to mobilize fleet. I prefer Malaya and FIC for being closer to the heat, but Kwangtung is also viable. I guess Kiangsu, Shantung and even Manchuria are possible, but lose the territory and the factory goes down with it. They’re also a bit far off. I usually go with transports early with Japan and only build mICs the round after having DOWed.

I have thought about an idea for Germany, which I haven’t tried yet, but probably will. The basic idea is to make the British have to choose between a much needed Taranto and wiping out Bismarck. With an aircraft carrier buy for Germany in r1, UK can usually easily choose both. With an airbase in Holland along with 3 fighters, they should have to atleast choose.

• '19 '17 '16

@trulpen Holy thread necromancy Batman!

Re-read what I said. “Retaken”. Meaning the allies have liberated it from the Axis. I haven’t often seen the allies being able to build in India after losing it and even less often that they could have built more than 3 units (not sure if I ever have), but nevertheless it is possible and the hypothetical situation I was referring to.

I’ve built German factories in Caucasus to pump more units into the Middle East and push the allies back but as JDOW points out, you need to be pretty sure you aren’t going to be losing it. Last time I did this I think the Brits already had about 100 units in the Mid East and Egypt so the single extra factory would only make so much difference but I still think it was worth it.

As for Japan, I agree that 2 mICs is about right but they need to be built really early. Turns 1 & 2 is what I normally do. Kiangsu and FIC respectively. Kwangtung & Manchuria are too far out of the action. I suppose Kiangsu & Shantung together might be an option but I have found Shantung by itself, being 1 turn closer to the Soviets, this is actually a liability rather than an advantage. Malaya can be useful as a third mIC if there is a late DOW but otherwise its largely a waste of money and can be captured after India’s fall.

• @simon33

Ah, of course, you’re right. My bad. Having the MIC in Calcutta reduced to a mIC might very well give rise to the need of a new mIC close-by if Calcutta have been liberated.

FIC is certainly a sweet spot for a japanese factory. If built really early, I guess Shantung and Kiangsu are good, but I usually go with transports instead, being able to be flexible between islands and mainland.

When doing JDOW3, I simply build up on transports, having 5 by FIC and 3 by Japan grabbing all key spots (Philippines, Kwangtung, Malaya and all DEIs) in one slam, if possible.

This might invite US to Caroline, if I want to protect my transports, which I usually want. But the japanese threat to the Carolines should be rather strong the next round.

• '19 '17 '16

8 transports? Wow. Do you have trouble keeping them supplied with troops? If you do the math, you can buy 3 less transports and put down ICs J1 and J2 and it only costs you 3IPCs more. More importantly, the troops get into battle sooner. Buying the troops on Tokyo slows down Axis expansion in the time lost in ferrying troops around. I tried this idea once and I found that I ran out of production slots on Tokyo. I guess your problem though is that you don’t like the available locations on the first turn. I think Kiangsu is fine. It’s really good for fighting China. It’s not very easy for the other allies to take out. Not really useful for attacking India of course but you have transports and FIC for that.

• Not all of them go back to re-supply at the same time. Actually just a few once in a while. But you’re right it takes time and momentum.

Might be better to buy that mIC in Kiangsu along with two transports for J1. And settle for a total of 6 or 7 transports. Can’t do a grand swoop on everything J3, but usually it’s tough to get it all anyway. The next mIC should probably then be in FIC.

• @AxisAndAllies1940 i don’t believe i have ever thought of the egyptian ANZAC patrol scooping up persia for a factory…

• @Charles-de-Gaulle said in Factories and Facilties—Where, How, When, and Why?:

Does anyone ever consider upgrading the minor IC on Rome to a major?  I usually find that it is not necessary until late in the game, and by that time I don’t want to do it or lack the IPCs.

Nope. I can’t ever fill the 13 units the the Mic and the mic allow, and its too much wasted income the I ties need elsewhere. if italy needs to produce more than 13 units, i feel the game should be over…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m