Converting my 1st edition game to 2nd edition

• I have 2 copies of global, one of them is 1st edition.
    From what I can tell I’ll need to get the rule books and AAA guns for each country.
    From HBG I can get British, USA, Russia and ANZAC AAA guns.
    Germany and Italy I would need to get Artillery units since the “artillery” units in 1st edition are actually AAA guns. HBG is out of stock. Their generic artillery units look “ok”. Do the colors match well with the orginal Axis and Allies units?
    HBG doesn’t have French AAA units(no big deal)
    HBG is out of stock with Japanese AAA units. I seem to be out of luck, any suggestions?
    Anything else I’m missing?

• '18 '17 '16

• doesn’t the 2nd edition 1942 have nation coloured AA guns which were used in 1940 2nd as AAA?
    I did this with my 1st ed Pac. 1940 and just used grey generic AA guns from an earlier game. (like we all don’t have an earlier edition of an A&A game on the shelf) :-)
    I prefer the 1st edition maps over the second edition. Never liked the income tracker on the board.
    I did however buy a used 2nd ed. Europe 1940 as there are too many unique colours to buy individually
    Never hurts to have a few more pieces for Italy and France too.
    I know HBG sells pieces at a good price but shipping to Canada is way overpriced. (12-18 pieces costs $25 for shipping)

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

You could try the AA guns from the base set;
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Battle-Pieces–GW36-Base-Set--AA-Gun-x5-_p_2896.html

Good find. Did not see those earlier.

• Global 1940 2nd edition has more nation-specific sculpt designs than the 1st edition, including a full set of nation-specific ANZAC and Italian sculpts.  That element is strictly speaking just cosmetic, if the only consideration of your conversion is playability.  Each nation (except China) does, however, get actual anti-aircraft artillery sculpts in the 2nd edition, which were absent (as sculpts) in the 1st edition.

• @CWO:

Global 1940 2nd edition has more nation-specific sculpt designs than the 1st edition, including a full set of nation-specific ANZAC and Italian sculpts.  That element is strictly speaking just cosmetic, if the only consideration of your conversion is playability.  Each nation (except China) does, however, get actual anti-aircraft artillery sculpts in the 2nd edition, which were absent (as sculpts) in the 1st edition.

I have a copy of 2nd edition. I keep it at my father in law’s house. He loves the game, it is set up 80% of the time I go over. I have my 1st edition at my house. Yeah 2nd edition sculpts are better but just looking for playability when just me and son can play. We had 3 of his buddies playing 1914 last weekend and they loved it……more recruits.

• I picked up another copy of 2nd edition from Amazons boxing day sale for &30 CDN.
    You might keep an eye out for sales on major holidays like Memorial Day/the 4th of July/Thanksgiving/…

Thrift stores are also good places for deals as are local conventions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m