How many Players is the perfect number for Axis and Allies?

• I like 2 or 5.  Two because it truly tests your skills.  There is no one else to blame.  5 because it makes a great party.

• I like having 8 players… One for france, italy and china as well. Certainly no less than 4-6 is best.

• How do you make 8 work.  I really want to know!

• 2007 AAR League

I most certainly prefer a 2-player game.

Even though you play more than 2 players, I find that oftenly it is only the most experienced Axis/Allies player who makes all the decisions for the other players anyway. In that way the game is less interesting for those players who do not get to make their own decisions. And also less interesting for the more experienced players, who need to constantly oversee what their co-players are doing.

Anyone else who have experienced the same? Maybe we are a bit too competetive in our group.  :-(

• Yes, I’ve had that happen.  My opponet did it, and I let him because his teamates had never played before.  They won and one of the noobs now brags about having beat me once.

• How do you make 8 work.  I really want to know!

You play either my version of axis and allies, or you play Zeno games version, or you make your own?

• umm I was kindof looking for details.  For instance, wouldn’t france fall pretty darn quick?

• Well depending if your playing “delux second world war 1939-45” in the 1939 scenario it can last at most about 1-2 turns… that is once you decide to attack it with the full fury of your panzers. If you try to take out poland, norway, denmarck, yugoslavia, greece and others at the same time its probably going down in 2-3 rounds… It also depends of the BEF decide to cut the rope to france, or fully commit the royal airforce  etc… however ususally doing that follows major problems for England in africa. In this game a turn is 6  months, while i have another game where the turns go to 4 months (3 per year). Also in this game their is another second combat phase known as “breakthrough and exploitation” allowing mech units the ability to conduct a further movement and attack. This usually is what does the trick and takes out old paris allowing Hitler to have this tour…

• I think two players is the best for the following reason.  The Allies must have complete coordination to win.  The Germans and Japanese can act individually and still be quite competitive, but if the Allies are not in agreement on a single strategy, they are lost.

To emphasize the matter further, try not having any table talk to plan strategies.  The Allies would most likely lose.

Five players is fun for a friendly game to get people involved, but once it becomes serious, 1 on 1 is best for game play.

• I would try to have as many as possible, because of the “the more the merrier” rule.

• if you have the booze, five person game is great. so many mistakes on every side. the game usually results in outlandish battles that take place just because; kinda like huge battleship fights or things like that….but if you want the most solid game you want to do 1v1 allies MUST be cooridinated.

• @Octopus:

I think two players is the best for the following reason.  The Allies must have complete coordination to win.  The Germans and Japanese can act individually and still be quite competitive, but if the Allies are not in agreement on a single strategy, they are lost.

To emphasize the matter further, try not having any table talk to plan strategies.  The Allies would most likely lose.

Five players is fun for a friendly game to get people involved, but once it becomes serious, 1 on 1 is best for game play.

That was exactly what I was going to say.  I play for fun, and love a challenge, but enjoy 5 players most.  This clearly puts the Axis at an advantage.  Coordination is definitely the Allies’ strength, so when there are only two players, the Axis have a harder time.

5 forces you to work with guys that do not think in the same light… Of course this does not apply to newbs who you tell what to do…

• @Guerrilla:

5 forces you to work with guys that do not think in the same light… Of course this does not apply to newbs who you tell what to do…

You WILL attack Brazil.  There’s no reason not to!  It’s completely undefended!!  And 3 IPCs!!!

yeah unfortunately Red BB’s are reaaallly cool… how much do they cost again?

• yeah unfortunately Red BB’s are reaaallly cool… how much do they cost again?

Lol your ENTIRE INCOME for one round  :roll:

• I’m still waiting for somebody to explain to me why they even put russian naval units in the box.  Heck, I’d like to see russia build a navy and live to tell the tale!

• Yea they should have made more tanks and artillery pieces…

• We have four, so thats what we play with.

We just have one person play as Britain and Russia.

• Altho my first Revised game is this week, our group played many games of the original from mid 80’s to late 90’s.    We also played 4-player the majority of times, and that was our favorite.  We had Britain and USA split Russia, and that often led to some unique confrontations as they might have differing opinions how to handle the Red Machine.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m