• Can some one explain unprovoked vs provoked DoW?

The manual doesn’t it make it very clear.
    Some examples would be great.

• '17 '16 '15

Hi Telon

Unprovoked means someone attacked you first.

Provoked means you attacked them first.

• For example. The political situation stats the UK/anzac and can declair any turn on one another. When this happens would this be provoked or unprovoked.

Or when je do it in reaction to hostile ships entering waters jou are already in and in response
    declare war?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I was quite confused too at the beginning playing AA.

If UK/Anzac attacks Japan first, this is provoked DOW.
    If Japan attacks UK/Anzac/US first and UK/Anzac attacks back, this is a unprovoked DOW.

When provoked attack happens, US cannot immediately attack Japan back.  So UK/Anzac have the choice of either taking advantage of attacking first but taking risk of not allowing US entering war till the end of 3rd turn; or Japan declared attack to the three countries (unprovoked attack) to take advantage of attacking unprepared countries, but allowing US to entering war sooner.  That’s what make political situation interesting.  We have more choice to start a game in a significant different ways instead of an almost script like opening.

• Official Q&A

See page 11 of the Rulebook (“Declaring War”) for an explanation of this concept.

• @Krieghund:

See page 11 of the Rulebook (“Declaring War”) for an explanation of this concept.

If I go with that it means Japan can declair war on UK/ANZAC without triggering the 30 IPC bonus for the US.

• @Telon:

@Krieghund:

If I go with that it means Japan can declair war on UK/ANZAC without triggering the 30 IPC bonus for the US.

Only if UK/ANZAC declared war on Japan first. Think of it this way:

Japan attacks any of UK, ANZAC, or the US first - unprovoked attack, 30 IPC bonus for the US

UK or ANZAC attacks Japan first - provoked attack, no bonus for the US

Does that clear things up?

-Midnight_Reaper

• Or if UK or ANZAC moves units into a Chinese territory, even though they did not DOW on Japan.
    Sending units to support China is a provocation, which allows Japan to do a provoked DOW -> no bonus for the US.

• to get the US special 30 point bonus, Japan has to physically ‘act’ [first] in a manner that is the direct cause of war…. I think

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m