• @M36:

it doesnt really make sense to have a health bar in most games anyway. You get shot, your out.

maybe if you get hit in your kevlar than your good, but that wasnt around in ww2.

Thats why I like Battlefont2, only your armor is between you and death. :mrgreen:

What’s Battlefront2?
    You’re not thinking of Battlefield 2 are you?  If so, I think a challenge is in order.  :-D

• somebody buy COD2 so i can plug them with my MP44. Just dont tell me i cant do the “bunny hop” in the game and ill will never get hit… well allmost never… I love standing behind a sniper a watch him before i clobber him with the butt of my rifle.

• @Imperious:

somebody buy COD2 so i can plug them with my MP44. Just dont tell me i cant do the “bunny hop” in the game and ill will never get hit… well allmost never… I love standing behind a sniper a watch him before i clobber him with the butt of my rifle.

I’m getting there.  It’s a three paycheck month, not to mention profit sharing, and I anticipate buying it soon.  Beating single player in two difficulties has left me craving multiplayer.  We’ll see how your MP44 stands up against my tried & true BAR!

• Bah… the bar is too heavy its like holding a cannon.

• @Imperious:

Bah… the bar is too heavy its like holding a cannon.

And how is that a problem?  As long as I’m pointing it the right way…

Oh yeah, IL.  Do you do chat in the game?  VoIP or TeamSpeak?

• I have it installed and i have the headset, but since i dont know anybody on the servers i dodnt have it plugged in. I forgot which one i got. I think its team speak or the one that was compatible with half life.

• @Mistelten:

Honestly, I’m kind of tired of ALL of the attention going to Normandy all the time.  Now I have absolute respect for the men who fought and died at Normandy.  That was a better battle than what I was ever in, but that was one landing in a war that had so many.  What about the near 7,000 men who died on Iwo Jima?  What about bloody Tarawa, or Peleliu, or the D-Day (in scope, not in landing tactics) of the Pacific:  Guadalcanal?

Then Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault should satisfy you. Quite a nice game. The Banzai charges are insane, especially when you’re in a sandbag emplacement with your Thompson just blitzing away from left to right… reload… right to left… reload… and so on- AND YOU STILL HIT SOMETHING WITH EVERY FRIGGIN’ BULLET!
    @Mistelten:

If they every do make a game from the German perspective, it would be nice to see it from the Afrika Korps, since that part has been neglected by game makers (and because Rommel is my favorite general of the era).

Quoted for truth. C’mon, I want to play as a German Wehrmacht soldier, living through battles like Stalingrad, Kursk, Tobruk, the Ardennes, the Battle of the Hedgerows, etc- it’s perfectly politically correct. I’m not asking for a SS- Einsatzgruppen- Simulation, where your objective is to kill 1.500 Jews per hour or so…

• While it might not be the best in graphics, the best WW2 fps that I have ever played is WW2Online. Maybe some of you here have played it but if you havn’t then you should seriously check it out. It’s actually a mmofps and is ww2 in the time period of 1942 Europe. The map is a half scale of Europe and there is no Russia, Italy, Africa theare included yet. You can play as either British, French or German. Each army is setup more or less like a real military with a navy, airforce and army. The war rages 24/7 with hundreds of players on at any time of day. I am a serious ww2 buff and I have played all the other games and sure call of duty 2 may be a lot of fun and the graphics and realism are amazing but still nothing can portray a real battle better than ww2online for me. The lurning curve is extremely steep and it takes a few weeks to a couple of months to really understand how the game works but once you get it it’s amazing. Nothing beats a battle where your spending hours desperately fighting for every yard against your enemy with countless infantry, tanks and planes going at it in real time. It’s a pay to play game but it’s worth every penny to me. It’s also highly addictive.

• I think you can show the conflict from both sides without promoting any ideology.  I don’t think CoD was praising Stalin when it had the Soviet Commander saying “Comrade Stalin would be proud of you, as I am proud of you!” because no one likes Stalin.  It’s just showing history as it happened.  The same thing could apply to German units who fought in the army of a tyrant but fought for many reasons unrelated to his ambition, just like every volunteer army in history.

• Damn…WW2online still exists?  I thought it disappeared, never to have gotten a chance to play it.  I’ve been checking out Red Orchestra, which is cool, but has taken a bit to get used to.  It talks about realism, and it’s great for vehicular combat in that regard and also weapons (to a degree), but the men feel like they are made of silly putty or something.  Can’t even climb over a two foot tall fence.  How is that for realism?

• @44thIronman:

While it might not be the best in graphics, the best WW2 fps that I have ever played is WW2Online. Maybe some of you here have played it but if you havn’t then you should seriously check it out. It’s actually a mmofps and is ww2 in the time period of 1942 Europe. The map is a half scale of Europe and there is no Russia, Italy, Africa theare included yet. You can play as either British, French or German. Each army is setup more or less like a real military with a navy, airforce and army. The war rages 24/7 with hundreds of players on at any time of day. I am a serious ww2 buff and I have played all the other games and sure call of duty 2 may be a lot of fun and the graphics and realism are amazing but still nothing can portray a real battle better than ww2online for me. The lurning curve is extremely steep and it takes a few weeks to a couple of months to really understand how the game works but once you get it it’s amazing. Nothing beats a battle where your spending hours desperately fighting for every yard against your enemy with countless infantry, tanks and planes going at it in real time. It’s a pay to play game but it’s worth every penny to me. It’s also highly addictive.

I was there for the launch of WW2 online. GReat theory. Bad in practice. Very buggy. At the time they had no limits to vehicles, Frame rates were horrible.

They have a free trial now, as most MMO now do. I do wonder what its like now.

Squirecam

• @squirecam:

@44thIronman:

While it might not be the best in graphics, the best WW2 fps that I have ever played is WW2Online. Maybe some of you here have played it but if you havn’t then you should seriously check it out. It’s actually a mmofps and is ww2 in the time period of 1942 Europe. The map is a half scale of Europe and there is no Russia, Italy, Africa theare included yet. You can play as either British, French or German. Each army is setup more or less like a real military with a navy, airforce and army. The war rages 24/7 with hundreds of players on at any time of day. I am a serious ww2 buff and I have played all the other games and sure call of duty 2 may be a lot of fun and the graphics and realism are amazing but still nothing can portray a real battle better than ww2online for me. The lurning curve is extremely steep and it takes a few weeks to a couple of months to really understand how the game works but once you get it it’s amazing. Nothing beats a battle where your spending hours desperately fighting for every yard against your enemy with countless infantry, tanks and planes going at it in real time. It’s a pay to play game but it’s worth every penny to me. It’s also highly addictive.

I was there for the launch of WW2 online. GReat theory. Bad in practice. Very buggy. At the time they had no limits to vehicles, Frame rates were horrible.

They have a free trial now, as most MMO now do. I do wonder what its like now.

Squirecam

I tried it out after 44ths report, and I can say I didn’t take advantage of the trial.  Like you said, great theory, but buggy and also dated graphics.  It was cool feeling like you were a part of something, but dear god…taking 20 minutes to make it to the fighting and getting picked off from who knows where?  It was crazy and hard to get used to.  RedOrchestra took my attention for it’s easier (yet slightly difficult) learning curve.  Maybe some other time, but I didn’t feel it was worth a monthly subscription.

• CoD is all you need! If you get bored then get maybe MoH or BIA. Battlefield 1942 is good also, although it’s not good for history buffs.

• Patch - I am a big fan of CoD.  I thought the first was brilliant, and the second was quite solid.  However, check out Red Orchestra if you haven’t yet.  It’s a new take on WW2 FPS, and it’s done well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m