• I recently saw that a few players using Johnston Island as a second Base and even build either an AB or a NB or even both on it.
    Since i found it a waste of Ipc’s i was still wondering if there is truely some tactical advantage for implementing J.Island in a game like that.

Any thoughts??

• I don’t use it, AetV.

• @aequitas:

I recently saw that a few players using Johnston Island as a second Base and even build either an AB or a NB or even both on it.
    Since i found it a waste of Ipc’s i was still wondering if there is truely some tactical advantage for implementing J.Island in a game like that.

Any thoughts??

Glancing at the map, it looks like the only real advantage is it would make supporting either major spot in ANZAC possible in one move, instead of sitting on Hawaii and only being able to reach Queensland.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Wake or Midway NB allows you to move around the block of SZ 16.

Hawaii NB    1 route to Japan 1 to Queensland
    Midway NB  2 routes to Japan.  1 new route direct to Russia
    Wake NB  3 routes to Japan.  (still can’t reach mainland)
    Carolines NB  can reach Japan or Philippines (4 paths)

Since Hawaii and Carolines already exist in the set up, they are the most flexible.  Buying a NB at the periphery or on one of these islands is ok (or Alaska or aleut), but its really kind of a waste of money because buying a really Cadillac fleet and using that flexibly at Queensland, Carolines is way better than sitting back and building up closer to home for a base you will use 1-2 times, then forward bases get captured.

• '21 '18 '16

Caroline Islands or bust! AB and NB can go anywhere.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

From what I’ve seen, the US can easily take the Carolines. However, what usually happens is that the US player doesn’t have a plan beyond “I’m going to take the Caroline Islands” and then muddles about ineffectively.

The Carolines is a great spot, but it’s useless unless you know where you are going AFTER you take it.

Marsh

• I am with you all on that one.
    But  i was wondering that even seasoned players used J.Island for some sort of a tactical recoil point or what ever.
    That is why i am asking.
    That i might missing something here with J.Island… :|

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Sort of, if you are putting a lot of stuff in the Atlantic, you’ll hardly be able to ward Japan off if he wants to step, the naval base doesn’t change that, and he might take it over.

If you are going 100% KJF, he is not likely to be able move away from his reinforcements and challenge the SZ 10-Queens path.  He could face off at Carolines with you, but that doesn’t pull in any money or VCs.

• '19 '17 '16

Fleet their can’t be reached from SZ6. The naval base allows reaching Sydney but it isn’t likely that would be important.

I think that’s about it.

• Johnston Islands has no tactical or strategic advantage.

Now, if the battle is going to the South Pacific the Solomon Islands is a key sz for both USA and Japan.

Then again how many Japan players have you faced who focus on the naval aspect of the game? The vast majority of Japan players ignore the naval side of Japan and go all in on China/India.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Whether Japan focuses there or not, the easiest way to destroy Japan and the axis to push him off his homeland with 100% KJF, every game (unfortunately).  Germany isn’t vulnerable and Italy doesn’t matter too much.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Johnston Island is an emergency move to defend Sydney

• Only if you’re sure Japan can’t take it- that’s disaster! If Japan controls Alaska/ WCanada, it can strat bomb WUS, and if it controls New Heb., it can strat bomb ANZAC.The naval base can be useful for moving equipment to help ANZAC, though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m