• So I have been working for a while now on designing my own map through inkscape. For a while it was working without any issues. After I finished China and saved (not seeing at the bottom it said that it did not save) I closed it down and now that work is gone. I have about refinished China but whenever I click to save at the bottom of the screen it says “Document not saved”. Any idea what is happening and how to fix it?

• I assume you are working with a very large file…
    How much RAM do you have? How big is that file?

See
    http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18809

• 101MB, and I am not sure on RAM. When I try to find it on my laptop it says “Installed RAM 8.0 GB (7.89 usable)”. Not sure if this is what you were looking for. Also it randomly decided to work on saving. However, it would be nice to know how to actually solve this problem in the future not just hope it fixes itself again because I did lose a little work (but not enough to be serious). Thank you for the help

• I removed Inkscape from my PC some time ago, so I can only answer based on aspects I recall.

What you are describing sounds like and might be a RAM-issue. Sometimes there is enough RAM available to save the file, sometimes not.
    So there might be situations where your 8GB RAM is not sufficcient. You can try to free RAM by closing any programs not needed when working with Inkscape.

Are you on a 64bit Windows and do you have the latest 64bit Inkscape version (0.92.2) installed?
    For dealing with large files the 64bit version is of course recommended.

• Bugs use a real program like Creative Suite by Adobe. You can get the educational version which is the same as the normal product, by joining a school getting an ID card, then dropping out all in about 1 day saving you like 70%

• Panther, I am not a computer guy so I don’t know the answers to those questions. Is there an easy way to get them?
    IL, I am actually a student at the University of Washington right now so I can look into getting that package. Is this the one you were talking about? https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html?sdid=1XGJD51D&mv=search&s_kwcid=AL!3085!3!247663125581!e!!g!!adobe creative suite student&ef_id=WRtLzwAAAG@YPLdf:20180205042352:s
    The one all the way to the right within that table.
    That being said I have made way too much progress on this map through Inkscape (Europe/North Africa being done, Mainland Pacific also being done) to just scrap it. However, this program is very limited in making a map past the basic concepts. So potentially once the basics are done I can use these programs to make the map prettier and cleaner.

• @bgugs:

Panther, I am not a computer guy so I don’t know the answers to those questions. Is there an easy way to get them?

In the Windows control panel find and execute “System”. In the opening window search for type of system indicated as either 32bit or 64bit.
    In Inkscape go to the Help menu and click on “About” (or similar) in the opening window there is (if I recall correctly) a version indicated in the upper right corner.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m