Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated March 23rd)

• Should this thread be moved and pinned to the AA50 forum? [shrug]

• @Nowhere:

Saw this information when I looked it up… they are definately one-in-the-same…

Scrim vinyl is the most common substrate for printing outdoor banners. Scrim vinyl is a polyethylene substrate, reinforced with polyester cording. This internal cording is what gives it strength and durability to withstand damaging winds and weather conditions. The smooth surface makes it a great contender for displaying graphics and text. If you pair scrim vinyl with  solvent-based inkjet printing; you will get a sharp, color saturate set of graphics that will last. The solvent-based inks will actually become encapsulated into the substrate, creating essentially a tatoo within the fibers of the vinyl. The colors are vivid, and the inks do not fade to sunlight; and last even longer when laminated. The embedded ink image, with its permanence, can potentially outlast the surface of the scrim vinyl! This substrate can sustain between three to seven years of wind and weather, depending upon its abuse levels and if its been laminated. Longevity is the name of this game if you are looking for a solution will likely last beyond the original purpose of the signage!

I have 1941, 1942, Global and now Anniversary maps all printed in this material… I can attest it lasts with a lot of play and lies flat. I’ve heard really great things about show-floor, but its hard to break away from something thats been working for our group for so long.

Haha I found that same information about scrim vinyl when I was researching it! I am glad it is working out so well for you. I am excited to see how mine turns out as this will be my first map print ever! Also, thanks for sharing the link for your storage solution. That poster tube looks really nice!

• @2Huskies:

Haha I found that same information about scrim vinyl when I was researching it! I am glad it is working out so well for you. I am excited to see how mine turns out as this will be my first map print ever! Also, thanks for sharing the link for your storage solution. That poster tube looks really nice!

The poster tube is a must for me…. when not using the map, I roll it up (print side facing out), shove it in the tube and put the tube in my game closet… I don’t have to worry about it getting kicked, or crushed or bent or flattened in any way… it’s stored safely in the tube till the next time I need the map.

Hope you enjoy your first printed map… let us know when you get it done and feel free to link pictures!

20180325_220554-1.jpg

• Has anybody printed one of these yet and have an idea of the cost and where to take the file to have it done? Not a fan of the 3 pieces sliding apart plus mine are starting to warp.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@SeekAndDestroy:

Has anybody printed one of these yet and have an idea of the cost and where to take the file to have it done? Not a fan of the 3 pieces sliding apart plus mine are starting to warp.

Reading this thread you might find that Nowhere Man, Young Grasshopper and 2Huskies have printed the map. I think both NM and YG have posted the cost for their map in this thread as well.

Unfortunately I haven’t printed my map yet. So I cannot tell you myself.

• @SeekAndDestroy:

Has anybody printed one of these yet and have an idea of the cost and where to take the file to have it done? Not a fan of the 3 pieces sliding apart plus mine are starting to warp.

I wrote extensively about my experience printing this map, including pictures, scroll up to the top of the 5th page in this thread for my report including pictures…

In a Nutshell:
    Printed the OOB map with *Fasces on Scrim/Outdoor-banner vinyl at same size of board map (24x46) which cost me $60 (US). A larger map or using different material can change this price of course.  Please scroll to the top of page 5 of this thread for pictures.

*OOB with Fasces is the historically accurate version of the Anniversary map… the default Italian Roundel is actually Iran’s roundel, not Italy (which would be red on the outside circle,  not green), but Fascist Axis Italy only used the fasces on their roundels during the war… to get matching control roundels (with fasces), you can pick these up pretty cheap at Historical Board Gaming website.

• Sponsor

Hey Tjoek,

Would it be possible to share with us a file with the Italian fascist roundel on the map with the income tracker?

Cheers

YG

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Young:

Would it be possible to share with us a file with the Italian fascist roundel on the map with the income tracker?

Not a problem at all YG, see my updated first post!

• Thank you Tjoek for all the hard work and time you put on the A&A Anniversary Edition Map!

I had my map printed on scrim vinyl at 1.5 times the size, and it came out absolutely amazing!  My map measures approximately 35 inches wide by 68 inches long!  It also has about a 5/8 inch white border.  Below is a comparison shot of the original map with the three boards and my printed map.  You will see some slight distortion in the corners of my map in this picture, but that is not present on the actual print.  It is a result of having to use a wide angle lense to capture the entire photo of my map sprawled across my Queen size bed!

With Tjoek’s permission, I worked with a friend to make a couple changes to the original OOB map file that he has available to the community.  The changes are:

• The Russian borders have had the color changed to a Soviet Communist red.  This allowed them to be more visible while still fitting the theme of the game.
    • The Italian borders are a slightly darker brown in order to make them more pronounced.

If anyone is interested, Tjoek has my png file and can add it to his original post as another alternative version to print.  I will post some close up pictures as well, and I look forward to hearing what you guys think!

A&A Anniversary Edition - Map Comparison.jpg

• Below is a picture of my alternate map displaying Europe and the Eastern front so that you can see what both the Italian borders and Soviet Communist borders look like.

A&A Anniversary Edition - Europe and Eastern Front.jpg

• Below is a close-up picture of the Russian borders being changes to a Soviet Communist red.  My camera doesn’t make them appear as red as they are in person.  These borders are more visible against the background color of the territories, and they still fit the theme of the game.

A&A Anniversary Edition - Soviet Russia.jpg

• Below is a close-up picture of the Italian borders from my version of Tjoek’s map file.  The borders are a slightly darker brown, which makes them more pronounced and visible against the background color of the territories.

Again, if anyone is interested in this version, please reply.  Tjoek has my png file and can make it available if others are interested.  Regardless, I look forward to reading your comments on what you think!

Thanks,
    2Huskies

A&A Anniversary Edition - Darker Italy Borders.jpg

• Very nice, but with a map that big, where the heck are you going to play it? More importantly, how are you going to reach across the map to shake the hand of your opponent… you can’t reach him!  :-D

• Haha my friend has a table that can accommodate this map size! We just played Global 1940, which is a 32" by 70" map out of box, so this Anniversary map will fit just fine! We are excited to try Anniversary Edition for the first time and are especially excited for the increased size of the territories!

• That damned Iranian Roundel for Italy just cannot be unseen… damn you Wizards of the Coast for using the wrong colors (not to mention the wrong idea for the Italian roundel to begin with). Thanks again to Tjoek for fixing that with the Fasces and HBG for offering proper Fasces roundels in either “ordinary” or “super cool” upgraded roundels.

• Sponsor

@Tjoek:

@Young:

Not a problem at all YG, see my updated first post!

Thank you Tjoek… nice work indeed.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@2Huskies:

Thank you Tjoek for all the hard work and time you put on the A&A Anniversary Edition Map!

Your welcome, and thanks for sharing your printed map with the community! I will add your version as a special to the first post when I’ve a bit more time at hand.

• My local printshop suggested printing on Tyvek. It’s pretty cheap and resistant to tearing. Does anybody have experience with using this? I’m mainly concerned with the durability of it - will the ink wear off in time? The printshop isn’t sure, since “the toner will be on top [of the Tyvek]”.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Ozymandiac:

will the ink wear off in time? The printshop isn’t sure, since “the toner will be on top [of the Tyvek]”.

I’m not familiar with Tyvek, but my print on PVC is also ink on top of the material. I tried a few printshops and asked for a small sample to test how sratch resistent the print is. It turned out that for PVC there is a huge difference between the shops. So ask you shop for a small piece of printed Tyvek (maybe from a misprint they did for another client that they would normally throw away anyway)

Another option is to protects your print with a few coats of clear varnish.

• @Tjoek:

Another option is to protects your print with a few coats of clear varnish.

And as a further layer of protection (in addition to the varnish, which is a wise precaution), you might consider covering the map with a thin sheet of non-glare acrylic or plexiglass.  You can see an example over here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32700.0

The material I used is called non-glare Acrylite P-99.  It was originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness, but I had it trimmed to the size I needed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m