Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated March 23rd)

• @Nowhere:

Very nice, but with a map that big, where the heck are you going to play it? More importantly, how are you going to reach across the map to shake the hand of your opponent… you can’t reach him!  :-D

Once you go big you never go back. Keep up the good work Tjoek’s !

image1(28).png

• Map looks great!  I’m a fan of NOT having the ghost images behind it.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

With your comments I’ve made up my mind as I’m going for a clean map. Just like my Global 1940 map

After some hours of work over the weekend I’ve managed to get rid of the AA logo and artwork on the center board. And re centered the sea zone numbers fo 29, 31 and 32.

Now moving on to the US fighters on the right most board.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

And if anyone is wondering why the colors of my last pictures are a bit dull: I’m fixing the artwork on the original scans before doing the color corrections. So the final map files will be as vibrant as the current one that’s up for download.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

The last corner with the US fighters was a hell of a lot of work, but it’s done. See for yourself the before and after of the Anniversary board (click for larger images):

Before

After

Just some more minor cleanups to do before I will release this final file to the community, but it’s hard to find the time at the moment.

• You put a ton of time into this!  Thanks for your effort!

• '20 '19 '18

Can’t wait to play on this cleaned up version of the map! Keep up the good work!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Thanks guys! It has been busy lately, but I’ve managed to revisit nearly all sea zones to clean up some more smaller issues.
    After that I will do all territories and finalize the map. Hopefully somewhere in November.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

Thanks Tjoek! Keep up the awesome work!

• Any update on the completed version? I’m waiting for the final version to print it out for play.

If you don’t have time to complete it, can you release any working files (.psd?) you have so I can complete it before I print?

Thanks, awesome work!

• @P-Unit I have actually finalised the file today. Only thing left to do is to generate the different versions and upload them. So watch this space the coming days.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Updated! See first post for new map files!

Let me know if you miss anything.

I consider these finalised for now. If people want me to correct Iwo Jima or Honolulu send me a PM. I might consider doing it for a small fee.

• Hello Everyone!
    With my inability to edit the base image color for Russian territories in the IL maps, i’ve found Tjoek map more useful and coherent to the original version. I’ve chosen the OOB version, removed Mobilization Zone to left and added some of the IL beautiful images (planes and submarine)… order of play is indicated in the faction board, so it is not mandatory to have it on the board so i didn’t add it. I would like to reposition Honolulu… but i think i will send this file as is.

@Tjoek: really great job!

Untitled.jpg

Luca

@Tjoek
    I’m working on Honolulu as a tribute to all of this work you’ve done. I actually went and carefully isolated the dot, text and shadows out of the background before I realized you can probably just drop it all wholesale, land and sea bits and all, on the correct island.

Iwo Jima is done already, assuming the rotation is all that was wrong with that one.

The real winner, here, is fricking GIMP. Seriously, I cannot believe something like GIMP exists.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated March 29th):

@Tjoek
    I’m working on Honolulu as a tribute to all of this work you’ve done. I actually went and carefully isolated the dot, text and shadows out of the background before I realized you can probably just drop it all wholesale, land and sea bits and all, on the correct island.

Iwo Jima is done already, assuming the rotation is all that was wrong with that one.

The real winner, here, is fricking GIMP. Seriously, I cannot believe something like GIMP exists.

Thnx mate! Please send the updates to me and I will merge them with the files posted on the main post.

• @Tjoek will do. if not over the holidays then first week of Janurary.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot Perfect!

I finished the fixed version with Honolulu moved to SE Oahu and a corrected Iwo Jima- @Tjoek check your PMs. I was going to just rotate it and leave it alone, but the OOB cartography is obviously based on a US pilot’s crude description as he rocketed overhead with bogeys in pursuit (looks very different from the actual island) so I got antsy and just redrew it.

For you purists, Tjoek can probably knock out the rotated OOB version in a couple minutes.

Note: the image below is halved for posting- don’t actually patch your map file with it. Wait for Tjoek to update the masters.

AA50_IJ+H_fix_patch.png

There was also a N/S stitching seam running through the text of “Honolulu” that I hunted down with the clone tool up to Alaska and down past NZ, but it was invisible on anything lower than about 150% on my monitors.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot thanks mate! I’ll look into merging your fixes when I’ve got the time. Just started a new job which is consuming my time at the moment.

Regarding Iwo Jima, if you go the route of fixing all the islands to their correct shape you’re doomed with the AA maps. Most of the islands are rubbish. Or simply don’t exist at all. Spot the two fake ‘Atlantis’ islands in the Dutch East Indies.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I’ve updated all 4 map files in the original post to now also include the fixes for Honolulu and Iwo Jima.

Please note that didn’t go with the realistic Iwo Jima (as almost non of the islands have realistic borders), but I only flipped it upside down and corrected the light shading for the new orientation.

@vodot: thanks for your help!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m