• Hey, I have played numerous games and the allies lose every time. I am asking what the allies can do without changing rules or implementing a bid. I haven’t been able to figure out how to win. (I guess i need to sharpen up my strategy skills.) Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

You can try playing without National Objectives, although I guess that’s technically a “rule change.”

I say this because the National Objectives give the Axis a huge advantage, as they’re able to keep/gain theirs easily while the Allies tend to lose/fail-to-gain theirs.

• I didn’t know that 1941 had its own national objectives. If you could tell me where i could find them it would be great. I guess my game didn’t come with them cause I got it almost 6 years ago. THANKS!

• @Topmat:

I didn’t know that 1941 had its own national objectives. If you could tell me where i could find them it would be great. I guess my game didn’t come with them cause I got it almost 6 years ago. THANKS!

Anniversary Edition has always contained national objectives (see the rulebook) - as well in the 1941 as the 1942 setup.

Are you referring to the standalone “1941” game? In this case you would be in the wrong forum.

Please clarify, we can move the thread, just in case.

• I am referring to the stand alone game (I guess). I did not know that there was another 1941 version. Sorry.

• @Topmat:

I am referring to the stand alone game (I guess). I did not know that there was another 1941 version. Sorry.

No problem.  :-)
    Moved from Anniversary Edition (1941) to this subforum.

• The only game I participated in where I did well as a part of the allies
    I (having the most games under my belt) was Russia.

The following happened ;

-The US player was aggressive in the pacific against Japan (minimizing japan’s attention on the mainland)

-The UK player reinforced me in Moscow with fighters allowing me to be more aggressive with assets vs Germany

-As Russia I caught a decent amount of dice luck and Germany was left wondering what happened.

Now none of this is to say Allies won (we didn’t), but it certainly drug things out for a bit.

• I have played a game similar to this. But even when US forces are aggressive, Japan still overcomes them and captures Australia and the islands around it. It does also have a good amount of luck, but I have played several games and it really doesn’t change anything.

• The Axis do have the advantage. The more inexperienced the players the greater that advantage can be, as the allies need to get so much right to give themselves a shot.

Typically I would want an 8 bid to be allies.

Some of the things the allies need to get right:

• Russia needs to maximise its survival. A good Russian player can inflict serious defeats on a less good German player, by consolidating the force it has at its disposal.
    • The USA has to keep J focused on the Pacific to avoid J sending significant forces across China to attack the Caucasus and Moscow from the east.
    • UK maintains a 1 unit build each turn in India. If those can reinforce R as well as hold off J incursions then so much the better.
    • A combined UK/US fleet off northern Europe asap (usually by turn 2, 3 or 4) effecting landings in western Europe or sending units east via Norway and dragging G resources away from the eastern front.

Good luck!

• Heed Private Panic’s advice , Topmat.
    He has played many games of this with new, inexperienced players.

• First off, make sure you have the latest version of the setup which includes 6 Russian (not 3) infantry in Moscow, an American infantry in Northwestern China, and an American destroyer on the East Coast.  Also, the US has a starting income and IPCs in hand value of 17 not 15.   If your game already has all of this, you have a newer version.

Quick strategy guides:

Soviet Union:
    Don’t spill yourself all over like water.  You have enough infantry to move up with a stack and not worry about German counterattack.  Consider being offensive for the sake of income: Manchuria, Finland sometimes.  Keep the Caucasus at all costs.  Make sure the Allies are sending units to help you constantly.  The only thing you build is infantry and tanks.  Don’t lose your fighter.

United Kingdom:
    Be offensive in Southeast Asia.  Keep resistance to Japanese invasion in the south.  Send units to Russia by the Middle East.  If Germany attacks Egypt, kick them out, but I don’t recommend pursuing the Mediterranean any further.  Like Panic said, use that India factory constantly.  Don’t be afraid to build in Australia.  When possible, start dumping troops into Europe.  Air units are good to back up small navies and armies.

United States:
    Get a naval presence in the Pacific as soon as possible.  Battleships are really overpowered in this version so I recommend one or two at all times.  Consider using the Sea Zone outside the Soloman Islands because you can hit the whole Pacific from there. Don’t let Japan take down your navy, but crush them when they separate to take islands.  Consider sending air units and even ground units to Russia via Norway, North Africa, or the Far East.  Help the UK keep a pressure on Europe.  Bombers have amazing range and can hit nearly every Axis position if stationed in Russia.

And don’t forget the propaganda.

• I will try this today PP. I guess I am an inexperienced player. I have gotten back into AA only recently(about when I joined this forum). I currently only have the 1941 stand alone version. I am asking for AA anniversary edition for my birthday.

• Topmat wrote:

Hey, I have played numerous games and the allies lose every time. I am asking what the allies can do without changing rules or implementing a bid. I haven’t been able to figure out how to win. (I guess i need to sharpen up my strategy skills.)

I’m new to the game, too, but I managed to win both my games when I played Allies, so I know it’s possible.

I know that the classic AA game plays much slower, and has different tactics; I’m not familiar with it, so I’ve developed different methods of coordinating the Allied forces.

The USA is a powerhouse with its ability to pump out a battleship per turn; while Japan has a pretty dominant navy to start the game, this can turn very quickly…however, battleships deployed in the Atlantic can really seal the deal for you early (in conjunction with the strong British naval presence). If you can wipe out the Kriegsmarine (or drive them off) in the first couple turns, and can maintain at least one or two British warships to guard the Strait of Gibraltar, you can use your eastern transport to take North Africa, just like Patton did, and set up a little caravan route into Italy. I like to park a U.S. bomber or two in Morocco and fly sorties into Europe to cover landing parties and wreak general havoc. Assuming you can hold the Caucasus, the UK can do the same using the transport off the coast of Quebec or one from the Indian ocean…hey, when you control the Suez Canal, make use of it!

The Pacific theater is a little different because, while the USA provides the intimidation factor (all those warships), it’s the UK and USSR you need to really cut the legs off of Japan. As soon as you can spare the armor, send a couple Soviet tanks east to start taking out Japan’s assets; losing Coastal China and Manchuria cost Japan half its initial resources. Then, in the south seas, you need to keep Japan from taking easy marks like Borneo and the East Indies, and that’s all about those factories in Australia and India making troops to ferry to potential IPC spots. The goal is to starve the Japanese navy so that they A) cannot replace ships lost in battle with US warships, and B) have no resources for mounting an invasion campaign into North America. It’s okay to let Japan take the occasional island…or even invade Alaska!..so long as you blow up their transport and then bomb them into scrap. Soon enough they’ll be huddled on their island while Russia uses newfound income to create troops and tanks on the eastern front, eventually rolling into Western Russia as a red tide.

Normandy is really just an afterthought.
    8-)

• Interesting Black. Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your games are pretty free wheeling and a lot of fun.

• One thing that really makes 1941 a fun, casual game is how easily “crazy” things can happen.  There is never a need to surrender either.  The quick play time and small number or dice allow for total annihilation and everlasting hope (almost.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m