• I asked this on the Harris Games forum as well, but thought I may get an answer here sooner.

Just got the game over Christmas and am loving it so far, but just need a little clarification about the US’s early turns. I realize they are neutral and can’t attack until turn 4, but does this mean they can spend money and stockpile units for three turns (unless Germany attacks of course)? Thats 60 IPC’s total to spend without much threat of losing units. Or is the US turn “skipped” until round 4?

It just seems a little odd for a “neutral” power to be building up for war.

• Welcome SgtSchultz. I  agree that it seems odd.
    It is, however, the case that the US does collect income.
    Enjoy your new game.

• It didn’t really happen in WWI, but during the opening years of WWII the US did very much build itself up militarily while it was still neutral, and it also cranked up its industrial output of military materials – partly in anticipation of possible US involvement in the war, and partly to serve as an arsenal for the powers at war to which it was sympathetic.

• @CWO:

It didn’t really happen in WWI, but during the opening years of WWII the US did very much build itself up militarily while it was still neutral, and it also cranked up its industrial output of military materials – partly in anticipation of possible US involvement in the war, and partly to serve as an arsenal for the powers at war to which it was sympathetic.

Thanks for the replies.

Makes sense.  Makes me think it’s probably best for Germany to attack right away to prevent a large naval build up.  Hmmm…

• I’ve never tried that myself, but my feeling is Germany has enough to worry about without bringing the US into the war early. In the games I’ve played, if the CP aren’t well on their way to eliminating Russia before the Americans show up, the war is lost.

• Agree on US production value, but the beauty of the game is making tweaks here and there…

US War Time Production: To show the isolationist attitude of the US towards the war in Europe, change the 20 IPC value of USA to a variable amount.  With increasing provocations from Germany on US interests before entering the war, the calculation includes an increase for each turn.
    The variable calculation is; 8 + Tn + 2d6, where Tn = turn #.  At point where US enters the war, the latest calculated IPC count of US will be fixed for USA going forward.  (US can hold until after turn 4 to declare war in an effort to possibly improve the IPC value).

• I think the rule should be that if you’re not a war, you don’t have a turn. Period.

• @Carolina:

US War Time Production: To show the isolationist attitude of the US towards the war in Europe, change the 20 IPC value of USA to a variable amount.  With increasing provocations from Germany on US interests before entering the war, the calculation includes an increase for each turn.
    The variable calculation is; 8 + Tn + 2d6, where Tn = turn #.  At point where US enters the war, the latest calculated IPC count of US will be fixed for USA going forward.  (US can hold until after turn 4 to declare war in an effort to possibly improve the IPC value).

Interesting house rule, my group will try something like that next time we play.

I’ve always been confused about production speed in all flavors of A&A games … it takes 1 turn to build infantry and 1 turn to build aircraft carriers and battleships … seems like it should take longer for the USA to build a navy than it does for the Russian Empire to draft conscripts.

• Another variation for US IPC calc would be 3Tn + 2d6 (ie. 3 times turn # + 2d6), this gives US more incentive to delay entering the war.  For turn 4, the calc ends up being the same as 8+2Tn+2d6 rule.

Also, on your point about capital ships - we use a 2 turn build rule.  Where on TURN X you can put down anything from 1/2 to full price, with balance due on TURN Y you put into action (which doesn’t need to be the next turn).  Exception: You can purchase and deploy capital ships on TURN 1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m