League General Discussion Thread

• @ksmckay perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the problem was that the “default” game of for the playoffs was out of line with what a majority of people prefer to play (which is solved by making the default game the one that most people play). What I’m saying is that one championship is preferable to three, even if you maintain separate statistics for each version of the game.

• @regularkid said in League General Discussion Thread:

@ksmckay perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the problem was that the “default” game of for the playoffs was out of line with what a majority of people prefer to play (which is solved by making the default game the one that most people play). What I’m saying is that one championship is preferable to three, even if you maintain separate statistics for each version of the game.

I agree one championship is preferable, and we’ve stuck to that for years, but 2021 needs to be the year of 3 championships. I can keep the prestige - perhaps I could note in the annals how many ranked players there were during the year for that version, or how many games total were played by version, near the champion’s name. That’s just off the top of my head - point being, there are ways to not make the champion of a small pond look equal to the champion of the ocean

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Actually, I think we do have the players and the interest to support a separate playoff by version

I gotcha. Well as the keeper of the books, you’'d probably be in a better position to judge that sort of thing. I have my doubts.

• '19

@regularkid said in League General Discussion Thread:

@ksmckay perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the problem was that the “default” game of for the playoffs was out of line with what a majority of people prefer to play (which is solved by making the default game the one that most people play). What I’m saying is that one championship is preferable to three, even if you maintain separate statistics for each version of the game.

Its been a long discussion and while I personally agree with that approach, there are dissenting arguments with merit and so the latest proposal by gamerman is a compromise.

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

point being, there are ways to not make the champion of a small pond look equal to the champion of the ocean

Well its not so much about that. Rather, I think playoffs generate excitement, in part, because people want the singular title of “league champion.” One big, end of year event for the entire community. Rather than balkanized proceedings.

• '19

@gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

point being, there are ways to not make the champion of a small pond look equal to the champion of the ocean

Well its not so much about that. Rather, I think playoffs generate excitement, in part, because people want the singular title of “league champion.” One big, end of year event for the entire community. Rather than balkanized proceedings.

Unfortunately you would have to read through a couple hundred posts to get a picture of the entire argument. The new proposal does its best to include every potential player’s desires whereas what you are saying (similar to what we have now) excludes some preferences. If we just changed to BM default, then that would exclude people who prefer OOB (even if thats a small number in this community, it still excludes them).

• '20

Is the initial maximum games allowed vs one opponent still 3 with these playoff-qualification tweaks?

• I see what you mean.

@ksmckay said in League General Discussion Thread:

@gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Unfortunately you would have to read through a couple hundred posts to get a picture of the entire argument. The new proposal does its best to include every potential player’s desires whereas what you are saying (similar to what we have now) excludes some preferences. If we just changed to BM default, then that would exclude people who prefer OOB (even if thats a small number in this community, it still excludes them).

• '22 '16

Good discussion. One that needed to be had. But on a side note the more playoffs there are the longer it will take to crown a champ. The playoffs already take quite some time. And being crowned a 2021 champion when its almost 2023 loses a little something in my book.

• '19

@majikforce said in League General Discussion Thread:

Good discussion. One that needed to be had. But on a side note the more playoffs there are the longer it will take to crown a champ. The playoffs already take quite some time. And being crowned a 2021 champion when its almost 2023 loses a little something in my book.

Dont think that makes any sense. Still a best of 8 which is no change from what we have now. Playoffs are usually over by middle of the year (3 games).

• @regularkid said in League General Discussion Thread:

Is there really enough interest to support separate playoffs for all three? I doubt it. Keeping the playoffs unified with a default map (probably the most played map from that year) prevents fracturing and ensures a robust pool of players. Also maintains the prestige of a single title of “league champion” rather than a bunch of mini titles that were contested by only a smattering of people.

Each game is different, but as others have state, the skillset you use to win is largely transferable between them–justifying a single title.

For this reason I support Gamerman’s proposal. Three separate standings. One end-of-year tourney.

3 standings, 1 play off?

then why do u need 3 standings at all?

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@amon-sul 3 standings, 3 playoffs

• @ksmckay said in League General Discussion Thread:

@majikforce said in League General Discussion Thread:

Dont think that makes any sense. Still a best of 8 which is no change from what we have now. Playoffs are usually over by middle of the year (3 games).

yeah, even if u participate in 2 or 3 play offs, u play ur games at the same time, and more or less with the same pace. so no time problem here

• '22 '16

@amon-sul @ksmckay Don’t necessarily agree especially if you are playing in one or more playoffs. I would tend to think it would be a slower pace. But only time will tell.

• '19 '17 '16

For the record, I am supportive of the idea of allowing a lower number of games played for OOB than BM. In the event that BM or P2V fall out of favour through the year they may need differing minimum numbers of relevant games played. We also need to clarify the default rule as BM4 (I would presume) for that playoff. P2V may change through the year so we probably need to decide how to handle that potential issue. OOB with a bid for allies is clear enough at present.

The idea that I do disagree with is OOB games counting toward your BM minimum and all ways around.

• I really enjoy reading this discussion and am a huge fan of it. We are going in the right direction and it is neccessary to make a change. But i am also a fan of K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple as Someonewhowantstoplayget’stoplayit.

I would also recommend to Design a League badge wich is for free but makes the Player recognizable about his prefrence he has in game versions he plays.
    Infantry man for OoB, Mech for BM and Arty for PtV. Also a Tank for a multi Player who plays all three versions.
    This makes it easier to find the peoole with the same game style and also helps maybe Gamerman01 to distinguish us in our preferences.
    My few cents on All that for now.

• @aequitas-et-veritas Cool idea with the badges :)

• @aequitas-et-veritas

If we use badges to represent our interest, then we need to have badge for each possible combination. For example, some players (including myself) might be interested in BM and PoV but not OoB. My recommendation would be:
    Infantry = OoB
    Arty = BM
    Tank = PtV
    Sub = OoB + BM
    DD = OoB + PtV
    CA = BM + PtV
    BB = OoB + BM + PtV

• @artofwar1947 said in League General Discussion Thread:

@aequitas-et-veritas

If we use badges to represent our interest, then we need to have badge for each possible combination.

Think that brings on unnecessary many combinations.

I’d prefer AqeV’s suggestion where for instance a tank represents all three variants. For those who prefer only two versions it’s ok to have two badges.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m