League General Discussion Thread

• does an enemy sub stop u from picking up with a transport ?

• '19 '17

@dawgoneit No, you can pick up in a zone with an enemy sub.

• '19 '17 '16

I’d like to point out that no one else has voted for fixing the sub combat bugs in 1.10 of Triple-A on this thread: https://forums.triplea-game.org/topic/1032/most-wanted-features-changes/20?page=1

Do people not want it fixed?

• '19 '17 '16

Once 1.10 is released, it will be too late to add it later.

• @simon33 don’t even know what you are talking about.
    Can you please explain?

• '19 '17 '16

Well the bugs where:
    a) You have a destroyer but you still have to assign hits from enemy subs before seeing the other dice
    b) You don’t have a destroyer, do have a sub and have to assign hits from enemy aircraft before seeing dice from surface ships.

Causes issues occasionally. More to the point, it’s wrong.

Surprises me that no one has bothered to ask for these bugs to be fixed. The fix will not be backwards compatible.

• Does the 2018 playoff matches counts both in the playoff and the 2019 season? Seems like they should not but in the 2019 standing the 2018 playoff games are counted in
    Best regards
    MrCunego

• @mrcunego I’m pretty sure that they do. I’m not sure on the reason although I don’t mind, that they are included.

• '19 '17 '16

@simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Well the bugs where:
    a) You have a destroyer but you still have to assign hits from enemy subs before seeing the other dice
    b) The enemy doesn’t have a destroyer, you have a sub and have to assign hits from enemy aircraft before seeing dice from surface ships.
    Realised I got point (b) the wrong way around.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19

The link to the results spreadsheet opens to year tab 2017, leading reader to think its outdated. Use < tab at bottom to move to 2019. Spreadsheet should be saved to 2019. Also, 2019 tab headings not updated, still say 2018. cells 3G, 3H and 3i need to read 2019, nit 2018

• '19 '17 '16

Not just a league question but why does everyone hate the combat move first idea? Ever time I have to reload because I’ve put in the wrong buy I find it really irritating. Enough that it really reduces my enjoyment of playing the game. Why do you players like this idea? In 1.10, you’ll be able to post from the Purchase phase so will that resolve the annoyances with this idea?

Or is it the repair, plunder or CV purchase bugs? I’m guessing that it’s none of those things. Just that it’s different to the way it’s always been.

• @simon33 i personally don’t hate CMF in G40 BM games, it is just that i get confused with non CMF games i play at the same time.

I think i have to play more CMF games before i can really tell. Have maybe ten games played so far.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@simon33 Nothing wrong with combat moves first

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Not just a league question but why does everyone hate the combat move first idea? Ever time I have to reload because I’ve put in the wrong buy I find it really irritating. Enough that it really reduces my enjoyment of playing the game. Why do you players like this idea? In 1.10, you’ll be able to post from the Purchase phase so will that resolve the annoyances with this idea?

Or is it the repair, plunder or CV purchase bugs? I’m guessing that it’s none of those things. Just that it’s different to the way it’s always been.

i like the idea my self.

• '22 '16

@simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

For me its two reasons. First you are changing the order of the turn phases and thus rearranging the game dynamics. (which I assume the game designer intended to be a certain way, but I could be wrong) I always look at these types of things as if it were a game board set up between two people. With CM first it seems like a dry run at your turn and then you purchase to fill in the holes. Which when sitting at a game board seems quite contrary to the rules and the specific turn phases. I guess I’m concrete and a rules stickler, I am pretty adamant about following the turn phases proprely and not mixing things around. (Always got in arguments with my bro when he would complete his turn in one continuous flow instead of following the run phases lol) For me this applies only to the board game set up. I am much more relaxed when it come to online play.
    And secondly I just don’t think that way when playing the game. I have a specific mental routine for each turn. I can see the attacks I want to make. I see what things I want to accomplish in 2-3 turns. I plan for possible opponent moves and I buy accordingly. It gets me all confused if I start moving peices around to attack first. Just my style. I have no problem playing someone online who wants to CM first as long as I can play traditional. As for a face to face that would be a different story…

• '19 '18

@simon33

Philosophically I think that everything in the turn order prior to the active player declaring their combat moves to be over should all be revisable.

During this portion there is zero new information available to the active player. By arbitrarily forcing them to decide purchases first you just force them to do their combat moves in their head for live games and in a separate Triple A file for online play. Both of which just tend to waste time rather than add any game dynamic.

I think the ideal scenario would be for the buy window to be available for revisions until the player clicks the button to lock in their combat moves. That way they can enter the purchases either before or after combat moves depending on personal preference.

• '19 '17 '16

Exactly right @Tizkit . Unfortunately the buy button can’t be made available in the move phase very easily at present.

• '22 '16

@Tizkit said in League General Discussion Thread:

@simon33

Philosophically I think that everything in the turn order prior to the active player declaring their combat moves to be over should all be revisable.

During this portion there is zero new information available to the active player. By arbitrarily forcing them to decide purchases first you just force them to do their combat moves in their head for live games and in a separate Triple A file for online play. Both of which just tend to waste time rather than add any game dynamic.

I think the ideal scenario would be for the buy window to be available for revisions until the player clicks the button to lock in their combat moves. That way they can enter the purchases either before or after combat moves depending on personal preference.

I disagree. Why should it be revisable? The game designer took the time to break up the turn to have different phases of the the turn. I don’t think that was done without thought. There might be a purpose to buying units first. Changing the time when you buy units in a game can have great effect. (see castle risk vs risk) Not saying its that great of a change in A&A. I just don’t understand the need to do it. It can also have an effect as to remove the “whoops” moment. Maybe you purchased a wrong unit or one too many. Maybe you missed how far a unit could travel. Doing combat first may help to minimize those mistakes but for me thats part of the game. It gives it flavor. Maybe that was by design? I enjoy trying to work through my mistakes and see if I have prepared accordingly. With combat first movement why not just battle calc everything first as well? And then buy. Take all the risk out. Heck go LL and be really safe. I prefer the mental element of buy first. I’m just wired that way. Game on!

• @majikforce i do agree with majikforce as far as the rules go but i do like the idea of doing the combat move first. as far as doing it with league play might not be the rite thing because of the rules. but that’s just my thought.

• '19 '17 '16

Interesting viewpoint @majikforce . I have a bit of a problem with it for the purposes of League play and play by forum in general because nothing stops you from just quitting and reloading then putting in a different buy, so long as you haven’t rolled any dice.

Nothing actually stops you from putting everything into the battle calc with purchase first. You just have to do a bit more leg work when playing online.

Personally I find this all a significant reduction in the fun in playing. Interesting that you find that part fun.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m