League General Discussion Thread

• @trulpen said in League General Discussion Thread:

Just take our game in the tourney as an example. We got a huge bid of 56 for Allies and I’ve thought on several occasions that the Allies were crushing it (for instance getting an early firm hold of both Spain and Scandinavia), but Axis still seem to be winning. I’m amazed.

Actually you guys were winning early on. However, you made two mistakes which is going to cost you the game; barring some unlikely eventuality. 1) You let us take Moscow. And I say let because you could have stopped us and chose not to. 2) You went for the Neutrals too early. Yes, you ended up with Scandinavia and Spain but it cost so much time and effort that it allowed Japan to bounce back from some pretty impressive Allied play in the Pacific.

• I think a playoff tourneys for each version is a good idea and it also makes sense to keep track of games played in the different versions (at least if that is easy for the moderator).

I do think one ranking (regardless of games played) is better for the reasons Oysteillo and Ksmkay have suggested.

I’d also prefer it if one can only enter only one of the tourneys at the end of the year. I think that would encourage more participation and also encourage players to play more PTV and especially OOB as those become other routes to the end of year playoffs.

@gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

OK, great! Great discussion, I mean.

Not a bad idea to have separate playoff brackets for separate versions - not a bad idea at all - but I think I have a better one!

It’s no trouble for me to maintain 3 different standings sheets for 2021. Therefore, I’m confident the majority will agree that for 2021 we will still have 1 league together (shared results thread, shared discussion thread, shared everything) but with a separate standings and PPG calculation by version, which is actually what I was saying before I read the last 2-3 hours worth of posts. There will be a league champion playoff for each of the 3 different versions.

Again, this is a proposal and you all can shoot it down (with radar enabled AA guns), but surely this will be the most popular idea, no?? :)

• I prefer the original offer/suggestion from @gamerman01.

When contemplating how L21 would play out for me comparing the two alternatives, I’m seeing a scenario when I play only BM3 all through the season and another where I play mainly BM3, but also some games of P2V and even OOB if I’m not too disgusted.

I believe the latter alternative actually is the more fun one. Atleast for me. Variation is beneficial.

• '19

@trulpen

I dont see how your response addresses one ranking vs three rankings.

You can still do whatever you want, are you saying you would never play the other versions because you are worried about your BM3 rank being affected by a handful of games in the other version? If so then why bother playing league games with those versions in the first place? Regular non-league games are an easy way to experience variation without affecting your ranking.

• i see why one ranking - 3 play offs is a good idea.

we all have personal lives, and it will be hard to play many games. And with only 3 games played its too little for getting a proper rating.

All though in ideal scenario i would prefer 3 standings, realisticly 1 standing for all games is ok, since we dont have information that somebody is good in one version and sucks in the other.

But i disagree with the idea that one cant play more then 1 play off. why not? its like in tennis, u can play both singles and doubles. and since we have 2nd and 3rd playoff in BM this year, we can have it in PTV and BM next year, whats the problem?

and 1 standings for all games also helps our Gamerman, otherwise he will have too much job

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I encourage everyone to contribute in the 2021 support drive!

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/36303/axis-allies-org-2021-support-drive/3?_=1609873977428

If you play, it is nice to contribute to the site I think. After all it is not free to maintain this service that all of us like!

• @amon-sul I doubt it will be much of an issue since i expect most people at the highest level will focus on one or the other in any case so there should be a lot of room for others to join in even if a couple of people try their hand at two or more tourneys. But I think it is a bit more exciting to play for 1st then for 9th and this gives more people the opportunity to do so.

Also while I think we need to have only one ranking for all variants for it to be meaningful, and I also think the threshold to join a tourney should be low (8 games in total and 3-4 of the variant) I can see situations arising where a top oob player is kept out of that tourney because someone else who has a higher ranking due to their play in another variant decides to play in two.

Also, I’ll just note that right now, the league is much more competitive than it was a year ago. There are players in each of the three tourneys this year that played in the top 8 last year. That may change when covid passes, but right now we can have a pretty high level of competition with the top 24.

• '19 '17 '16

I don’t think you should be able to play in the playoffs with less than 8 games played of that particular variant.

• Thank you again for all inputs - I read everything and each person’s view was helpful.

Here’s what’s looking like a great idea to me now. 3 separate standings, one for each of the 3 most popular versions of G40 (I’m not concerned with variations within each version, for example 14 IPC bombers in BM - BM will be BM)

A 4th, overall standings sheet that is a composite of the other 3. If you’re 3-0 in P2V and 0-1 in BM you would be 3-1 overall.

How many games are required to be in each of the 3 different versions’ playoffs will not be determined this month because we don’t know how much each will be played. We could establish a date, like July 1 possibly, when the # of games to participate in end of year playoff will be set, because that will leave plenty of time to prepare for everyone (to get the # of games you need) and also plenty of time (first half of year) to see what a realistic # of games requirement will be

I’m thinking the seeding/ranking for playoffs (2021) would be determined by your PPG in that version, not the overall. That way you can try another version, like P2V, and lose without wrecking your great BM record.

• @giallo said in League General Discussion Thread:

@giallo said in League General Discussion Thread:

Can we already start our leauge game?

I mean play-off game ofcourse

AeV told you right - all 2020 playoff games can go

• '19 '17 '16

I’m thinking the seeding/ranking for playoffs (2021) would be determined by your PPG in that version, not the overall. That way you can try another version, like P2V, and lose without wrecking your great BM record.

Completely agree with this. Sounds like a pain to administer the 4 sheets though.

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Completely agree with this. Sounds like a pain to administer the 4 sheets though.

I’ll find out if it is, but I don’t think it will be as bad as it sounds, thank you man

• @gamerman01 The Server or the game right now is having an issue with dl the games to the Forum. However, you are able to start the game threat and/or continune with your ongoing games via email for the moment. DJensen is on it!

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Thank you again for all inputs - I read everything and each person’s view was helpful.

Here’s what’s looking like a great idea to me now. 3 separate standings, one for each of the 3 most popular versions of G40 (I’m not concerned with variations within each version, for example 14 IPC bombers in BM - BM will be BM)

A 4th, overall standings sheet that is a composite of the other 3. If you’re 3-0 in P2V and 0-1 in BM you would be 3-1 overall.

How many games are required to be in each of the 3 different versions’ playoffs will not be determined this month because we don’t know how much each will be played. We could establish a date, like July 1 possibly, when the # of games to participate in end of year playoff will be set, because that will leave plenty of time to prepare for everyone (to get the # of games you need) and also plenty of time (first half of year) to see what a realistic # of games requirement will be

Thanks, gamer! You said it all.

• @aequitas-et-veritas said in League General Discussion Thread:

@gamerman01 The Server or the game right now is having an issue with dl the games to the Forum. However, you are able to start the game threat and/or continune with your ongoing games via email for the moment. DJensen is on it!

Works with copy&paste of the game history along with uploading the game-file in a post here.

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Here’s what’s looking like a great idea to me now. 3 separate standings, one for each of the 3 most popular versions of G40

That was how they did it at Axis and Allies Members Club (AAMC) when I played there. I think the site is closed now. Does not appear to be any new posts since 2016 however it still seems to be up and I was able to log in and pull these screenshots. Weird. As you can see we had a different ranking for each game version and then a summary page with all of the records in one spot.

What is also interesting, at least to me, is I was still on the top of the Leaderboards in each game version even though I stopped playing there in 2011. :)

a95c763b-80ae-4001-92dc-c6cab1df1ad0-image.png

4f9bf3e1-9dcb-46bd-89cb-8f02d0a0900c-image.png

8da07c4e-0214-4912-951d-6e0f73c5c270-image.png

15f4af26-002b-4d6d-b025-bfb118646d5f-image.png

d9505a32-43bb-4fc2-898b-26c77333d3d2-image.png

470b9212-ff73-4c38-9d68-c6b000e77ecf-image.png
    b746897b-5ebc-403c-8be9-e685c58128af-image.png

• @trulpen said in League General Discussion Thread:

@aequitas-et-veritas said in League General Discussion Thread:

@gamerman01 The Server or the game right now is having an issue with dl the games to the Forum. However, you are able to start the game threat and/or continune with your ongoing games via email for the moment. DJensen is on it!

Works with copy&paste of the game history along with uploading the game-file in a post here.

Copy Paste never worked for me. It doesn’t le me highlight all, only a line and even the line I cannot coppy, nor paste. But will try to post the savegame file manually now. Thank you.

• Not even with ctrl+c and ctrl+p? That’s weird. Well, the important thing is the save. Saves the day.

• @trulpen I figured it out what you meant. It is at the end were you can click on View History and it is letting you copy and paste it. What I was allways thinking was the History log on the Left side wich you can’t copy nor paste.

Thank you again, it works!

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

We’re only 5 days into the next league year, so I will let the discussion play out a few more days before designing the standings spreadsheets and recording the games from the first week. You all can count on having a separate standings for OOB, BM, and P2V starting January 1. You can also safely anticipate a separate playoff for each version a year from now! The details will be firmed up later, like how many games to qualify.

Please allow me time to read and consider more discussion that comes in the next several days before firming up the 2021 league rules, and allow me some time before I “publish” the standings, thanks for your understanding

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m