League General Discussion Thread

• '19 '17 '16

For the record, I am supportive of the idea of allowing a lower number of games played for OOB than BM. In the event that BM or P2V fall out of favour through the year they may need differing minimum numbers of relevant games played. We also need to clarify the default rule as BM4 (I would presume) for that playoff. P2V may change through the year so we probably need to decide how to handle that potential issue. OOB with a bid for allies is clear enough at present.

The idea that I do disagree with is OOB games counting toward your BM minimum and all ways around.

• I really enjoy reading this discussion and am a huge fan of it. We are going in the right direction and it is neccessary to make a change. But i am also a fan of K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple as Someonewhowantstoplayget’stoplayit.

I would also recommend to Design a League badge wich is for free but makes the Player recognizable about his prefrence he has in game versions he plays.
    Infantry man for OoB, Mech for BM and Arty for PtV. Also a Tank for a multi Player who plays all three versions.
    This makes it easier to find the peoole with the same game style and also helps maybe Gamerman01 to distinguish us in our preferences.
    My few cents on All that for now.

• @aequitas-et-veritas Cool idea with the badges :)

• @aequitas-et-veritas

If we use badges to represent our interest, then we need to have badge for each possible combination. For example, some players (including myself) might be interested in BM and PoV but not OoB. My recommendation would be:
    Infantry = OoB
    Arty = BM
    Tank = PtV
    Sub = OoB + BM
    DD = OoB + PtV
    CA = BM + PtV
    BB = OoB + BM + PtV

• @artofwar1947 said in League General Discussion Thread:

@aequitas-et-veritas

If we use badges to represent our interest, then we need to have badge for each possible combination.

Think that brings on unnecessary many combinations.

I’d prefer AqeV’s suggestion where for instance a tank represents all three variants. For those who prefer only two versions it’s ok to have two badges.

• @trulpen

That works.

• Saw a post about bombers costing 14 points somewhere back in this thread I think. Is this official? Where is it posted and what is its status? Is it BM or PTV?

• '20

@fmerwinrommel it’s the latest BM3 update

• Good news - rankings updated by version for 2021!
    Overall combined ranking sheet still to be set up later - it’s not needed yet anyway.
    The changes will be formalized in the league rules at some point. Until then, if you have any questions just PM me or ask on the boards and someone who’s read my posts may be able to help you.

I will use the same method as before, for establishing early rankings. That is, if you didn’t finish 3 games last year, I will find your most recent “firm” ranking (year where you had 3 games completed) and subtract 1 tier. If you completed 3 games last year, your tier carries over to this year. If you’ve never completed 3 games in a year or you were tier 3 last year, you start this year tier 3.

When you reach 3 games in a version in 2021, your tier will change to reflect your 2021 PPG rather than your previous year’s tier. There are a few exceptions, where I make a judgment call that does not follow these rules, in the spirit of making the rankings more accurate (generally when a player is clearly better than tier 3 but according to these rules because of few games played would otherwise be assigned tier 3)

• @colt45554 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Is the initial maximum games allowed vs one opponent still 3 with these playoff-qualification tweaks?

Great question - I hadn’t considered that yet. Since we will soon have a combined standings, it will be easy for me to monitor.

In other words, if you beat someone at PTV once and also BM once, no more wins against that same opponent will count until you both reach 10 games total played. (Best of 3 game series) Once you both have reached 10 games total (all versions) that limit is expanded to best of 5 (first to 3 wins across all versions)

I could be persuaded to adjust the limits against another individual player, but we have used these limits for many years with little protest. I think across all 3 versions as illustrated above is the logical continuation of this rule - otherwise, you could play 9 games against the same player before going to anyone else (a best of 3 series in all 3 versions, potentially)

Thanks for that question - I need to remember to address that in the written rules when I get to them.

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

For the record, I am supportive of the idea of allowing a lower number of games played for OOB than BM. In the event that BM or P2V fall out of favour through the year they may need differing minimum numbers of relevant games played. We also need to clarify the default rule as BM4 (I would presume) for that playoff. P2V may change through the year so we probably need to decide how to handle that potential issue. OOB with a bid for allies is clear enough at present.

The idea that I do disagree with is OOB games counting toward your BM minimum and all ways around.

Thanks Simon, I should probably post my thoughts on this again. It looks like it will be an 8 game minimum for the league champion (top bracket) for BM in 2021, but we can re-assess this mid-year (allowing plenty of months for everyone to adjust). Will probably be a lower minimum (for the league champion in that version, top bracket) for PTV and OOB, but for all versions we can look at the number of completed games part-way through 2021 when we will be better able to agree on a proper minimum. 3 game minimum will stand for being able to participate in each version’s playoffs (but 3 will not be sufficient for the top bracket in any version unless participation in one version is much lower than we would anticipate at this time)

And I am also of the opinion that games played in one version will not help you qualify for a playoff in a different version at all.

• '15 '14

Is there any problem with https://triplea-game.org/download/ ?

I am trying to download the latest version of the client there but the download is unbearably slow and then actually stops after a few megabytes. I checked my internet and the connection was fine.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there an alternative source to download the latest version?

• '15 '14

But sure if relevant, but I am downloading from Germany.

• '19 '17 '16

Think I had the same problem but eventually got it to work.

• '17

Interesting start to the playoffs … I think the Allies (Ghostglider, trulpen, JDOW) are looking strong in the G40 matches.

I don’t know enough to judge the PTV game between Adams514 and regularkid.

• '19 '17 '16

@wheatbeer said in League General Discussion Thread:

Interesting start to the playoffs … I think the Allies (Ghostglider, trulpen, JDOW) are looking strong in the G40 matches.

I don’t know enough to judge the PTV game between Adams514 and regularkid.

In spite of the possible loss of Sydney, I would still be allies in that game at present.

• @wheatbeer said in League General Discussion Thread:

Sorry, I can’t exactly say why, but for some reason I feel like a complete hack as Allies, so don’t put your bets on me, folks.

• 2023 '22

@trulpen Well, you are playing one of top 3 players in the league so who wouldn’t lose :D

• @pejon_88 said in League General Discussion Thread:

@trulpen Well, you are playing one of top 3 players in the league so who wouldn’t lose :D

Maybe you?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m