League General Discussion Thread

• TIME TO SIGN UP for 2020 playoffs IF you want to participate. Playoffs are entirely optional, even the top one. But NO ONE is in the playoffs unless they tell me that they want to be in, not even the #1 ranked player! Same as every year.

To sign up, please private message me in A&A.org.

• '15 '14

In!

Pm sent!

• Will there be a 2nd playoff?

• @Amon-Sul I believe that as long as there is enough interest (and there certainly seems to be) there can be a 2nd and even 3rd and 4th playoffs.

• We have 18 or 19 signed up so it’s looking like a 2nd and a 3rd probably -

That said, I’m here to announce that I’m leaving the signup period open a bit longer (Through Sunday seems about right)
    My apologies - I was a bit late announcing the signup period, and I am concerned that some might miss the boat as a result of my poor timing.

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

We have 18 or 19 signed up so it’s looking like a 2nd and a 3rd probably -

That said, I’m here to announce that I’m leaving the signup period open a bit longer (Through Sunday seems about right)
    My apologies - I was a bit late announcing the signup period, and I am concerned that some might miss the boat as a result of my poor timing.

So we ll soon have a play off bracket written in the Excel table?

• @Amon-Sul correct!

• '21 '20

Is there a reason we don’t have a playoff with 16 people or 24 people in one big bracket? I could see it taking a long time, but besides that i dont see a reason why not.

• @WindowWasher i think this is something that should be considered. I think the main reason is, sometimes these games takes FOREVER. What is the “record” to decide a new champ? 1.5 years? 2 years? Could be more stict on time and “always” honor the 72h limit

But i would vote yes to a 16 bracket for the championship. I think it is a good suggestion and will also create more interest.

• '21 '20

also, I feel like 3 moves a week should be the limit, I’m able to play only friday-sunday but I’m always on and respond usually immediately

• @oysteilo said in League General Discussion Thread:

@WindowWasher i think this is something that should be considered. I think the main reason is, sometimes these games takes FOREVER. What is the “record” to decide a new champ? 1.5 years? 2 years? Could be more stict on time and “always” honor the 72h limit

But i would vote yes to a 16 bracket for the championship. I think it is a good suggestion and will also create more interest.

24 is weird

16 is nice, since u have then 8, 4 , 2

• '19 '17 '16

@WindowWasher said in League General Discussion Thread:

Is there a reason we don’t have a playoff with 16 people or 24 people in one big bracket? I could see it taking a long time, but besides that i dont see a reason why not.

I think 8 is fine. If it was 16 you could knock out the top player from the 16th spot with some good dice.

Regarding the 72hr limit, some feel it should be longer for the championship games.

• 2023 '20

Not sure if this is legal, but could there be a betting pool for the bracket? Maybe 50% goes to winning bracket picks, and 50% to A&A.org? Just asking as I know the fund drive for 2021 has started.

• Reminder today is last day to sign up.
    I will make brackets tonight before I go to bed.
    I did authorize Ghost and ksmckay to start today because there is a 100% chance they will be paired tonight and because I was asked - otherwise, please wait until tomorrow to start because the signup period is still open today.

Bracket of 8 because it’s 3 games to win it all and that often takes a year or more as someone else said. Also, because if the bracket is 16 or more, you have quite a bit more disparity in skill and experience levels. Tighter brackets means more compelling, competitive games.

We have about 16 beyond the top 8 signed up, so that’s good news - we should be able to have 2 more full brackets.

• Mainah, at first that sounds very exciting and fun, but thinking about it a bit, there’s a big problem with that. If there’s money on games, there’s an incentive for people to try and help a player in the tournament to make better decisions, and also an incentive to try and sabotage a player (maybe by giving suggestions to make poor decisions disguised as clever ones).

Would mess with the integrity of the games, so as league moderator I’d have to say no.

• I agree that the introduction of monetary aspects would likely corrupt the league. Money makes the world go round while pushing morals down the drain.

• 2023 '20

I see your point. Hadn’t thought that far- actually, probably wouldn’t have, just not how i think about things - just was thinking of the fundraising possibility. Saw the word “bracket” and march madness immediately came to mind.
    Money really does ruin things. :disappointed:

• I think I’ve got all signups - forming brackets now

• OK, we have 3 full brackets of 8 which is sweet.
    We do have 25 players and not 24 total, so there needs to be 1 play-in game unless someone in the 3rd bracket bows out or something. We’ve done this before (a play-in game)… I just ask that the players in the play-in game, in this case Dawgoneit and Sovietishcat - try to play a faster game so that the rest of the bracket isn’t held up long.

I think it’s exciting to have playoff matchups once a year set by ranking, because the rest of the year players choose who they are going to play. Now you’re matched up with someone, so several players will be playing someone they wouldn’t normally play, and no doubt some will discover a new person/player that they enjoy. Of course it’s a double-edged sword, so as always, if differences between players are interfering with gameplay, I’m here to try to help. I’m actually not aware of any conflicts in playoff games over the years - incredibly. We must have a quite reasonable and friendly community for the most part.

• Couple interesting things from forming the bracket that I noticed. Bobba and Wiz are matched up with the exact same seeds as a year ago. Hope that’s not annoying, but that’s how it worked out again this year.

666 is the 6 seed. Hilarious.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m