• '18

Sorry I bet this is already on the forum somewhere but the Google Search bar is not working, something about an API…

I saw Variance in a YouTube video move from Scotland to Northern Ireland in TripleA (G40) but I cannot find this anywhere in the rule book. I was always of the understanding that this is an island and only accessible by transport?

• @Deiganator:

Sorry I bet this is already on the forum somewhere but the Google Search bar is not working, something about an API…

I saw Variance in a YouTube video move from Scotland to Northern Ireland in TripleA (G40) but I cannot find this anywhere in the rule book. I was always of the understanding that this is an island and only accessible by transport?

There is no such move, as Scotland and Northern Ireland are considered to be one territory. It is more obvious when you look at the (real) gameboard where Scotland and Northern Ireland are connected by the British roundel.

The TripleA-map lacks the visible connection, but Northern Ireland is coded as “Scotland” - you can prove that by moving the mouse over Northern Ireland while the “Territory”-tab is opened.

The move maybe was from Scotland to Eire/Ireland (Republic)?

HTH :-)

• '18

Yes that was the move.

Odd how they are connected, other similar island are not. I wonder why Ireland is different?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Deiganator:

Yes that was the move.

Odd how they are connected, other similar island are not. I wonder why Ireland is different?

I suppose it was done this way to clearly indicate that you don’t need a ship to move between Scotland and Eire, as they now share a land border.

• Some of the choices in G40 is very strange to me. As far as I know, there isn’t a land bridge between Northern Ireland to Scotland so you’d think you would need a ship to transfer men between the two, I am guessing Northern Ireland doesn’t “exist” I guess because they thought it would be easy for Germany to break UK London’s NO by taking it over, I have no idea why but I can not find any other logical reason for this.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Geographically speaking, it’s indeed an oddity. The straits between Gibraltar and Morocco, between Sicily and Southern Italy, and between Denmark and Sweden, are all narrower than Scotland to Northern Ireland, but they do require a transport for troops to cross them. Nowadays, there’s even a bridge between Denmark and Sweden.
    But I suppose that a separate “Northern Ireland” territory would clutter the A&A map too much in an already crowded region.

• I am also guessing it’s because Northern Ireland didn’t play a role in WWII other than being part of UK as a whole. I am willing to bet they argued that having Northern Ireland as it self would so mean that Wales has to be on its own.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m