• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Without even getting into anything else Solo features the worst cinematography of any Star Wars film, and it’s not even close.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@General:

Without even getting into anything else Solo features the worst cinematography of any Star Wars film, and it’s not even close.

I wanted to see it.  Should I just wait until it comes out on DVD?

• @Cmdr:

@General:

I wanted to see it.  Should I just wait until it comes out on DVD?

Will post after i saw it tonight if it is worth it.

• I really liked it. It was a niceley done add on to Star Wars about one Character.

My Top list of SW Spin Offs is:

#1 Rougue 1
    #2 Solo

Looking allready Forward to see Boba Fett!

About SW Ep 7-9 i am kinda done. 8 made 7 look better.
    I will take my time when 9 comes out and it will only be to see kinda the end to figure out wich path they wanted to follow aftr all.

Solo was kinda refreshing since they didn’t messed to much around with the original story, if i recall that correctly.

That is my comment for now, since i don’t want to spoil anything.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@General:

Since this comment conforms with my world-view, I second it.

• @aequitas:

I am going to watch Solo tonight,  don’t what is going to happen.

I was reading this thinking to myself, “What’s Solo?”

I probably would not even know what Star Wars is had it not infiltrated other markets.  My juvenile brain always summed it up as a cheesy yet brutal free-for-all in space about aliens, supernatural power, and technology.
      :|

I think I would like to keep my interpretation that way.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Got it.  So I will watch it on my TV at home, and not pay $17 for a ticket, popcorn and sit in a nasty theater.

• '17

For anyone who enjoyed the first Deadpool, I’d strongly recommend Deadpool 2.

I’d have to rewatch the original to say which is funnier … but Deadpool 2 has a much more interesting storyline.

• @Cmdr:

Got it.  So I will watch it on my TV at home, and not pay $17 for a ticket, popcorn and sit in a nasty theater.

I saw it over the weekend.  It was enjoyable, in a fast-moving popcorn movie way, and it certainly wasn’t dull, and frankly I liked it better than Episodes VII and VIII, but it tended to feel like empty calories.  The main problem I had with it, in contrast with Rogue One (which I liked more), is that there wasn’t a clear and compelling storyline that drove and unified the plot; the film felt more like a checklist of elements from Han Solo’s past, which were being dutifully checked off as the film progressed.  As a result, the film seems a bit unfocussed.

The fact that we already know (from the earlier movies) various things about Solo’s background also undercuts some of the suspense.  Without spoiling anything, here’s one example: About halfway through the film, we think we’re going to witness a major event in Solo’s life which we already knew about from the earlier films…but it deviates from what we were expecting in a critical way, and in fact it doesn’t have the expected outcome.  Since we know perfectly well that this event has to happen to Solo, it’s clear that at some point the film is going to revisit that event so that it can happen…and sure enough, that’s what happens near the end of the film.  The payoff only felt mildly satisfying because, even though we didn’t know for half of the film how it was going to happen, we did know it was going to happen somehow.  And when we finally get to that scene, the film drops a clear advance hint about how the events are going to unfold, which does in fact turn out to be the case.

Several elements of the movie are highly contrived, so before you watch the film it’s best to turn off some of the parts of your brain that control your higher reasoning functions.  For example, there’s a gigantic space monster that exists, for no discernible reason, near a spatial phenomenon so dangerous that no sensible ship captain (a category that excludes Han Solo, which is why he’s such a popular character) ever goes there.  Where the creature came from, and what it lives on, is never explained, and the creature is quickly dispatched once it’s served its plot purpose.  It reminded me of those stock monsters and enemy knights in Arthurian legends whose only purpose in life is to hang around a particular road or bridge and wait for the arrival of someone against whom they can fight, and who are hard to take seriously as a credible threat because they’re so arbitrary in nature.

One thing that really bugged me (again, without spoiling anything) is that there’s a “major reveal” towards the end of the film that I found utterly baffling because it involves someone who died long before the events of the film and yet who’s still alive in this one.  This made no sense to me.  Perhaps the answer is somewhere in one of the many Star Wars spin-off novels, but I haven’t read any of them, so this plot element completely lost me.

On the up side, most of the characters are reasonably well-drawn, with distinct personalities, and are interesting to watch.  In fact, one of the characters whose personality comes across the most vividly is a droid, L3, who in that respect is as good a scene-stealer as the droid K-2SO from Rogue One.

So all in all, I’m glad I saw it but I didn’t like it enough for me to plan getting it on DVD when it’s eventually released (unlike Rogue One, which I did like enough to buy subsequently).  Jen’s planned tactic to do the reverse with Solo is a completely valid alternative too.

@CWO:

One thing that really bugged me (again, without spoiling anything) is that there’s a “major reveal” towards the end of the film that I found utterly baffling because it involves someone who died long before the events of the film and yet who’s still alive in this one.  This made no sense to me.  Perhaps the answer is somewhere in one of the many Star Wars spin-off novels, but I haven’t read any of them, so this plot element completely lost me.

I believe there was some old EU stuff in which said character was “not really dead” as it appeared. Not sure of the backstory behind it all, but I am positive it was just because the character was too popular to have been shortsightedly killed off so soon. Doesn’t matter how far fetched the “back from the dead” story would be, it would elicit more interest.

• @LHoffman:

I believe there was some old EU stuff in which said character was “not really dead” as it appeared. Not sure of the backstory behind it all, but I am positive it was just because the character was too popular to have been shortsightedly killed off so soon. Doesn’t matter how far fetched the “back from the dead” story would be, it would elicit more interest.

Ah, I see. Thanks.  No wonder it made no sense to me; I’ve never read any of that expanded universe stuff.  In fairness, Star Wars isn’t the only sci-fi franchise that brings back dead characters; over in the Star Trek universe, for example, Denish Crosby once said that her best roles on the show were in the episodes that were made after they killed off her character.

@CWO:

Ah, I see. Thanks.   No wonder it made no sense to me; I’ve never read any of that expanded universe stuff.  In fairness, Star Wars isn’t the only sci-fi franchise that brings back dead characters; over in the Star Trek universe, for example, Denish Crosby once said that her best roles on the show were in the episodes that were made after they killed off her character.

Oh by far. Selah was a far more interesting character than Tasha Yar. To be fair, TNG season 1 wasn’t great and most of the characters were not well fleshed out… Geordi, Worf, Wesley all really stand out in addition to Yar. But once the show developed more and they were able to work in an interesting plot line for her, she worked out well. Even to the point of being a favorite character for video game spin offs.

They brought Spock back in ST:III, but that seemed like a planned story arc from ST:II. Although I think I remember Leonard Nimoy asking to be killed off at one point. Maybe they just all thought better of it after the fact.

They set the same thing up for Data in Nemesis, with him downloading what amounted to his memories into his long lost brother before going on his suicide mission. Unfortunately we never saw where it went from there.

Hell they killed Kirk and then brought him back all in the same film. (Edit: and then killed him again.)

Nothing is as bad as the Emperor in the Star Wars expanded universe. He was killed in RotJ and then brought back as a clone like, what, at least 3 times?

Can’t let the good established characters permanently die it seems. The universe just isn’t as good without them apparently. If you count the Death Star as a character (and I do), they did it at least twice with that (RotJ and FA). And even more times with the whole Superweapon concept.

• Incredibles 2 comes out today! Unfortunately I can’t see it today, but I have tickets for the 18th. I am taking my parents and my little sister. I can’t wait…

• All this talk about Star Wars has piqued my interest.  Would Solo be a good choice for me to watch even if its my first impression of the series?  I know that the movies are all connected yet not chronological or necessary to watch in order, but it this a good one for someone new to Star Wars?

• '20 '19 '18

@Charles:

All this talk about Star Wars has piqued my interest.  Would Solo be a good choice for me to watch even if its my first impression of the series?  I know that the movies are all connected yet not chronological or necessary to watch in order, but it this a good one for someone new to Star Wars?

The traditionalist in me says you should start with the original movie (Episode IV - A New Hope), but if you’re new to Star Wars, Solo is far from the worst choice. I found it much more entertaining than The Last Jedi or Episodes I-III.

• @Charles:

All this talk about Star Wars has piqued my interest.  Would Solo be a good choice for me to watch even if its my first impression of the series?  I know that the movies are all connected yet not chronological or necessary to watch in order, but it this a good one for someone new to Star Wars?

Hi CdG, if you are over 40 yrs i would recomend you to watch it in this order:

Rouge 1, Star Wars IV, V ,VI, maybe Solo as well and call it good :lol:

If you are below 40 take a ten sided dice and roll:

1= Episode 1

2= Ep 2

3= Ep 3

4= Solo

5= Rogue 1

6= Ep 4

7= EP 5

8= Ep 6

9= Ep7

10= Ep8

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The problem with Solo for the uninitiated and even diehard Star Wars fan is there are many scenes where you can’t see the characters. Ron Howard is an old pro, wouldn’t he hire a competent director of photography? Unless he was saddled with holdovers from the previous crew.

• @aequitas:

1= Episode 1

2= Ep 2

3= Ep 3

4= Solo

5= Rogue 1

6= Ep 4

7= EP 5

8= Ep 6

9= Ep7

10= Ep8

I’m below 40—way below—and I almost feel offended that the younger generation is stereotyped as “role the dice and follow.”  It’s sad how much my generation doesn’t care.  They call me “old-fashioned” and “boring.”  I guess a fellow can’t like Axis and Allies and be a “normal” teenager.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don’t have a ten-sided die.
    …why are you looking at me like that?

• @Charles:

@aequitas:

1= Episode 1

2= Ep 2

3= Ep 3

4= Solo

5= Rogue 1

6= Ep 4

7= EP 5

8= Ep 6

9= Ep7

10= Ep8

I’m below 40�way below�and I almost feel offended that the younger generation is stereotyped as “role the dice and follow.”  It’s sad how much my generation doesn’t care.  They call me “old-fashioned” and “boring.”  I guess a fellow can’t like Axis and Allies and be a “normal” teenager.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don’t have a ten-sided die.
    …why are you looking at me like that?

I am over 40, not much but yes, over 40 and i almost feel offended,  not much but almost a little bit
    why the younger generation can’t combine boardgaming fun with Star Wars?

Hey i just wanted to point out the good Episodes of SW and let you know that if you really care to watch the rest of them it is like rolling the dice.

But: that is no excuse to say, that you don’t have a ten sided dice!  :x

See:->DiceRolling 1d10:
    (10)

• I’ve been with Star Wars since I was 10 in 1977 and watched every movie in theater as they were released… having said that, I had to decide how to introduce the movies to my children who were born well into the 21st century… I waited until they were 8 and 10 so they weren’t too young to miss plot points and debated over the Ep 4 through 6 then prequels or simply 1 through 6 in order…

I ended up showing them Episodes 1 through 6 in order and I am glad I did… it really becomes a story about Darth Vader’s fall and redemption of you watch it in that order… at the time I showed it to my kids, Rogue One wasn’t out yet, but it definitely needs to be inserted… consider Rogue One episode 3 and a half… it really does a great job of setting up Episode IV (the original Star Wars movie).

If you’ve never watched the saga, I recommend in Star Wars universe chronological order, not in release date order… just remember Rogue One needs to be watched between episodes 3 and 4.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m