• I was nearly 9, when it was released amd I saw it.
    Good advice Nowhere Man.

• I can understand the rationale for watching them in Star Wars universe chronological order, but an argument can also be made that a brand-new viewer should first watch them in release order, and that watching them in universe chronological order is something that is best done after you’ve already watched them once.  This essentially has to do with how much the viewer is assumed to know about the previous releases while watching any given movie.  With the original film (now called Episode IV), the viewer was assumed to be starting fresh because there had previously been no Star Wars movies.  With Episode V, the viewer was assume to have seen IV.  With VI, the viewer was expected to have seen IV and V.  And so forth.

If you watch the films in universe chronological order, you won’t get this systematic build-up of knowledge about the Star Wars universe, and this will have two basic effects.  First, the films won’t make as much sense.  In Episode I, for instance, we’re thrown straight into a conflict that supposedly revolves around “a dispute about the taxation of galactic trade routes”.  I’d seen all the previous films, and even then my reaction was, “Huh?  This is a movie about taxes?” – so I can’t imagine what a complete neophyte would think.  The movie also assumes right off the bat that you know what a Jedi Knight is, whereas Episode IV didn’t and it introduced the concept in a more easily graspable way.  The second problem is that, even if you can make sense of the movies by initiallty watching them in universe chronological order, you won’t “get” any of the ominous or tragic or funny or suspenseful or continuity touches that depend on knowing what will happen in the original releases.  For instance, the Episode I line of dialogue “Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-wan Kenobi” is just a routine introduction on the surface – but if you’ve seen the original trilogy, you’ll realize that it’s actually a momentous and pivotal moment of the entire Star Wars saga.  And on a purely technical note, it may be a bit jarring to go from the moderm CGI-heavy prequel trilogy to the 1970s-era special effects of Episode IV (even in its upgraded release), whereas in release order you can see the F/X technology improving as you go along.

• :?

I sense a rift in the fanbase’s opinions.

• @Charles:

The Star Wars version of that phrase would be “I sense a great disturbance in the Force” – but at any rate, that’s not terribly surprising.  My knowledge of Star Wars fandom is very superficial, since I’m by far much more of a Star Trek person, but I would imagine that the SW folks are just as passionate and opinionated and diverse in their views as the ST folks (which the latter certainly are).

• Whooooooo Hoooooooo!!! Well I took my parents at 1:00 to the movies today to see the Incredibles 2, and we all loved it. I loved it soo much that when we got home I told my mom if she would drive me back to the theater, I would buy her another ticket. So as I am writing this, I am on my way home from the movie theater… again. It’s 9:30 EST where I live and I’m going back home to rewatch the Incredibles. I am a little disappointed that there were swear words and God’s name used in vain. I just wanted to tell y’all about my Incredible experience. :-D

• @Topmat:

Whooooooo Hoooooooo!!! Well I took my parents at 1:00 to the movies today to see the Incredibles 2, and we all loved it. I loved it soo much that when we got home I told my mom if she would drive me back to the theater, I would buy her another ticket. So as I am writing this, I am on my way home from the movie theater… again. It’s 9:30 EST where I live and I’m going back home to rewatch the Incredibles. I am a little disappointed that there were swear words and God’s name used in vain. I just wanted to tell y’all about my Incredible experience. :-D

This is quite possibly the most confusing thing I’ve ever read on AxisandAlies.org. :?  are you actually saying you watched the same movie twice then watched the original?

I think I better stop it with the movies and go role some dice.  My head hurts.

• @CWO:

@Charles:

The Star Wars version of that phrase would be “I sense a great disturbance in the Force” – but at any rate, that’s not terribly surprising.  My knowledge of Star Wars fandom is very superficial, since I’m by far much more of a Star Trek person, but I would imagine that the SW folks are just as passionate and opinionated and diverse in their views as the ST folks (which the latter certainly are).

Ok… what order should someone who has never seen Star Trek movies watch Star Trek Movies (all the way from Star Trek The Motion Picture through the JJ Abrams ones… and should ST:V just be thrown in the trash?)

• Star Trek movies should be watched as follows: Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search of Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Continues, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.  Then get really drunk and watch Star Trek V and pretend that it makes sense… There are a few scenes in there worth watching, but it really is a mess.

You are now done watching Star Trek motion pictures.  It is kinda sad, but even this fanboy realizes that the actors were getting old and the writers were running out of ideas, so it is almost certainly for the best there was never another Star Trek movie made.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Mordineus:

Star Trek movies should be watched as follows: Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search of Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Continues, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.  Then get really drunk and watch Star Trek V and pretend that it makes sense… There are a few scenes in there worth watching, but it really is a mess.

You are now done watching Star Trek motion pictures.  It is kinda sad, but even this fanboy realizes that the actors were getting old and the writers were running out of ideas, so it is almost certainly for the best there was never another Star Trek movie made.

:lol: :lol:

• '17 '16 '15

@Mordineus:

Star Trek movies should be watched as follows: Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search of Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Continues, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.  Then get really drunk and watch Star Trek V and pretend that it makes sense… There are a few scenes in there worth watching, but it really is a mess.

I suggest watching " Balance of Terror " season one for starters and go from there.

Not a movie…but woulda been a good one : )

• @Charles:

@Topmat:

Whooooooo Hoooooooo!!! Well I took my parents at 1:00 to the movies today to see the Incredibles 2, and we all loved it. I loved it soo much that when we got home I told my mom if she would drive me back to the theater, I would buy her another ticket. So as I am writing this, I am on my way home from the movie theater… again. It’s 9:30 EST where I live and I’m going back home to rewatch the Incredibles. I am a little disappointed that there were swear words and God’s name used in vain. I just wanted to tell y’all about my Incredible experience. :-D

This is quite possibly the most confusing thing I’ve ever read on AxisandAlies.org. :?  are you actually saying you watched the same movie twice then watched the original?

I think I better stop it with the movies and go role some dice.  My head hurts.

Yes. I meant what I said. I really enjoyed the movies and now I’m waiting for it to come out on dvd. I’ve been following when it is going to come out so I can be some of the first to own it on dvd. Sorry I made your head hurt, and I guess it does sound a little crazy, but I love the Incredibles.  :-)

• @Nowhere:

Ok… what order should someone who has never seen Star Trek movies watch Star Trek Movies (all the way from Star Trek The Motion Picture through the JJ Abrams ones… and should ST:V just be thrown in the trash?)

I’d watch them in release order.  I agree that ST:V is a low point in the film series, but it does fit the overall pattern of “the curse of the odd-numbered films”, a theory which basically says that most of the even-numbered film releases (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th) have tended to be much better than the odd-numbered ones.  Nemesis (10th) broke the pattern in my opinion (I didn’t like it), and frankly I haven’t liked the Abrams films either…though the best of the bunch, in my opinion, is the even-numbered Into Darkness (12th).

• Not as eager to see as the Incredibles 2, but I am ready to see Wreck it Ralph 2. I know that it is sort of a goofy movie, but then again, my family calls me goofy also. It’s release date is November 21, 2018.

• @CWO:

I can understand the rationale for watching them in Star Wars universe chronological order, but an argument can also be made that a brand-new viewer should first watch them in release order, and that watching them in universe chronological order is something that is best done after you’ve already watched them once.� This essentially has to do with how much the viewer is assumed to know about the previous releases while watching any given movie.� With the original film (now called Episode IV), the viewer was assumed to be starting fresh because there had previously been no Star Wars movies.� With Episode V, the viewer was assume to have seen IV.� With VI, the viewer was expected to have seen IV and V.� And so forth.�

If you watch the films in universe chronological order, you won’t get this systematic build-up of knowledge about the Star Wars universe, and this will have two basic effects.� First, the films won’t make as much sense.� In Episode I, for instance, we’re thrown straight into a conflict that supposedly revolves around “a dispute about the taxation of galactic trade routes”.� I’d seen all the previous films, and even then my reaction was, “Huh?� This is a movie about taxes?” – so I can’t imagine what a complete neophyte would think.� The movie also assumes right off the bat that you know what a Jedi Knight is, whereas Episode IV didn’t and it introduced the concept in a more easily graspable way.� The second problem is that, even if you can make sense of the movies by initiallty watching them in universe chronological order, you won’t “get” any of the ominous or tragic or funny or suspenseful or continuity touches that depend on knowing what will happen in the original releases.� For instance, the Episode I line of dialogue “Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-wan Kenobi” is just a routine introduction on the surface – but if you’ve seen the original trilogy, you’ll realize that it’s actually a momentous and pivotal moment of the entire Star Wars saga.� And on a purely technical note, it may be a bit jarring to go from the moderm CGI-heavy prequel trilogy to the 1970s-era special effects of Episode IV (even in its upgraded release), whereas in release order you can see the F/X technology improving as you go along.

Totally agree. But tbh I think that people can watch in whatever order they want and still love the movies haha. Because Star Wars is a legendary series. It is also my childhood memory. However, I do agree that if you watch it in release order before chronological order is the best for newbies.

• @codybene:

@CWO:

I can understand the rationale for watching them in Star Wars universe chronological order, {snip}

Totally agree. But tbh I think that people can watch in whatever order they want and still love the movies haha. Because Star Wars is a legendary series. It is also my childhood memory. However, I do agree that if you watch it in release order before chronological order is the best for newbies.

There is another way. It’s called Hatchet Order or Machete Order, and goes like this: watch IV (A New Hope) and V (The Empire Strikes Back). Now that you’ve learned who Luke’s father is, you can watch II (Attack of the Clones) and III (Revenge of the Sith) (avoiding the annoyingness and lack of story profession in I (Phantom Menace)) and then finish up with VI (Return of the Jedi). You could add Rogue One to taste (I think it would be best after III, but watching it at the very beginning wouldn’t be bad).

Here’s a article from 2012 that discusses it: https://www.wired.com/2012/02/machete-order-star-wars/

And now you know.

-Midnight_Reaper

• Watched Venom tonight and have to say that i liked it.
    Even though i am through with all the Marvel movie making and only watching it when it comes out on DVD, I really can recomend Venom to see in theatres.

• Black Panther is one of the best movies in 2018

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m