• I have been thinking about how to better implement Research and Development into the game. I think the tech IPC values can most definitely be changed up as well as implementing your own tech into the charts. Overall structure I think is good and gives the element of research and development more of a strategic factor vs blind luck. All the games I have played Research and development is rarely tried. I think this is a shame because Research and Development had so much to do with WWII. So here is my system use it abuse it improve it do with it what you like  :-)

New Facility

#1. Research and Development Lab

The piece that I use to represent this facility is the Risk Arcadian Colony piece. These can be found in packs of 15 and are sized well for Axis and Allies game boards.

Research and Development Lab Rules

Once your nation has committed to Research and Development you will start your turn sequence with this as your new first phase in the turn order sequence. In order to start researching new technologies you first need to purchase a Research and Development Lab at a cost of (10) IPC. Research and Development Labs can be placed on any territory with a minimum IPC value of (1). Each Lab will gain you a single (12) sided dice that you role per turn. Each Research and Development technology has an IPC value associated. Before rolling your dice you must first declare what technology you are researching. In order to research multiple technologies you must purchase more labs. Each lab gives you the ability to research an additional technology per turn if desired. Once you have accumulated the necessary IPC value per your dice rolls you have developed your nations new technology and it can immediately be utilized. Research and Development Labs can be strategically and tactically bombed. Three hit points renders these facilities inoperative. Partially damaged facilities can still take part in Research and Development activities. If these facilities reach (3) hit points you will lose (1) turn before you can continue R&D at that specific facility. This means once the facility has been repaired via paying the required amount of IPC which is (1) PC per hit point you will not be able to use it until the next turn. All labs are independent facilities and treated separately.

Research and Development Technologies

Chart #1. Infrastructure

A. Increased Factory Production = Research Value is 30 IPC
    B. Improved Shipyards = Research Value is 20 IPC
    C. Improved Airbases = Your Air units are now -3 IPC cheaper to build. Research Value is 20 IPC 
    C. Radar = Research Value is 15 IPC
    E. War Bonds = Research Value is 25 IPC
    F. Improved Railways = Transport your land units anywhere within your territory that has a direct territory link during the non combat move phase.  Research Value is 25 IPC

Chart #2. Military Air, Land, and Sea Technology

A. Advanced Artillery = Research Value is 15 IPC
    B. Improved Mechanized Infantry = Research Value is 15 IPC
    C. Heavy Tanks = Can now build Heavy Tanks. Heavy Tanks have 2 hit points. Research Value is 15 IPC
    D. Super Submarines = Research Value is 20 IPC
    E. Heavy Battleships = Can now build Heavy Battleships. Heavy Battleships double hit points. Research Value is 30 IPC
    F. Improved Transports = Can now build Improved Transports. Improved transports doubles transport capacity. Research Value is 15 IPC
    G. Jet Fighters = Research Value is 25 IPC
    H. Long-Range Aircraft = Research Value is 20 IPC
    I. Heavy Bombers = Research Value is 30 IPC

Chart #3. Nuclear and Missile Technology

A. Nuclear Fission Technology = First Nuclear tech. Research Value is 30 IPC
    B. Heavy Water Technology = Prerequisite for Nuclear Fission Bomb. Research Value is 30 IPC
    C. Nuclear Fission Bomb Technology = Can now build Nuclear Bombs at 30 IPC. Nuclear Bombs Destroy everything in a territory and are delivered by Strategic Bombers. Research Value is 30 IPC
    D. Rockets = Initial Technology for your Rocket Program. Research Value is 15 IPC
    E. Liquid Propellant Rocket Technology = Prerequisite for V2 Rocket Technology. Research Value is 20 IPC
    F. V2 Rocket Technology = Increases your Rocket attack range to 8 spaces. Research Value is 25 IPC

• I like the idea have you play tested it yet?

• Yes but not on the A&A Global 40 Map. We have only tried it on the Global War 1939 Large Map. I will say that it has definitely made things very interesting. Once you get 3 labs you can really start turning out techs with the 12 sided dice. You definitely have to pay attention to what your opponents are researching  :-) Everyone that I play with has really enjoyed using these rules. I can’t see why these rules couldn’t be used on the A&A Global 40 game board.

• '17 '16 '15

Good stuff here GreenHornet : )

• Thanks Barney I hope others will find my ideas useful. This definitely adds more strategy to the game and for me makes it more enjoyable.

Take care,

GH

• '21 '18 '16

We do our technology country specific as such:

Germany
    2 – The jet age begins and the ME-262 takes to the skies. Fighters defend at a 5 during ground attacks and scrambles, and defend at 4 during strategic and tactical bombing.
    3 – King Tiger tank is developed and rolls off the assembly line. Armor now attacks on a 4.
    4 – Type IX U-boat is unleashed upon the Atlantic. Submarines attack at 3 and defend at 2.
    5 – Nebelwerfer rocket packs delivered to the front. All artillery can support 2 infantry or mechanized infantry.
    6 – Waffen SS divisions now attached to regular army divisions. “4+1” For every 5 infantry in a combat or defense. One attacks and defends at +1. With an attached artillery the attack value is increased to 3.
    7 – V-2 Rocket is developed. Airbases may now conduct one industrial or naval/air base attack on a zone within 4 spaces. One die of damage is rolled per German controlled operational air base.
    8 – Long range aircraft. All aircraft flight range is increased by 1 movement.
    9 – Advanced radar. AA guns hit at 2 during strategic and tactical bombing raids.
    10 – Improved mechanized infantry. All mechanized infantry attacks at a 2. Artillery do not boost.
    11 - Improved aviation engineering and manufacturing. Fighters now cost 8 IPC.

12 – Atomic weapons. A new age of terror begins as the Nazis harness the power of the atom.
    Atomic bombs cost 24 IPC to build. Only two may be built per turn. May not be built on same turn as breakthrough turn.
    Move as infantry by land or sea. If loaded on a strategic bomber, it can move the current range of the bomber
    Due to a lack of trained technicians and engineers, a nation may possess no more than 2 weapons at one time.
    Due to the size and nature of the airburst associated with the nuclear warhead, no attack roll is required to score a successful hit.
    No air defense, such as fighter interception, is allowed due to the altitude of the strike plane and surprise of the attack. Only upgraded fighters may intercept. Long range aircraft or jet power technology must have been researched to perform interception.
    An atomic weapon is treated as an AAA gun if the territory in which it is stored is attacked. 
    No AAA guns are to be fired due to the altitude of the strike plane and surprise of the attack only normal AA gun with factory can fire. Airbase and naval base do not fire AA.
    Any industrial complex is attacked with 4 dice disabled to maximum value of 20 for major and 2 dice disabled to maximum value of 6 for minor complexes.
    Any airbases or naval bases are attacked by one dice of value.
    One dice is rolled and that number of units of defenders choice eliminated. AAA guns may be chosen.

If used on a naval assault:
    The nuclear strike cannot be combined with surface vessels.
    Due to the altitude of the strike plane and surprise of the strike, aircraft on carriers and loaded troops on transports are considered to be cargo and provide no defense. The 5 hits are assessed and the attacking bomber returns to base. No 2nd attack is permitted.
    Transports chosen last.

USSR is not permitted to develop weapons until they are in a state of war.
    1 – IL-2 Sturmovik rolls off the line. All fighters now attack at 4 when paired with a matching armor.
    2 – T-36 rolls off the line. Tanks now attack at 4.
    3 – Katyusha rocket packs to the front. Artillery can support 2 infantry.
    4 – Russian home guard. “4+1”, for every 5 infantry on defense one defends at 3.
    5 – 6 Roll again

Japan
    1 – Kaiten submarine is unleashed upon the Pacific. Submarines attack 3 / defend 2.
    2 – Improved ship building. Battleships cost 17 and carriers cost 13.
    3 – Ship radar. Battleships now hit and defend at 5.
    4 – Improved capital ship design. Battleships and carriers now require 3 hits to destroy.
    5 – Long range aircraft. All aircraft flight range is increased by 1 movement.
    6 – Improved aviation engineering and manufacturing. All air units cost reduced by 2 IPC.

USA is not permitted to develop weapons until they are in a state of war.
    2 – B-29 is developed by Boeing. Roll 2 dice for each strategic bomber in a combat or strategic raid. Range is increased to 8.
    3 – Improved factories and manufacturing methods. Cost of all units except infantry, reduced by 1 IPC.
    4 – Ship radar. Battleships now hit and defend at 5.
    5 – Improved capital ship design. Battleships and carriers now require 3 hits to destroy.
    6 – Improved ship building. Battleships cost 17 and carriers cost 13.
    7 – P-51 Mustang rolls off line. Fighters now have a range of 6
    8 – Rocket barges developed. Destroyers may now conduct shore bombardment at a 2.
    9 – Improved mechanized infantry. All mechanized infantry attacks at a 2. Artillery do not boost.
    10 – Long range aircraft. All aircraft flight range is increased by 1 movement. P-51 is not increased.
    11 – Jet power developed. Fighters defend at 5 during defense and scramble and 4 during strategic and tactical bombing raids.
    12 – Atomic weapons. See German section.

United Kingdom
    1 – Sterling bombers developed. Roll 2 dice for each strategic bomber in a combat or strategic raid.
    2 – Ship radar. Battleships now hit and defend at 5.
    3 – Improved capital ship design. Battleships and carriers now require 3 hits to destroy.
    4 – SAS Commandos. On first round only, of an amphibious assault infantry hit on a 2. Matching artillery boost to a 3.
    5 – Anti-aircraft radar improvements. AA guns hit on 2 during strategic and tactical bombing.
    6 – Spitfire III rolls off the line. Fighters now defend at 5 during defense and scrambles and 2 during strategic and tactical bombing raids.

Italy
    1 – Long range aircraft. All aircraft flight range is increased by 1 movement.
    2 - Improved aviation engineering and manufacturing. All air units reduced cost by 2 IPC.
    3 – Improved mechanized infantry. All mechanized infantry attacks at a 2. Artillery do not boost.
    4 – Mobile artillery. Artillery may now move 2.
    5 – Frogmen commandos. On the first round of combat only, 2 extra dice are rolled prior to a naval attack. A roll of 2 or less is a hit. Hits are assessed prior to the main attack.
    6 – Roll again.

Australia – due to lack of industry and supplies are limited to naval improvements only. ANZAC is not permitted to develop weapons until they are in a state of war
    1 – Improved ship building.
    Cost table
    Battleship 17
    Aircraft Carrier 13
    Cruiser 9
    Destroyer 7
    Transport 6
    Submarine 5
    2 – Ship radar. Battleships now hit and defend at 5.
    3 – Improved capital ship design. Battleships and carriers now require 3 hits to destroy.
    4 – Long range aircraft. All aircraft flight range is increased by 1 movement.
    5 – Improved aviation engineering and manufacturing. All air units cost reduced by 2 IPC.
    6 – Royal Marines. Infantry may be transported by Anzac cruisers and battleships. 1 per ship. Ships can still bombard in amphibious landings and attack prior to a landing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m