• '19 '17 '16

Did you reinforce London UK2 and in this case UK3? 20 units in London is an awful lot. Unless USSR can push back to Germany significantly, it might be all over. USSR should have been building up offensive units such as artillery when the transports dropped G2.

I’d still take a 50/50 to sink his transports. Then you can indeed build up a US fleet which can liberate it.

• I moved the Quebec troops to London and the Ontario troops to Scotland.  Otherwise I lost the starting fighters but added 6 inf + Fighter UK1, 10 infantry UK2, and 9 infantry UK3.  He had 4 bombers, 9 tanks, 1 fighter, 10 arty, 5 mech, and 24 infantry with bombards from cruiser and BB (IIRC we were playing FtF and he didn’t have time to send me a Triple A save before he went on vacation).  It’s probably more than 20 units actually since I barely made a dent in the infantry.

He also managed a Calcutta Crush in the Pacific.  He figures it’ll take him 4 turns to get Sydney.  I put out some blockers in the central Pacific to keep his fleet off of mine which just took the Carolines but he’s working on a way to sweep them aside so he can do an air raid to wipe my fleet and non-combat move his carriers so they can land.  I still have a small group of ships in Pearl and 4 fighters on Gilbert Islands so he’s worried about counter attacks.  But he has clear shot at controlling money islands and just that Carolines fleet between him and Sydney.

For my part I’ve got Africa and ME.  French fleet survived along with a couple of UK ships in Med so I’m convoying Italy.  I’ve landed a UK tank in Southern France and I have some US troops ready to land as well.

Russia I’d been pretty aggressive with since there was no doubt about Sea Lion.  I actually built a couple of transports and tons of tanks, mech, and arty.  I took Finland, Norway, and Denmark as well as Poland, Slovakia/Hungary, and Romania.  He used Italian blockers to stop me from blitzing further.  The Balkans have like 1 or 2 Italian tanks left, and Italy only has a small stack of infantry (like 6) left on Rome.  He’s got pretty big stacks on Germany and Western Germany but that’s about it.  So if I can manage to take out his transports I can pretty much save Europe but not likely to get London back anytime soon.

• '19 '17 '16

Russia sounds pretty good then, even if the fleet sounds wasteful. If you can’t sink the Kriegsmarine, you won’t be able to hold London if you can take it back.

If UK holds all the Middle East then that income is lost and you can’t build an IC there either.

One option is a neutral crush which may allow ANZAC or even USA to take Saudi Arabia although I’m not sure that’s a good idea really.

If UK are dead on both sides of the board, they might stay that way. China might give Japan some trouble.

Not sure if you can save this game but that’s a few thoughts there. The key might be going after Germany with USSR big time.

• Can russia send some tanks and mech to help uk pacific or china?

Usa sinks German transports so the wermacht become effectively  pows in london. Then convoy them hard so they gain no benefit from uk territory.

Maybe hit neutrals for extra cash.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@KingCheops:

I moved the Quebec troops to London and the Ontario troops to Scotland.  Otherwise I lost the starting fighters but added 6 inf + Fighter UK1, 10 infantry UK2, and 9 infantry UK3.  He had 4 bombers, 9 tanks, 1 fighter, 10 arty, 5 mech, and 24 infantry with bombards from cruiser and BB (IIRC we were playing FtF and he didn’t have time to send me a Triple A save before he went on vacation).  It’s probably more than 20 units actually since I barely made a dent in the infantry.

He also managed a Calcutta Crush in the Pacific.  He figures it’ll take him 4 turns to get Sydney.  I put out some blockers in the central Pacific to keep his fleet off of mine which just took the Carolines but he’s working on a way to sweep them aside so he can do an air raid to wipe my fleet and non-combat move his carriers so they can land.  I still have a small group of ships in Pearl and 4 fighters on Gilbert Islands so he’s worried about counter attacks.  But he has clear shot at controlling money islands and just that Carolines fleet between him and Sydney.

For my part I’ve got Africa and ME.  French fleet survived along with a couple of UK ships in Med so I’m convoying Italy.  I’ve landed a UK tank in Southern France and I have some US troops ready to land as well.

Russia I’d been pretty aggressive with since there was no doubt about Sea Lion.  I actually built a couple of transports and tons of tanks, mech, and arty.  I took Finland, Norway, and Denmark as well as Poland, Slovakia/Hungary, and Romania.  He used Italian blockers to stop me from blitzing further.  The Balkans have like 1 or 2 Italian tanks left, and Italy only has a small stack of infantry (like 6) left on Rome.  He’s got pretty big stacks on Germany and Western Germany but that’s about it.  So if I can manage to take out his transports I can pretty much save Europe but not likely to get London back anytime soon.

So Russia, having captured all of those territories, would have an income of at least 60 and probably more. Germany, having lost the same territories, can’t have much more than about 35, and Italy is also in poor shape if you have Africa and the Middle East. Those “tons” of Russian tanks and mechs should soon be able to overrun the Balkans as well, making the Bear even bigger and adding to Axis woes (I’m assuming here that Germany has no way of recapturing the territories mentioned on a permanent basis without Russia stepping in again on their turn).
    In other words, it seems like Russia should easily be able to overcome the European Axis all by itself. Which implies that while it may not “feel” right, there’s absolutely no compelling reason to liberate London in the first place. Within some five rounds, it may even become the last German holdout  :-D

As for the US: as tempting as it may be to gain naval supremacy over Germany in order to liberate London and re-activate the UK as an income-generating Allied power, your description of the situation in the Pacific seems quite alarming. Therefore, I’d say that any further US effort in the European theater is waste of resources that should be used to stop Japan from going against the tide of the overall war by scoring a Pacific victory, So my advice would be to immediately go full-Pacific with the US, including anything that is now on the Atlantic side of the board, and save Sydney and Honolulu.

• @Herr:

As for the US: as tempting as it may be to gain naval supremacy over Germany in order to liberate London and re-activate the UK as an income-generating Allied power, your description of the situation in the Pacific seems quite alarming. Therefore, I’d say that any further US effort in the European theater is waste of resources that should be used to stop Japan from going against the tide of the overall war by scoring a Pacific victory, So my advice would be to immediately go full-Pacific with the US, including anything that is now on the Atlantic side of the board, and save Sydney and Honolulu.

Thanks everyone so far for the help!

This was my thinking with the US as well.  What do people feel is a good fleet buy for 74 IPC?  He’ll have 4 CVs with a max of 4 tac and 4 fighters on them in the Carolines (less casualties from sea battle so I’ll still have the territory).  He’ll also have a certain amount of ships scattered around Central Pacific because he’s worried my screens (3 DD) will link up with the Pearl fleet (SS, DD, CV) and hit his CVs.  I also have 4 fighters sitting in Gilbert Islands.

The idea is I need to take out a portion of his fleet and somehow get down to Australia.  I’m thinking 2 CV, Battleship, DD, 2 SS, with 2 IPC left for next round.

In regards to Russia I think I can send some troops (like 3 mech, 3 tank) to help back east.  He’s got his 80 IPC build next round but only has 26 factory capacity on the mainland (23 if UK takes Normandy but not France).

Sorry this is kind of sketchy but again FtF without a Triple A save so I can’t remember exactly what was on the boards.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@KingCheops:

Thanks everyone so far for the help!

You’re welcome.  :-)

@KingCheops:

This was my thinking with the US as well.  What do people feel is a good fleet buy for 74 IPC?  He’ll have 4 CVs with a max of 4 tac and 4 fighters on them in the Carolines (less casualties from sea battle so I’ll still have the territory).  He’ll also have a certain amount of ships scattered around Central Pacific because he’s worried my screens (3 DD) will link up with the Pearl fleet (SS, DD, CV) and hit his CVs.  I also have 4 fighters sitting in Gilbert Islands.

The idea is I need to take out a portion of his fleet and somehow get down to Australia.  I’m thinking 2 CV, Battleship, DD, 2 SS, with 2 IPC left for next round.

I’m assuming that you also have planes to put on those CV’s. In that case, it seems reasonable though I’m not a big fan of buying BB’s and would rather consider yet another CV (if you have the planes) and more DD’s instead of SS’s. I do like SS buys, but if Japan can only attack with planes (which seems to be the case here), you’ll need to guard against those. Generally speaking it’s of course difficult to say what you should do based on the information available, but if you want to guard Australia, then I’m not sure you need to actually attack his fleet. Consider parking the USN in SZ 54 (off Queensland) to just block him. Anzac fighters can go to Queensland to scramble if he should attack. Of course, you need to take care not to lose Hawaii instead.

@KingCheops:

In regards to Russia I think I can send some troops (like 3 mech, 3 tank) to help back east.  He’s got his 80 IPC build next round but only has 26 factory capacity on the mainland (23 if UK takes Normandy but not France).

So I suppose Germany has 80 IPC’s for one round because it just took the UK money and he’ll then fall back to his regular income. He’ll probably be buying inf and art, and considering that he already has a few pretty big stacks, I’d be hesitant to send any Russians east. Don’t allow Germany to regain the initiative in Europe: the tide can turn against you if you lose those eastern European territories and/or Scandinavia which he might also attack with all those transports available.

• I wouldn’t bother with Russia sending reinforcements to Asia.  If they can contain Germany and Italy for a long time, the US+ANZAC can easily clean up in the Pacific.

If you are concerned about Sydney falling, consider a big US fighter build.  They can make it to Queensland in 2 turns, giving a huge defensive boost to the land forces while also giving you flexibility to attack Japanese naval forces.

• @Caesar:

@simon33:

^ It matters not.

Without reinforcing London UK1, a 2inf 6art buy can be turned to Sea Lion easily.

I disagree, because lets say you toss your first buy away like putting a minor in Egypt. Germany ain’t going to try and invade UK with one transport so the next move would have to be transports and UK can then build infantry and that should be enough to stop Sea Lion.

Sorry, I know this is from like two months ago, but…

My issue with your response is simple… On G2, if Germany buys a bunch of transports, and you haven’t already reinforced London, its probably too late.  As Germany, on G2 I would also strategic bomb you and move my fleet into SZ 98.  UK2 you’d spend 10+ ipc repairing your factory and at the end of your turn I’d be convoying you, so UK3 you’d have 15-20 fewer IPC again.

• I think the #1 lesson I learned on the forums and actually playing the game is this.

UK1 YOU ALWAYS BUILD: 6 INF + 1FTR or 9 INF on London.

If Germany is going to go ahead with sea lion make it a honest attempt. Defend London to the best of your ability on UK1 and UK2 and see what happens.

UK gets in trouble when they do not defend London to the max on their first 2 turns and goes off script. UK cannot afford to miscalculate the situation and be under manned on the first 2 turns on London and let Germany waltz in and take it.

UK2 Your purchase is a response to Germany. If they go Sea Lion build you MUST build more defense on the island. If they go with a Russia build and no TRS that is when you can build that minor IC somewhere and start looking at areas to annoy the Axis.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m