House Rules from Game Master

• @Imperious:

Anderson can you PLEASE help us in out Historical edition… WE grant you partial authorship of the project. we need help with your game theroy on the NA’s and other ideas… please contribute!

By the way I am just a casual family gamer, not an old school war gamer. ;-)

• House rule for RISK:

Combat Strength Bonus
    If one has a cavalry or artillery in their force that player gets a bonus; if the biggest unit is a cavalry one get to add +1 to the highest die roll and if the biggest unit is a artillery one get to add +1 to each die roll.

• I have now updated my house rules!  :-D

• did you get my Napoleon Wars ruleset?

• @Imperious:

did you get my Napoleon Wars ruleset?

Yes, but have not red them yet! I will!

• OK cool.

• I have revised the NA “Long Lance Torpedo”. So far we have used this NA for submarines only. Perhaps it would be a better play to go for a modifier for destroyers, attack and defend  during opening fire step of combat during the first cycle of combat only! Subs were armed with a smaller versions of the Type 93 (Long Lance) torpedo that had a shorter range (5,000 to 12,000 meters), called Type 95 and 97. Hence I dont think the +1 modifier for submarines is right in a historical point of view. Neither do I think it is too powerful, not even in combination with the NA “Tokyo Express”.

3.  Long Lance Torpedoes (replace Kaiten Torpedoes)
    The Japanese Navy possessed superior torpedoes in comparison with its Western counterparts, possessing an unequaled combination of speed, range, and hitting power.
    During the first cycle of combat only (both attack and defense qualify) your destroyers fire in the opening fire step of combat.Any cassualties destroyed are removed from play, with no chance to counter-attack. In succeeding cycles of combat, your destroyers fire in the attacking units fire or defending units fire step of combat. This special ability is cancelled if enemy fighters are present.

The Japanese Navy outfitted many of its destroyers and cruisers with the Type 93 torpedo. The long range, speed, and heavy warhead of the Type 93 gave these warships a formidable punch. The Type 93 had a maximum range of 40,000 meters with a 1,080 lb (490 kg) warhead. In comparison the 16 inch /L45 guns mounted on the then-current US Colorado-class battleships fired a 2,110 lb (957 kg) shell to an absolute maximum range of 39,600 yards (36,210 m). Practical ranges for both weapons were much shorter, but still fairly comparable overall. In early battles, Japanese destroyers and cruisers were able to launch their torpedoes from over 20,000 metres out at unsuspecting Allied ships that were attempting to close to gun range, expecting torpedoes to be fired at less than 10,000 metres, the typical range of that era. This weapon, coupled with the flexible night battle tactics practiced by Japan’s cruisers and destroyers, led to victory after victory in the early stages of the war. Only as American radar and gunfire control became increasingly sophisticated would the Japanese advantage in night battles begin to disappear, and even then a Long Lance-armed Japanese destroyer was still a thing to be feared.

• Thats great … but where are those NA’s for our project? post what you got at this time so we can get moving on this.

• @Imperious:

Thats great … but where are those NA’s for our project? post what you got at this time so we can get moving on this.

Ok, here is one for Italy,a perfectiion of your Frogmen!

Commando Frogmen
    Italy was the first nation to use frogmen and human torpedoes. This secret naval weapon did a great deal of damage to the Royal Navy in the Mediterranean.
    Your submarines may target specific enemy ships.

• Thats a start…. need 9 more! LOL!

• So you are looking to replace the original ideas I gave you?  :-P

• Well, here is one I thought of recently (did not know you were still looking for ideas).

German Commander:
    It was a common view during WWII that Italy’s troops in general were inferior to those of Germany.  The famous quote from a German commander is, give me 50 divisions and I can help Italy, or give me 5 divisions and I will conquor Italy… or something to that effect.

For each German unit in an Italian territory, their matching Italian force defends one number higher.
    So if 2 German INF are in Southern, 2 Italian INF will defend on 3’s, the rest on 2’s. 
    This is a 1 for 1 pairing.  The German troops are not effected.

• "So you are looking to replace the original ideas I gave you? "

People thought i was crazy with them… i don’t understand why… i still have them to push around but I’d like to see what Andersson can come up with… after all he loves nothing but them… hes the main guy on what seems to work for NA’s. I allways use the best minds possible to get the job done.

• I think this variant will work as well!
    Commando Frogmen
    Italy was the first nation to use frogmen and human torpedoes. This secret naval weapon did a great deal of damage to the Royal Navy in the Mediterranean.
    Each turn one of your submarines may target specific enemy ships, attack only. This submarine hit on a die roll of 3 or less.

• Whats frogmen used in battles or more like small tactical operations?

In the latter case it would happen more like rockets rather than a combat bonus.

Should the number of frogmen be proportional to submarines, surface ships, or infantry in the Mediterranean?
    Probably a range of 1? Since we don’t expect the frogmen to swim too far.

• @tekkyy:

Whats frogmen used in battles or more like small tactical operations?

In the latter case it would happen more like rockets rather than a combat bonus.

Should the number of frogmen be proportional to submarines, surface ships, or infantry in the Mediterranean?
    Probably a range of 1? Since we don’t expect the frogmen to swim too far.

Human torpedoes were launched to attack enemy ships in harbour. Speed 3-4 knots and manned by two frogmen. These attacks were mostly launched from submarines. That is why I restricted it to one sub per turn. these attacks were very successful and hence the increased attack ratio! These attacks were henced copied by UK and Germany due to the effectivness, hence no restriction to Mediterranean! Maybe one could say that the enemy ship must be in a sea zone next to land to be a fair game!

• Its gonna be interesting to see how we model the timeline with NA (national advantages).

Some NA may only come into effect from a certain turn.
    And maybe we adapt the system of choosing your NA later rather than at the beginning to be realistic.

Some NA may only last a certain number of turns, due to enemy realising what is happening or develop counters.

And then we’ve got copying of tactics to model.

And then we’ve got all those ifs….say if UK didn’t develop radar, would Germany have?

• Germany had radar letter in the war both air and naval.

In phase two we may apply a structure to turns to assign a timeline to the game in order to get things correct with respect to when certain events can occur.

I think 6 month turns are the correct “distance” to assign thus:

1. JANUARY-JUNE 1942         
    2. JULY-DECEMBER 1942
    3. JANUARY-JUNE 1943
    4. JULY-DECEMBER 1943
    5. JANUARY-JUNE 1944
    6. JULY-DECEMBER 1944
    7. JANUARY-JUNE 1945
    8. JULY-DECEMBER 1945

or you can do this:

1.  January - April 1942
    2.  May-August 1942
    3.  September -December 1942 
    4.  January – April 1943
    5.  May –August 1943
    6.  September-December 1943
    7.  January - April 1944
    8.  May-August 1944
    9.  September-December 1944 
    10. January – April 1945
    12.  May –August 1945

• The game becomes more rigid with certain timelines and restrictions to those. I am on the other side here, lareger variations and game flexibility!

• Germany had Already Radar in place to defend the “Atlantic wall” in Early 1941, long before “Barbarossa” would begin… So Radar shouldn’t be a UK advantage at all in a 1942 scenario. Only in a 1939…

We are working here on a Historical edition for A&A, so for this game timelines are essential and therefore more important then game flexibility, IMO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m