(Classic) Simple Cruiser Rules for Classic

• Baron,

One last question, and then I’ll put this line of thought to bed: What do you think of adding Amphibious Bombardment (AB) at 3 to these Cruisers we have been discussing? I had originally had that as a thought but it slipped my mind while we were discussing it. The chart of sea units would look like this:

Battleships at C20 A4D4M2 - Two hits to kill, AB at 4, AAA value at 1 against up to 2 planes per BB
    Carriers at C16 A1D3M2 - Two hits to kill, Carry two fighters
    Cruisers at C12 A3D3M2 - One hit to kill, AB at 3, Counters SS Submerge ability, AAA value at 1 against up to 1 plane per CA
    Subs at C8 A2D2M2 - One hit to kill, First Strike ability, Submerge ability
    Trans at C8 A0D1M2 - One hit to kill, Carry three infantry or one infantry and one (armor or AAA)

While my original notes for this unit had given Cruisers the AB ability, they didn’t have the AAA ability or the Counters SS Submerge ability before. While I think that these new breed Cruisers may have too many abilities when it can take on Subs, planes, and troops ashore I do wonder what you think.

-Midnight_Reaper

• Cruiser only thing I’d change is AB from 3 to 2.

• '17 '16

For simplicity sakes, I tend to make it 3 for Shore Bombardment.
    In  Cruiser vs BB pure combat, 2 hits BB is far better.
    Keeping AA 1 shot for Cruiser vs up to 2 rolls for BB keep it better, too.
    So, is Shore Bombardment @3 OP?
    It makes Cruiser better than BB for the cost.
    But Shorebombardment is blocked if a Naval combat is prior the amphibious assault.
    Lowering @2 keeps Cruiser guns proportional to BB guns, same way as AAA capacity.
    Still don’t think it is a crucial aspect to balance Cruiser vs BB.
    To my personal taste, I would keep the same dice as regular naval combat.

But, since Cruiser unit get AA and blocking Sub Submerge, it may be a good idea to restraint ShoreBombard to Battleship. However, I see no preponderance for one way over the other.

• @Baron:

{snip}
    But, since Cruiser unit get AA and blocking Sub Submerge, it may be a good idea to restraint Shore Bombard to Battleship. However, I see no preponderance for one way over the other.

I think that if Cruisers were “just” 3/3/2/12, Shore Bombard would be a good tool to add to them. But these new breed Cruisers “aren’t just” 3/3/2/12, they are 3/3/2/12 - Counters SS Submerge ability, AAA value at 1 against up to 1 plane per CA. And since they have anti-Sub and anti-aircraft abilities I think that adding Shore Bombard would be too much. I think I will leave it off. And in that way, there are reasons to buy Cruisers and reasons to buy Battleships.

Thanks again, Baron.

-Midnight_Reaper

• Cruisers or Destroyers for my new surface warship?

Subject of a new post: www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=41552.0

For those following along at home…

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m