• '21 '20 '18 '17

all depends on whether they bring 1, 2 or 3 carriers “around the bend”

1, UK time to play
    2, he outmatches you locally
    3, America should attack him while UK waits for him to rush home

• I reckon an agressive us naval build strategy can cause problems for the Japs. I am going to target sz3 and nuild afloating bridge to soviets. The goal is to stay just out of range of Japanese air support for their fleet and force them to come North on turns 3-5. By this time us will be shipping i units a turn to russia.

If japan fleet stays north uk and anzac grab islands.

If fleet goes south us can pressure japan even more.

• TripleA

I didn’t do jack squat for attacks round 1. I just sunk the transport and dd, grabbed the inf +aa gun off malta and drop it to egypt.

• Would it be worth building a second carrier for India, Especially if the Battleship survived.

If this also combined with some Anzac subs and a US threat from the North Japan would have some big problems.

The biggest threat would be from the Japanese land based air force, but if you lure them all out to sea around phillipines or celebes then this would take the pressure of the Chinese and Indians on Land. If the Japanese ignore them you grab islands. If they send the whole fleet south, America can move in to support in a 1-2 combo.

Did UK grab Persia and build factory to support USSR/India?

• For me, I only do this if Germany does not buy units offensive to London turn one.  Sacrificing the Mediterranean for the Dutch East Indies is good in theory but hard to pull of successfully.  Of course, letting Italy get off easy might be a bad idea.  I would suggest hitting Tobruk or Ethiopia or both.  From there, a dentermined attack on Japananese naval assest with UK, ANZAC, US, and  France (bring the Madagascar destroyer  :-D ) can be deadly.

The problem is significant help needs to be given to Russia to prevent Axis from winning with Moscow and Cairo, assuming the Brits cannot hold Egypt.

I will say this: it works but is not a strategy to live by.  I personally like being naval with UK Pacific.  It is a lot more effective that helping China, fighting for Southeast Asia, or defending India from the inevitable; but the loss in the Mediterranean can hurt.

• Hi all,

Just finished a game as Allies trying out this strategy. Both sides made mistakes but it was an interesting game. We played 10 turns and it ended in an allied victory. Summary as follows.

Germany
    Pushed as far as Moscow but lost everything in counterattack. Second push east stalled at Smolensk. Landed troops into Scotland but not enough to crush 25 defenders in London

USSR
    Gradually withdrew forces and hit Germans with counterattack in Moscow with 20 INF 10 ART 4 ARM 2MEC FTR TAC which wiped out spearhead. Then continued to recapture lost territories. In last few turns arrival of UK ARMs and MECs from India helped relieve the siege.

JAPAN
    T1 DOW against Allies. Spent whole game trying to fight 5 ways. (UK/ANZ/ CHI/ USSR/USA). Got above 50 for two turns then got knocked down to 35 for rest of game.      USSR DOW on JAPAN on turn 2 allowed US to set up land bridge to Eastern Siberia.

US
    Spent 100% of income for first 7 turns in Pacific. By turn 7 had totally blockaded Japan with 3 carriers 1 Battleship 2 Cruisers 7 Destroyers 14 subs. Japanese fleet was camped at Carolines. US Tanks were marching south into China. Japan was down to 2-3 territories on the mainland and 2 Islands.

Initially parked the fleet in SZ3. This is one turn from Sanfran and can shuttle troops from Alaska. by about turn 4 US was dropping 6INF 2ARM 2 ART per turn into Asia. Japan simply could not stop this assault.

China
    Spent the game trading back and forth with Japan. Basically aimed at population control so that Japan could not get organised to mount a concentrated attack or respond to UK/US land forces coming from the North and South.

UK (pacific)
    Built up fleet to 2 carriers + battleship + multiple cruisers/subs/destroyers. Spent the game advancing towards Vietnam and grabbing Islands when the Japanese fleet went North to deal with US fleet.

UK (Europe) Factories in Sth Africa and Persia pumped out as much as possible to hem Italy in. Basically frontline held in Central Africa/ Iraq. Late game had to turtle London, but held till US fleet arrived.

Italy. Got to 45IPCs due to UK not doing Taronto. UK forces withdrew to Persia and Central Africa. Italy took all MED areas but couldn’t expand. Late game Fleet entered Atlantic but wasn’t enough to challenge US.

ANZAC Grabbed NewGuinea then spent next few turns trading Java with Japan. Eventually ANZ navy got big enough that the combined 3 navies swamped JAPAN.

Conclusion.
    The KJF did work but UK Europe and USSR both nearly fell to Axis. By allowing Italian fleet to survive in full they easily got all their NOs and grew to 45. If Germany and Italy had put 100% into Russia they probably would have won. but they were distracted by fighting UK in Africa, and then turned to London.

Overall I would use this strategy again but would probably not go 100% with US for so long. I would build Carriers for Europe to help UK establish a more credible threat against France by about T3-4.

UK production in S-Africa and Persia was a major factor in stopping Italian expansion and keeping them bogged down despite their growth to 45.

• '19 '18 '17

Thespaceman thanks for sharing what you did…

I am currently getting my butt kicked by not doing Taranto as well.

Also just lost Uk Pacific to a Japan amp assault of Calcutta– not looking good for me.

I have a lot to learn and a lot more reading to do!!

• I would not suggest going 100% Pacific with US for more than a turn at once.  Russia will fall easily if UK is held up with Italy.

Sounds to me like the Allies won that game due to poor Axis play.  I will have to give this no-Taranto strategy a go again next time I am UK to see for myself.

The important thing to remember is although it is very useful having the UK in the Indian Ocean, you cannot sacrifice Asia or Russia.  The place to lighten up is and should only be the Mediterranean.  This means that the US still needs to make a good contribution to Atlantic and UK has to keep Italy in check.

• @Cow:

So has anyone taken the medit fleet and shoved it toward Japan? I managed to do this with great success. I find that sometimes it is better than losing fleet to counter attacks. Haven’t done it enough for a full review

How far did you move UK Med fleet towards Japan?
    Did you merge it with US/Anzak fleet?
    Any additional buys via S.Africa or UK Pac.?
    Engage in combat(s)?

Sometimes it is enough to bring CR,CV, DD and BB to Persia sz 80. Build an IC plus NB to scare off IJN to even thinking about India with the US allready in Qnslnd.

• TripleA

Okay tried more UK on Japan action… found that Italy makes UK money quickly and that it is not worth it. LOL.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m