• Customizer

How old were you when you first learned to play A&A? what version did you learn to play on? for me, I first played when I was about 11 on the 1999 Europe, But I didn’t really learn how to play until highschool with the revised edition.

• First played 1941 when I was 57 years old. Despite my advancing years and declining mental capacity, I loved it immediately! :-D

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I was 15, played original. I chose USA.

When my first turn came around, I bought 3 research dice.  My first roll of A&A ever was 6 6 6.

This resulted in Super Subs, Industrial Production, and Heavy Bombers. (3 techs in one roll was valid per that edition of game rules at that time; or at least our groups agreed understanding of them haha!)

Needless to say, from that moment forward - I was hooked!!!

• '19 '17 '16

1988… not sure if that was BC or AD, it was a long time ago.  I was 17 years old, or in keeping with the times I was XVII years old.

Some high school friends invited me over to play the original version.  Within a few months I found others who liked to play, bought my own copy at Toys R Us, and the rest is history… ancient history.

• Sponsor

Classic edition in 1990, I was 18 years old.

• Classic, in Oct 87, in the second  week of University. I wanted to be Germany. can’t remember  which nation I played . But I know I wanted to be Germany again after that.
    I thought of not much else after those first few games .
    Took me two more years and many games , before  I bought my own copy . Had to go to the City for that!

• Disciplinary Group Banned

In 1984, and I was 20 years old. My brother got the game, and he was 13 years old. I definitely hooked on it big time. It was an addiction for me, and my brother. I quit playing in the early 2000s, but now I started playing again in the summer of 2017. The main A&A game that I play is 1941. The reason that it my main game is to introduce to the people that hasn’t played it yet, So far I played the game with eleven people, and I have more people that wants play that game with me that hasn’t play yet.  8-) 8-) 8-)

• '17 '16 '15

@Dauvio:

In 1984, and I was 20 years old. My brother got the game, and he was 13 years old. I definitely hooked on it big time. It was an addiction for me, and my brother. I quit playing in the early 2000s, but now I started playing again in the summer of 2017. The main A&A game that I play is 1941. The reason that it my main game is to introduce to the people that hasn’t played it yet, So far I played the game with eleven people, and I have more people that wants play that game with me that hasn’t play yet.   8-) 8-) 8-)

Awesome. You’re a true Axis and Allies prophet : )
    The more the merrier  :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Gargantua:

When my first turn came around, I bought 3 research dice.  My first roll of A&A ever was 6 6 6.
    This resulted in Super Subs, Industrial Production, and Heavy Bombers. (3 techs in one roll was valid per that edition of game rules at that time; or at least our groups agreed understanding of them haha!)

That’s awesome. Deserves a mention in the Worst Rule Distortions and Misrepresentations thread.

• Mid 80s  classic with my friend and his big brother. First game where 2 on 1 was fair for us.  Fan of the series ever science then.  Just the global versions. g 40 for me now.

• Early 2014
    MB GameMaster edition (second edition)
    Played it at a local game store in San Antonio, Texas with a full complement of 5 players.
    I played Germany. My wife (girlfriend at the time) taught the game and played Japan.
    Axis victory!

• @Gargantua:

I had a similar thing happen during my first time playing. I was Germany, and the game was already heading toward an Axis victory. Russia was already under German control, Great Britain had lost most of its territories and navy, and the USA had made the mistake of committing to an island hopping campaign in the Pacific rather than trying to invade Europe. Germany’s income was on the rise and I had IPC’s to burn, so I bought a handful of research dice just for kicks. I don’t remember which three techs I got, but at that point it really didn’t matter except to help me put the Allies out of their misery more quickly.

• @Gargantua:

Jeezzz thats when you knew you were holy !

For me 2010. Buddy brought out classic game at work. I was in awe. I said how the hell did I miss this game growing up. Been playing 3 different 39 games and my 40 game ever since.

• I was sixteen years old; it was the Christmas of 1996. I had been playing Risk and heard stories of a WWII game called Axis and Allies. I found the game at Toys-R-Us. My dad thought I was crazy paying over fifty dollars for a board game, but he did like the picture of Rommel on the front cover.

I was Germany my first game. Five of us played. I remember attacking capturing all of Africa. My friend’s father gave up saying the game was too long for his taste.

• @ABWorsham:

I was sixteen years old; it was the Christmas of 1996. I had been playing Risk and heard stories of a WWII game called Axis and Allies. I found the game at Toys-R-Us. My dad thought I was crazy paying over fifty dollars for a board game, but he did like the picture of Rommel on the front cover.

I was Germany my first game. Five of us played. I remember attacking capturing all of Africa. My friend’s father gave up saying the game was too long for his taste.

I wonder what your dad would have thought if he’d known that, a few years in the future, a two-part Global 1940 game costing about three times as much would come on the market, and I wonder what your friend’s dad would have thought if he’d known that this Global 1940 game would take about three times as long to play.

• '21 '18 '16

1992 at boy scout summer camp
    Classic Gamemaster Series. It was a great evening activity with lanterns on each end or the table. We ended up getting a second game set and brought it to winter camp so more guys could play.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I had broadsides and boarding parties as a kid, it was so fragile, that must have been what 87 88 89?  Fortress America too, though my first copy was detonated and im certain we didn’t finish…or understand.

And also, Conquest of Empire.  this actually was earlier for me, we played this around the dining room table say Junior Year so 1992?.  So many broken, missing pieces…sweet giant coins…gloating over your gelt

Then later, AxA.  This was played on the carpet in 1994 in Lawrence Ks, at KU.  Giant mug, so you can pour 3 full cans of frosty beer in there, so you only have to get up to pee.

Still somehow, we could never finish a damn game.  We really only argued about the rules, spilled beer, and fell asleep because we started setting up at 11pm.    Part of the problem was that we were trying to play at full-on parties, like keg parties?  Outsiders don’t get it…

Still have a mountain of taped-together boxes and obsolete editions

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

When you say your Fortress America was “detonated” lol, could you give us a bit more detail?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

My history with Fortress America is sorted;

Copy acquired, new 1988 or later?  Status: Lost in the Void;  Detonated

Copy acquired, 1995 off ebay,  xmas, thanks mom!  early collectibles buy.  G condition.    Status: In Collection

Salvage Opportunity 1998; Biking home from work at Price Chopper in 1998, see pile of “move-out” trash with tiny yellow, blue and red debris all over the curb.  Box shoved in trash, unusually heavy.  Pride?  No.  Scavenged 70% of units, box and board.    Box was unusually heavy, found 1/4 full of Evan Willams Whiskey Bottle, threw this down the sewer drain.    Kept the better of the two boxes, merged with my other set.  Status;  Archived and Salvaged

Copy acquired, 2013, 2nd ed.  VG+ condition.  Slightly disappointing very few substantial changes, good art design.  Played with Bob Roby, got schooled.    Status: In Collection.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@taamvan:

My history with Fortress America is sorted;

Copy acquired, new 1988 or later?   Status: Lost in the Void;  Detonated

Copy acquired, 1995 off ebay,  xmas, thanks mom!  early collectibles buy.   G condition.    Status: In Collection

Salvage Opportunity 1998; Biking home from work at Price Chopper in 1998, see pile of “move-out” trash with tiny yellow, blue and red debris all over the curb.   Box shoved in trash, unusually heavy.   Pride?  No.   Scavenged 70% of units, box and board.    Box was unusually heavy, found 1/4 full of Evan Willams Whiskey Bottle, threw this down the sewer drain.    Kept the better of the two boxes, merged with my other set.   Status;  Archived and Salvaged

Copy acquired, 2013, 2nd ed.   VG+ condition.   Slightly disappointing very few substantial changes, good art design.   Played with Bob Roby, got schooled.    Status: In Collection.

Love it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m