[House Rules] Axis get too much money

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Ichabod:

@Young:

Give the Americans a battleship off Washington and a battleship off Honolulu… That’s my quick solution for G40 balance.

Have you ever play tested that?

I know you’ve said that your group doesn’t like any kinds of bids that affect the Axis opening moves any way.

Giving stuff to the US doesn’t really affect the Axis opening moves.

If you are giving the US a Battleship in Hawaii, then you are effecting the Japanese turn if they decide to go after the Hawaiian Fleet. That could manipulate them to go for it now. I usually find Japan goes for it Battleship or not.

• '17

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Ichabod:

@Young:

Give the Americans a battleship off Washington and a battleship off Honolulu… That’s my quick solution for G40 balance.

Have you ever play tested that?

I know you’ve said that your group doesn’t like any kinds of bids that affect the Axis opening moves any way.

Giving stuff to the US doesn’t really affect the Axis opening moves.

Yes. I’m aware.

• The best way I’ve found to balance the G40 setup is to eliminate the Victory City conditions and play until either total annihilation or surrender. In my current game Japan has held all of the standard VCs as well as Calcutta, Moscow, Sydney and now Honolulu for many turns. The Allies are still looking good to win tho. US/UK/FRA have just wiped out Germany and are heavily threatening Japan’s front in and around Moscow. We are on round 13 and the allies are just now pushing back and look poised to win, when OOB rules would have called this for the Axis many turns ago.

And yes, this also means we pulled of a Gasp KGF.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

but you didn’t, because Japan won.  ;)

• House rules is house rules lol

• Axis only get to much money if they earn that money by taking out Allied areas and taking NO’S……thus, No, Axis do not get to much money if the Allies are playing smart.

When we talk about Axis getting to much money it is almost always based on Japans Income. If Japan is going hog wild, well, then the Axis have the game in the bag, IMO.

• I think the biggest imbalance to the game is Japan being able to threaten Moscow. In reality, even if Japan had won EVERY battle of the war, it is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for Japan to march across Asia. Depending on the route, there are vast deserts, mountains and frozen tundra to deal with, not including a supply line hell, and this doesn’t even take into affect that Japan doesn’t have the MANPOWER to do this.

Adding limits to Japan’s expansion on the Asian continent would be realistic.

• I’ve said it once, and I will not stop.

Global 1940 is imbalanced because China is useless versus and decided Japanese assault.

Don’t give more money to the biggest ally in the game.  Help the small guys.  China is perfect to upgrade for more reasons that one:
    1: they are ahistorically underpowered
    2: Japan gets deeper into China round one than they were in 1945
    3: Strong China prevents Japan from helping with Russia so much
    4: More Chinese fighting Japan = more American in Europe
    5: Simple setup changes and house rules can easily be implemented to without upsetting common things like J1.
    6: Most people make it like China is useless, but giving them a better chance will provide an all-around funner experience.

Some suggestion:
    Add Chinese infantry to the empty spaces
    Let them buy artillery all the time
    Let them buy AA when Burma road is open at beginning of turn.
    Allow Russian volunteers to be converted into Chinese troops. (Historical)
    Use some other well-known house rule like forcing Japan to cover every Chinese space or a partisan will pop up.

• @Charles:

I’ve said it once, and I will not stop.

Global 1940 is imbalanced because China is useless versus and decided Japanese assault.

Don’t give more money to the biggest ally in the game.  Help the small guys.  China is perfect to upgrade for more reasons that one:
    5: Simple setup changes and house rules can easily be implemented to without upsetting common things like J1.
    6: Most people make it like China is useless, but giving them a better chance will provide an all-around funner experience.

Some suggestion:
    Use some other well-known house rule like forcing Japan to cover every Chinese space or a partisan will pop up.

I’m a long time player of the classic game from the 80’s, and got bored of the routine play so stopped playing for many years…but never forgot the game I loved so much. Looking around I stumbled upon all these newer versions. I love it. Of all the versions I find myself liking G40 best. The China issue is MUCH IMPROVED than the classic game. I’m really impressed with making it tougher for Japan on the continent. But it doesn’t go far enough.

China is going through it’s own Civil War at the time, so it makes sense they are weakened and not allowed outside their territory. But can you imagine the HUGE MAINTENANCE of occupying China? I like the first and last of your suggestions: adding infantry to unoccupied Chinese territories and allowing for partisans in Japanese controlled but unoccupied territories…

A country so big and so populous as China isn’t going to allow for easy occupation.
    I suggest having Japan consolidate it’s power over a new territory(specific only to China) by having it occupied for 2-3 before leaving it unoccupied or insurrections is likely to occur via die role. After 2-3 turns(or whatever) they have pacified it so can leave it unoccupied. This doesn’t mean they can’t advance though. They just couldn’t advance with all of their troops. Some are required for garrison.
    So in short, Japan required to garrison Chinese territories with 1-2 ground units for 2-3 turns which quells potential uprisings. It just doesn’t make sense to be able to roll China like that.

But I don’t have a game or anyone to play with, so thanks to these forums I learned about TripleA and really have enjoyed that the past week or so I’ve been playing…but that means no adjustments either I think. I dunno. I only play against AI

• @Charles:

Some suggestion:

Wow…, I like that! Those are good ideas

• '17 '16 '15

you might want to give the “balanced” global mod a go savage. It handles China similar to what you suggest

• I am myself am writing several NO for China that are completely unique to their situation that will be part of my historical 1940 setup.

United China: If all Chinese territories are rule by China, China is now allowed to leave their territory under normal allied powers. Should Chinese territories be lost, any Chinese units outside China can continue to operate outside should the ruler choose to, if they return to China, they can’t leave until United China returns. Flying Tigers are now allowed to operate like a normal fighter under these rules.

Industrial Minor Power: Should China take control of a factory, they may now produce any unit as if they are a normal allied power. (this will obviously require all units or ‘borrow allied’ units to function. They may now buy tech.

Burma Road: They may now buy tanks and AA guns (reflects real life) (also on top of the normal rule of them being able to buy artillery)

I have more but I am currently getting them correct.

• '19 '17 '16

@Charles:

6: Most people maHow about the alternate possibility of reducing Japanese infantry in SE China at the start?ke it like China is useless, but giving them a better chance will provide an all-around funner experience.

Some suggestion:

I would add to this list, adding an extra flying tiger. Seems the ratio of the air strength is pretty historically accurate at present though.

I don’t really like the idea of allowing artillery to be bought all the time. AA Guns and amour might be ok.

How about the alternate possibility of reducing Japanese infantry in SE China at the start?

The idea of allowing the Soviets to help out the Chinese more usefully is quite interesting. Would you then allow the units to revert back to Russians?

• I like the Ideas proposed by both these guys. A thing I would like to add is kinda how the Chinese operate in AE. Along with their purchase, they get 1 infantry for every 2 territories they control.

• Well in G40 which takes place in 1940, the game itself says it takes place before the Soviet-Japanese non aggression (and it does) but then it does something stupid like giving the Flying Tigers which didn’t happen until after Pearl Harbor so the only ‘lend-lease’ air force in China should be one fighter and one tactical bomber FROM THE USSR, not US.

• '19 '17 '16

Flying Tigers which didn’t happen until after Pearl Harbor

Technically true but it was days after. Obviously significant preparation had been done before then and if Pearl Habour didn’t happen, the Flying Tigers would have gone ahead.

• @simon33:

Flying Tigers which didn’t happen until after Pearl Harbor

Technically true but it was days after. Obviously significant preparation had been done before then and if Pearl Habour didn’t happen, the Flying Tigers would have gone ahead.

That is very true however the reason why US recruited Mercenaries and gave them planes for the Chinese Air Force was because USSR withdrew their aircraft that was operating for China doing combat missions and training their pilots because of the Non-Aggression and since China lost support from Germany and USSR, they turned to the two closest powers near them which would be UK and US. In fact, if I really want to push history into G40, there should be airbases in China that are UK with UK AA guns being protected by UK infantry with a joint base with the Chinese and UK was doing this while they were neutral with Japan.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Caesar:

Well in G40 which takes place in 1940, the game itself says it takes place before the Soviet-Japanese non aggression (and it does) but then it does something stupid like giving the Flying Tigers which didn’t happen until after Pearl Harbor so the only ‘lend-lease’ air force in China should be one fighter and one tactical bomber FROM THE USSR, not US.

They where already in china just getting ready when pearl happened. They where formed well before pearl, if japan would have attacked a bit later the flying tigers would have had their first combat mission before pearl.
    Since China goes after japan the flying tigers are active after pearl could have happened. If japan choses not to do so ( unlike in the real war ) then the flying tigers would be active before pearl.

Not in 1940, according to G40, the time line sits at the spring of 1940 and my information says the Tigers were formed in April of 1941. And as I said before, they were formed to replace the now missing Chinese Air Force the Soviets withdrew due to their own non aggression pact with Japan. At the start of turn 1, the Chinese Air Force should be Soviet Pilots, not American.

• '17

@-Savage-:

I only play against AI

Why? That’s not playing.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Caesar:

Well in G40 which takes place in 1940, the game itself says it takes place before the Soviet-Japanese non aggression (and it does) but then it does something stupid like giving the Flying Tigers which didn’t happen until after Pearl Harbor so the only ‘lend-lease’ air force in China should be one fighter and one tactical bomber FROM THE USSR, not US.

They where already in china just getting ready when pearl happened. They where formed well before pearl, if japan would have attacked a bit later the flying tigers would have had their first combat mission before pearl.
    Since China goes after japan the flying tigers are active after pearl could have happened. If japan choses not to do so ( unlike in the real war ) then the flying tigers would be active before pearl.

Yes they were training in Burma and on Dec. 20th they had there first combat mission. Basically at that time just defending the Burma road. They had 3 squadrons with about 30 planes in each one.
    When Japan finally took over the AVG had to relocate into China. They disbanded in July of 42 and then being joined with US air forces. All the people involved were payed better too than normal service men and any kind of field they were in.

Some pilots even got  Chinese medals for there air combats. They were a bad ass little group.

They killed 297 enemy aircraft which 227 were killed in the air.

I do have in game where China can have 2 figs at all times in China. US and UK can build them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m