• I apologize if this has been asked or if it’s clearly in the rules. I’ve read the rules and just want some clarity…

Scenario:  During the Combat Move, attacker sets up an amphibious assault into a hostile sea zone. Attacker brings an aircraft carrier to take supporting hits for the sea battle. Both planes from the aircraft carrier had already took off and one is assigned to the sea battle, the other plane is assigned to the land battle to support the landing. Now the defender elects to scramble some fighters to help defend against the amphibious assault.

Questions:

1. Is the plane from the aircraft carrier that is assigned to the land battle have any part of the scramble combat at all?
    2. If the scramble was enough to tip the balance and the attacker retreated, then apparently there is no amphibious assault in the Conduct Combat phase. Since the plane from aircraft carrier assigned to the land battle was part of the overall amphibious assault, and there is no amphibious assault due to the successful scramble at end of Combat Movement phase, is the plane still committed to the combat on land as the lone attacker?

Same scenario, but the attacking aircraft carrier has only one participating plane, and has a friendly guest plane as cargo.

1. Is the guest plane still cargo in the event of a scramble? I would think yes since the scrambled planes are on defense, but just want clarification.

Thank you.

• From my understanding. The aircraft you sent to support your landing forces is completely ignored for air combat. The defenders fighters by pass it to engage the fleet and whatever air support you left to defend the sea zone.

Now lets say defenders aircraft dominated and got the carrier, your fighter still engages in land combat. Let’s assume it wins and survive, it has to move to a near by friendly territory, if that can’t happen, it crashes due to lack of fuel.

Allied aircraft doesn’t defend your fleet. (I find this incredibly stupid).

• '19 '17 '16

Also, if your carrier takes a hit in an attack while carrying an ally as cargo, that plane is trapped and cannot take off until the carrier is repaired. If the carrier is sunk, the plane is sunk with it.

Or in other words:

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

• Thank you both, I appreciate it. I also forgot about the damaged carrier rule.

I know a friendly(guest) plane parked on an allied carrier can provide air defense if it were attacked normally, but wasn’t sure about the scramble situation if this carrier was part of the attacking forces.

• '18 '17 '16

Here is a video on scrambling that might help you out, Savage;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhUsMuySeQ

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m