Question: How to minimise the damage from Germany swinging to the Middle East?

• Nothing you can do unless you paid attention and saw it coming. US could in theory get a force over there but s/he would of had to do it long before.

• '17

Simon,

I played a guy who managed to capture Iraq with the US on round 4 which helped him get the US in the War. It was interesting.

It’s hard for the UK to keep purchasing 3 fighters every round for Moscow when lots of ground is also needed to defend against Germany going south.

So, in a J1 attack scenario, the US could land a tank in French West Africa and send a few planes to get to Iraq for a capture on round 4. MIC is built on US 5, then on US turn 6 build 3 fighters or whatever makes sense…ect.

Normally, Germany gets to Bryansk on G5. If sending a huge stack south that can really threaten the Middle East, it might not make it to NW Persia until perhaps G8 or G9. So, in theory, the US could potentially get at least 3-4 builds before it’s threatened by Germany.

I don’t know, but what other way is there to prevent Germany from going south (other than a traditional KGF) if their staying force is concurrently strong enough to remain planted on Bryansk?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Germany goes south?  Russia pushes west!

That’s about it.

• @Karl7:

That’s about it.

The point of ignoring Moscow in this situation is to destroy other allied forces by having Germany go for both NO being oil and Afrika Korp or go east and beat Japan to India. I believe if Germany attacks from both north and south and then the southern flank goes into the middle east. USSR will still be too weak to counter the Northern German forces. I have personally done a similar thing to this where I tried to beat the other allies to reinforcing Egypt so I have Italy capture Egypt but I put a factory on it too late and UK was able to liberate it so I changed plans and had Italy reinforce Germany in USSR and had Italy stay in the south, and then split off and go for Iraq and Persia while Germany finished off Moscow, this was very successful. This lead to my only Axis victory to date.

• '19 '17 '16

@variance:

I think Simon33 is referring more to the idea that Germany pushes the bolsheviks back to Moscow then rolls the tank/mech force south.

Sorry if that was unclear.

@Karl7:

That’s about it.

Prioritise building artillery to strengthen the Soviet attack? Makes sense but it scares me. Much rather have more Soviet infantry!

• @simon33:

@variance:

I think Simon33 is referring more to the idea that Germany pushes the bolsheviks back to Moscow then rolls the tank/mech force south.

Sorry if that was unclear.

@Karl7:

That’s about it.

Prioritise building artillery to strengthen the Soviet attack? Makes sense but it scares me. Much rather have more Soviet infantry!

Artillery buff just depends on your numbers vs Germany.

• Russia’s primary purpose is to keep Germany busy. I believe a lot of players interpret that to mean “hold Moscow”, but that’s only a means to an end and should be disregarded if and when abandoning Moscow is a more effective means of keeping the Germans occupied than holding it.

Personally, I believe Russia should keep it’s ART numbers at around 50% of it’s infantry. A stack of 20 INF 9 ART vs 32 INF, for example, has a very small loss of defensive capacity for an enormous increase in offensive ability. You’re not going to be able to take the German stack head on, but it will allow you to keep Germany honest: to slow them down, keep them from splitting their forces and taking multiple objectives, force them to use their air defensively, etc. Without the offensive capacity Germany will leave you bottled up in Moscow building 2 infantry a turn while it continues to seize more industrial capacity.

A defensive battle, with Germany’s entire airforce in play, is unlikely to be in Russia’s interest in any case.

In other words, the best way to keep Germany from the Middle East is to slow the German advance as much as possible in the first turns, and then to maintain your ability to push back West as soon as they try to swing South.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

There are many situations where Russia has got to have punch because;

If Russia can viably attack the German stack, the Germans cant step up without crazy numbers or Italian help, which slows them down,

after G6, delays tend to decrease, not increase the German odds of winning.

Or, if Germans do step up, the Russians can attack one round, see what happens, then retire on their capital

The remaining problems
    Russia cannot go all in during these attacks because if they need to attack with everything and if they win, the capital is left open,  Russia can be destroyed economically without taking Moscow.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Once I’m bombed, with 30 IPCs, I can only produce around 6 units (if im lucky) to defend the capital, with 2-3 planes and 2 AAA.  Since the Axis is always mobile, they will snake you because they can go around you with armor and mechs, forcing you to choose to preemptively attack or defend, but not both.

• '19 '17 '16

Not only that, but 10 inf + planes is normally nowhere near enough to defend Moscow from Germany’s mobile force.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m