• '21 '20 '18 '17

if a sub is on the coast, you need a warship with the transport in order to unload from that SZ–not sure if that is the situation in your case but its an exception to the “subs don’t block movement or make a SZ hostile”.    There isn’t a sea combat unless the invader wants that…then you proceed to amphib.

• @P@nther:

Yes indeed, I have been referring to 2nd edition rules.

Yes, it was a 2nd edition question.  I haven’t played 2nd yet, and hadn’t noticed the rules change.

I though the “On Station” rule was cool, too bad they axed it.

• @zooooma:

I though the “On Station” rule was cool, too bad they axed it.

It is still part of the Submarine’s Units Characteristics:

First Edition:
    @rulebook:

On Station: Each submarine in a convoy sea zone is considered to be “On Station.” As such, it is spending more time in the
    sea zone and is more focused on locating and destroying convoys. While “On Station,” each submarine can cause the loss of 2
    IPCs (see Conduct Convoy Disruptions, pg. 20).

Second Edition:
    @rulebook:

On Station: Each submarine in a convoy sea zone is considered to be “On Station.” As such, it’s spending more time in the
    sea zone and is more focused on locating and destroying convoys. While “On Station,” each submarine rolls 2 dice when
    disrupting a convoy (see “Conduct Convoy Disruptions,” page 22).

• Right.

I didn’t mean the “on station” rules (my mistake).

I was referring to the exception to the “doesn’t block enemy movement” rules.

As for the On Station rules, looks like they got a nerf (and the U-Boat option also removed).  :(

• @zooooma:

As for the On Station rules, looks like they got a nerf (and the U-Boat option also removed).  :(

How that? It is about subs, and the 2nd ed. rules increase the possible IPC loss…

• @P@nther:

How that? It is about subs, and the 2nd ed. rules increase the possible IPC loss…

How can a sub disrupt more than 2 IPCs of damage in 2nd edition?

In 1st edition, subs cause the loss of 2 IPCs (optionally 3 for German subs).

In 2nd edition, subs only cause a 2 IPC loss if they roll well.  They average a 1 IPC loss.

Carriers now do no damage unless loaded with 2 planes (in which case they average 1 IPC in disruption)
    Other boats also went from disrupting 1 IPC to a 50/50 chance of disrupting 1 IPC.

Edit:
    I see now.  The actual results are totaled - not the number of successes…

• With the 2nd edition system, each die averages 1 IPC loss.  So mostly everything is the same but with added variance.  Otherwise the only differences are:

• No optional rule for U-Boats

• Fully loaded CVs inflict extra losses while unloaded CVs inflict no losses

This is actually pretty good, but I lament the loss of the U-Boat option.

• @zooooma:

…  Otherwise the only differences are:

• No optional rule for U-Boats

This is actually pretty good, but I lament the loss of the U-Boat option.

What exactly do you mean by “optional rule for U-Boats” / “U-Boat option” in the context of convoy disruption?

• 1st edition had an optional rule that German subs take 3 IPCs in a convoy raid instead of 2.

• @zooooma:

1st edition had an optional rule that German subs take 3 IPCs in a convoy raid instead of 2.

Ah ok, indeed.

I was thinking about another (temporarily discussed) rule during Alpha-development towards second edition rules,
    that increased all subs convoy raiding IPC-reduction to 3 when the “Super Subs” technology had been achieved.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m