What should Germany do with the Scandinavia troops?

• Hello.  I would like to ask for tips on how Germany should use its Scandinavia troops.

Assuming normal G2-J1/2 DOW, what should Germany do with the Scandinavia troops (7 inf)?

Especially when Japan DOW early, US might bring some fleet to Gibraltar in turn 2/3. 
    What should Germany do with the Scandinavia troops? to go all Russia and increase the G6 Moscow assault pressure, defend against (potential fake) American invasion, or others?

• It’s hard to say. When I deal with passive Japanese forces that don’t bring any other allies into the fight, I try to reinforce Finland to help with the invasion of USSR. I can’t see any other reason beyond that. I guess you COULD pull them out and save them for homeland defense however you might help USSR get 11 dollars for Norway and Finland.

• I usually keep two infantry in Norway if the UK has any transports in range in the first turn.  This prevents me having to make an extra effort to move back to recapture my NO, as they will likely deter any weak attack for a quick 3 IPC’s.  After that though, I send them east, as the UK will likely have moved that transport out of range of my air units.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

leave some in Finland

• TripleA

I just push them all to Russia. USA can have Norway.

• @ShadowHAwk:

Indeed if the US is strong enough to get there those 7 inf will not stop him anyway.

Norway is unfortunately a necessary lose for Germany, not much you can do to stop anyone from landing on it.

• I move all of the initial troops to Russia, but will keep reinforcing Scandinavia with 2 units per round as long as my transport lives.  Those guys plus bombers + fighters are a good way to deter the Allies from invading up there for quite a large number of turns.  I usually play for a very long-term win as Axis.

• Problem I have with using German air units is that you’re now removing another possibility to stop Allied naval forces when you move then to Finland.

• Thank you for your comments.

I initially think that the importance of Scandinavia in Europe is like money islands in Pacific, and US should try to take it before Germany builds enough bombers.  Then US can build MICs in Norway and Finland (like UK Persia-Iraq), not relying on transports too much.

However, if Germany leaves some inf in Finland, it will be difficult for the US to take and hold it, for example:

G1: produce 2 bombers, 2inf; leave 2inf in Norway/Finland; transport 2inf to Norway
    G2: produce 1 bomber, 2inf; transport 2inf to Norway
    G3: transport 1inf, 1art to Norway
    G4: produce bombers

[Assuming J1/J2 Dow]
    US1: produce 2 carriers, 1 destroyer, 1 transport
    US2: produce 1 carrier+2fig, 2 transport, land units (Pacific: 1 carrier, 1 transport)
    => US4 there are just 8 land units landing in Norway
        but Germany can retake Norway with >3 bombers, >=5inf, art

I think the 15 IPC swing plus US’s MICs would justify Germany leaves some inf there.  And if this is the case, is an early US focus in Europe a viable strategy for Allies (especially seeing Germany purchasing 2 bombers in G1)?  What are your opinions?

• @hcp:

Thank you for your comments.

I initially think that the importance of Scandinavia in Europe is like money islands in Pacific, and US should try to take it before Germany builds enough bombers.  Then US can build MICs in Norway and Finland (like UK Persia-Iraq), not relying on transports too much.

However, if Germany leaves some inf in Finland, it will be difficult for the US to take and hold it, for example:

G1: produce 2 bombers, 2inf; leave 2inf in Norway/Finland; transport 2inf to Norway
    G2: produce 1 bomber, 2inf; transport 2inf to Norway
    G3: transport 1inf, 1art to Norway
    G4: produce bombers

[Assuming J1/J2 Dow]
    US1: produce 2 carriers, 1 destroyer, 1 transport
    US2: produce 1 carrier+2fig, 2 transport, land units (Pacific: 1 carrier, 1 transport)
    => US4 there are just 8 land units landing in Norway
         but Germany can retake Norway with >3 bombers, >=5inf, art

I think the 15 IPC swing plus US’s MICs would justify Germany leaves some inf there.  And if this is the case, is an early US focus in Europe a viable strategy for Allies (especially seeing Germany purchasing 2 bombers in G1)?  What are your opinions?

The problem with that is that you’re now not building much against the land war for USSR or the coming liberation attempts by UK/US for France. I never liked the idea of defending those two territories but if even the choice, if the Allies are going to take them, do everything in your power to NOT let USSR have them.

• '19 '17 '16

@Cow:

Hmm. 8IPC for Norway, if USA extends to Leningrad then that is another 10IPC. The real trouble for Germany is in either the extension to Leningrad or massive strategic bombing on Germany’s major factories.

• @simon33:

@Cow:

Hmm. 8IPC for Norway, if USA extends to Leningrad then that is another 10IPC. The real trouble for Germany is in either the extension to Leningrad or massive strategic bombing on Germany’s major factories.

Nothing that really can be done about Norway unless Germany keeps it’s surface fleet alive and ferries troops across. It’s only going to take USA two turns to get there, one for UK, and even worse if USSR get Norway and Finland, that’s 11 dollars for two territories and it closes off a minor front.

• '19 '17 '16

Running a couple of tanks from Leningrad normally kills Scandinavia if USSR takes it.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Caesar:

@simon33:

@Cow:

Nothing that really can be done about Norway unless Germany keeps it’s surface fleet alive and ferries troops across. It’s only going to take USA two turns to get there, one for UK, and even worse if USSR get Norway and Finland, that’s 11 dollars for two territories and it closes off a minor front.

You can keep a detachment in finland to counter and a decent surface fleet to stop them invading.
    1 destroyer a round can keep US away pretty long. Especialy if they cannot stand your full airforce.

In my experience, USA usually is smart enough to bring a combat fleet with its transports to Norway. A lot of times I try to scare them south and force US to go after Italy. I find it easier defending Italy as Germany.

• Blocking it will just stale it from getting to Norway however as I said before, allowing US land on Norway is a lost cause for Germany to try to defend and I’d rather see USA have it than USSR.

• Right but if it wasn’t for Spread of Communism, I would just abandon those territories.

• '19 '17 '16

@ShadowHAwk:

All fun and stuff but if they cant get there then they cannot invade. 1 destroyer in SZ110 can block them.
    Also if your combat fleet is stronger in offence with your airforce he will lose both combat fleet and transports while gaining nothing.

This statement ignores the possibilities of the via Iceland route. Without a fleet large enough that USSR can’t clear it, there is no easy way of blocking that route if executed correctly.

• @simon33:

@ShadowHAwk:

All fun and stuff but if they cant get there then they cannot invade. 1 destroyer in SZ110 can block them.
    Also if your combat fleet is stronger in offence with your airforce he will lose both combat fleet and transports while gaining nothing.

This statement ignores the possibilities of the via Iceland route. Without a fleet large enough that USSR can’t clear it, there is no easy way of blocking that route if executed correctly.

Unless Germany goes up there and captures Iceland but in the end, you couldn’t stop the US from liberating it.

• '19 '17 '16

That is true. Early on, the USA can’t get a big enough navy to do much in the Med.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m