• '19 '17 '16

@GeneralHandGrenade:

You’re thinking of some kind of formal announcement where someone rings a bell first, clears their throat, and then declares for all to hear in an English accent that they intend to do an amphibious assault in Gibraltar.

I always tell my opponent after all of my moves are made what my intentions are with all of my attacks and so do most other people that I have ever played. The reason you’re supposed to announce that one in particular is that you could sneakily say " no, I was just moving my boats there with those 12 dudes on them, I had no intention of landing them" after your other attacks had failed and it was no longer a good idea to land them. Yes, you should tell your opponent you’re landing troops so they have a chance to scramble or not.

Well, you do have to unload the units in combat movement in spite of the combat in the SZ. Whether you do this by a verbal announcement or just moving the pieces onto the land makes no real difference.

@taamvan:

RULES:
    Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat, (if you win, this is the only way to get to NCM also, the TT didn’t fight or participate in combat)

Bit in red is incorrect.

In addition to points raised above, to remove any doubt this is also explicitly duplicated in the rules.
    @p13:

Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones
    At the beginning of the Combat Move phase, you might already have sea units (and air units on carriers) in spaces containing
    enemy units that were there at the start of your turn. For example, an enemy might have built new surface warships in a sea
    zone where you have sea units. When your turn comes around again, you are sharing that sea zone with enemy forces.
    If you are sharing a sea zone with surface warships (not submarines and/or transports) belonging to a power with which you
    are at war, this situation requires you to do one of the following:
    • Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat,
    • Leave the sea zone, load units if desired, and conduct combat elsewhere,
    • Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea zone to conduct combat (you can’t load units while in a hostile
    sea zone), or
    • Leave the sea zone and conduct no combat.
    Once these sea units have moved and/or participated in combat, they can’t move or participate in the Noncombat Move phase of the turn.

• When i play, i narrate all my moves. These guys are going here. And he’s coming in from here. They’re getting on the boat here and cruising over to here to pick up that empty spot (undefended coastal territory) im coming thru here and hitting here( blitz). Its they way i was taught when i first learned the game 25 yrs ago. Maybe he explained everything so i could learn. Maybe i kept explaining to teach. But now i explain everything. That should count as announcing.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Narrating the game keeps everyone on the same page even if they aren’t looking at the board–its like a running news feed, the game’s audio.

Thanks for clarifying that the Transport has no way of NCM during this situation, which is, like most of the confusing nuances, the product of a rare set of factors coming together at once.

• @Bob77:

When i play, i narrate all my moves. These guys are going here. And he’s coming in from here. They’re getting on the boat here and cruising over to here to pick up that empty spot (undefended coastal territory) im coming thru here and hitting here( blitz). Its they way i was taught when i first learned the game 25 yrs ago. Maybe he explained everything so i could learn. Maybe i kept explaining to teach. But now i explain everything. That should count as announcing.

Yes  pretty much the norm for us in are games. The defender should be watching anyway at all times. The attacker in are games will land the ground on what there attacking. No need for AA announce.  As far as a tournament then it should be brought up at beginning of games if thats the route you go.

• @taamvan:

Thanks for clarifying that the Transport has no way of NCM during this situation, which is, like most of the confusing nuances, the product of a rare set of factors coming together at once.

But it is possible and not only on SZ115.

@GeneralHandGrenade:

I smell a new “Know the Rules” video coming on.

Looking forward seeing it!  :-D

But one question remains, which I was not sure about:
    Is it possible to ignore a newly build sub if your fleet contains a destroyer?

• @ Fiera
    Yes. On you turn, your vessels can choose to ignore subs &/or transports. Doesnt matter if you have a destroyer or not. Your subs cannot ignore enemy destroyers.

• We had a game round last weekend and I was playing as the allies.
    The German declared war on Russia G1 moved their battleship, cruiser and transport to SZ115 and sunk the Russian cruiser and I thought, “Is that for real? My hypothetical question comes up in real life that fast!” So I purchased a destroyer and the funny thing was that he had not purchased ground units on Germany and moved all troops to Slovakia. That way he was not able to pick-up anything at SZ114. He delayed his attack on Leningrad for one round and sunk the destroyer. I think this delay (and of course the fun) was worth the 8 IPC .

@GeneralHandGrenade:

I smell a new “Know the Rules” video coming on.

@GHG: Your idea for an assault on Norway was way better than mine to move the boats to the med. (My opponent sunk SZ111 and kept me with SZ110)
    On the other hand I kept Italy down that way, made a landing in Northern Italy UK3 (which they countered) and one in Southern Italy US4.

• '19 '17 '16

Why wouldn’t Germany be able to pick up in SZ114? That’s not a hostile SZ.

• @Fiera:

… he had not purchased ground units on Germany and moved all troops to Slovakia.

In this specific case there where no units present to be picked up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m